Kingfish soft plastics

dufmack97

Recently getting in to soft plastics fishing due to how fun it looks, my difficulty in getting live bait and the overall hype surrounding them. I fish of the kayak from balmoral and go to grotto point. I just bought a pack of jig heads 1/2 ounce and size 5/0 hooks. I want to know which plastics to use and more specifically what sizes they should be.

My rod is heavy and probably not ideal for plastics (ugly stick platinum 15-37kg with shimano symetre 4000fl) and I have 30lb fins braid yet I'm sure it's still possible. I'm using 40lb flurocarbon leader is this right for me?

Thanks.

The reel is ok, I'd just put it on 8kg graphite rod. You can pick one up for under $100.

As for plastics, take your pick, any plastic could work on any given day using any given retrieve. Your best bet would be to buy a few different typs and rotate between. I found smaller kings will go squidgie paddle tails, larger ones, gulp jerk shad in the 6 inch or there abouts.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Yeah as harry said, you have to mix it up, what works one day might not work the next, even if you do the exact same thing. Different colours, shapes and sizes. I've caught kings on 6 inch flick baits, 4 inch paddle tail minnowz and 5 inch jerk shads. From the yak you could also troll the plastics while moving from a - b.

I would definitely invest in a lighter rod though, you'll need a meter long kingy to even feel the bite on that thing LOL

Edited by Linc

• 1 month later...