Last few top water bream outings

Robinsoi

Hey Raiders,
After a hectic week at work last week I needed some fishing therapy last weekend so I checked out the fishing variables and this is how they stacked up on the day:
Tide: Morning high of 1.7m :)
Weather: Overcast with showers and light winds :)
Barometer: 1000 and falling even lower :(
Mrs & Kids: In a good mood and supporting my therapy :yahoo:
I thought 3 out of 4 ain't bad so went out fishing the first 3 hours or so of the run out tide on the flats around I.C.
It took me a while to get my eye in while trying a few different surface lures both walkers & poppers with varying retrieves and covering ground but no interest what so ever. I finally got off the mark when I made the switch to a shallow diving chubby and scored a nice little bream:
12624568593_32a2b3f96e_z.jpg
Another lure change and tied on my newly acquired sugarpen again which resulted this time in almost instant success firstly pulling the hooks on a couple then scoring 3 whiting in quick succession that provided good sport in the shallows on a light drag:
12624569573_af4539c1e3_z.jpg12624569883_aec1f77a2c_z.jpg
12624570343_40b585e4a2_z.jpg
Then to end the session this nice bream payed me a visit and gave a good account of itself and made a real mess of the front owner treble:
12624570893_7b77f90c04_z.jpg
Just after that things went quiet again and my young kids gave me a call saying they wanted me to join them for lunch at home so it was a good time to pull up stumps and spend some quality time with the family :)
I must say how relaxing and peaceful it was fishing in the light rain even when things were quiet, very therapeutic indeed :thumbup:
These are some of the better ones from a few top water outings around the Parra system during the last two months or so:
12624389725_78a191565b_z.jpg12624390315_77aa1585fc_z.jpg
12624390865_a3628c329a_z.jpg12624391165_66651b6746_z.jpg
12624391195_349c6d6246_z.jpg
All fish safely released to fight another day.
Many thanks in advance for any comments posted.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Happy Fishing & All the Best
Ian

Those sugar pens are working a treat for u mate!

Did the whiting take the walkers on the pause (assuming u were pausing for bream)?

Ive been trying to have a crack at the surface lures. What retreives are u using?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the nice words much appreciated!

Jawno: The whiting took the walker while it was moving briskly and doing it's thing. I found that by shaking the rod at the same time as winding the handle (rather than say twitching and winding) created a crazy zig zag action and that's when they hit it. The bream hit the walker on the pause. For sure give the surface lures a crack mate it's a very visual and exciting way to fish and it gets the heart pumping hard. Just mix up your retrieves a bit to see what they want on the day as I've had bream chase down lures while they were moving too. I'm no gun but this has worked for me. Good luck and hope you get into a few on the surface!

Pete: Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the report. I'm looking forward to reading your next chapter in your quest for another mulloway on lure.

Have a top weekend.

Ian

Jawno: The whiting took the walker while it was moving briskly and doing it's thing. I found that by shaking the rod at the same time as winding the handle (rather than say twitching and winding) created a crazy zig zag action and that's when they hit it. The bream hit the walker on the pause. For sure give the surface lures a crack mate it's a very visual and exciting way to fish and it gets the heart pumping hard. Just mix up your retrieves a bit to see what they want on the day as I've had bream chase down lures while they were moving too. I'm no gun but this has worked for me. Good luck and hope you get into a few on the surface!

A great post with top pics of good fish. And thank you for the very detailed description of using your lures. As they used to say the proof is in the pudding.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Paikea

• 1 month later...

Nice post mate. I'm a big fan of hitting bream on the surface although the past two weekends have been very slow going. Most of my fish are caught on atomic k9 walkers in muddy prawn but also lucky craft nw pencil in cicada and the good ol OSP bent minnow.

Can't wait for next summer when the water temps are up and the bream are smashing the surface again.