Making Ball Sinker Lures

Paikea

Fishing in New Zealand I used some lures made using ball sinkers combined with Nuclear Chicken plastics. They were devastating on both Kingies and Snapper.

When I got back I had a go at making my own using a large ball sinker mold. Easy to do, except that you need to modify the mold to take the connecting eyes for both the hooks and snaps.

The great part of these lures is that the hooks are connected via a ring that allows the hooks to swing free instead of the usual way where the hooks are cast into the head which then gives a head shaking fish some purchase against the lure and the possibility of throwing the lure.

The following pics demonstrate the (crudely painted) prototype that I cast. I tested them in a pool to see them flutter down faster than a speeding Leatherjacket with a very seductive action.

I am currently modifying a No 6 Ball mold to cast some smaller heads and will likely do even smaller ones in future. If anyone is interested I will take pics of the process and post them in due course.

Please note these are strictly for my home use, no commercial involvement or intent, just a way for Raiders to copy the system and make their own cheap lures..

However, Scratchie if you would like to try the finished product in Port Stephens and post some results I will be happy to send one of each size. (Be a while before they will be finished) Re the smaller ones they may be something to test on Bream and Flathead using the rip and stop action that will cause the lure to jump of the bottom and rapidly flutter back down. That will be your job Roberta, that is, if you accept the challenge. Ha Ha.

The basic lure with crude paint job.

The combination that worked superb in deep water in NZ.

The No 6 Ball mold ready to be modified to take the eyelets.

Cheers

Paikea

Fishing in New Zealand I used some lures made using ball sinkers combined with Nuclear Chicken plastics. They were devastating on both Kingies and Snapper.

When I got back I had a go at making my own using a large ball sinker mold. Easy to do, except that you need to modify the mold to take the connecting eyes for both the hooks and snaps.

The great part of these lures is that the hooks are connected via a ring that allows the hooks to swing free instead of the usual way where the hooks are cast into the head which then gives a head shaking fish some purchase against the lure and the possibility of throwing the lure.

The following pics demonstrate the (crudely painted) prototype that I cast. I tested them in a pool to see them flutter down faster than a speeding Leatherjacket with a very seductive action.

I am currently modifying a No 6 Ball mold to cast some smaller heads and will likely do even smaller ones in future. If anyone is interested I will take pics of the process and post them in due course.

Please note these are strictly for my home use, no commercial involvement or intent, just a way for Raiders to copy the system and make their own cheap lures..

However, Scratchie if you would like to try the finished product in Port Stephens and post some results I will be happy to send one of each size. (Be a while before they will be finished) Re the smaller ones they may be something to test on Bream and Flathead using the rip and stop action that will cause the lure to jump of the bottom and rapidly flutter back down. That will be your job Roberta, that is, if you accept the challenge. Ha Ha.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_1349.JPG

The basic lure with crude paint job.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_1348.JPG

The combination that worked superb in deep water in NZ.

The No 6 Ball mold ready to be modified to take the eyelets.

Cheers

Paikea

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_1350.JPG

Posted Image

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Do they make any with larger leads?

That is the whole point of the ones that I saw in NZ, they really plummet down which a lighter lead may not.

But, your one should cast like a bullet and work well in shallower water. Thanks for showing us.

Cheers

Paikea

• 3 weeks later...

"Mate those kind of jig heads already exist although not in huge amounts of sizes there's the elevator jig/rig made by nitro/ Berkley. In NZ I believe is called the captains rig. Also tt lures make a weedless version called the snakehead jig head I have the snakeheads in 1/6 oz on a 2/0 worm hook same deal as your jigs where the hook moves independently of the lead weight"

How have you found these jigs? Are the smaller versions effective fish catchers? The big ones certainly are.

Cheers

Paikea