Christening The Boat & Drama

nanman

Hi Raiders,
Like many others before me, I thought I'd share my special experience on this awesome forum.
After around 20 years of dreaming to have my own boat finally it happened. Last month I bought a second hand Quintrex estuary angler 420 from an owner who had hardly used it and had looked after it immaculately. The paint work is as good as new, no scratches & the 40hp Yamaha was top condition. I just wish I could maintain it in the same way but fear I may not be able to because I have no boating experience what so ever. In fact the reason for getting this boat was for me to get used to things so I can go for a bigger one later.
Anyway, I fitted it with a Lowrance Elite 7 as my primary aim is to fish in it but its was getting to almost a month sitting outside my house without getting a chance to put it in water. Finally though this Sunday I got my chance and so decided to take it to the Haweksbury for a test run with my family joining me on the maiden voyage. The main aim was to get to know the boat and get some practice at reversing, launching and loading back on to the trailer as well as to play round the Elite 7 and figure out how to use it effectively.
I was hoping the ramp would be not so busy so I could take my time but not to be it was quite busy. Fortunately though the people were quite patient and friendly so I was not too tense. After few attempts driving back and forward with my wife on the UHF guiding me, I managed to get it in the water. Then came the next challenge, finding parking and reversing on my own while wife & kids waited at the boat. The car park was full but luckily there was one spot left so I had several goes at reversing but it just didn't go right so I decide to do a circle to get the trailer straight but to see when I came back another guy reversing into my spot! Luckily I found another spot on the side of the road away from the ramp without having to reverse!

Left the ramp as soon as possible to let those very patient and polite people to have their turn and we were away. We cruised around for about 2.5hrs doing a circle around Danger Island and then back under the bridge and headed toward Milson Island before heading back to the ramp. The Elite 7 was working well, spotted lot of bait fish around and some large arches in deep holes. As much as I wanted to drop a line it wasn't going to be possible with my very impatient 2 year old. So I marked the spots to come another day.
The ramp was rather busy coming back so we had to circle around for a while to get our turn to come in. The pressure was on to not stuff up and embarrass myself in front of all the people so I was bit tense. Never the less, managed to come in slow and steady with my wife doing a great job as a first time deck hand securing the boat with a rope. A nice gentleman came to offer help but wife had done the work in a flash so it was all sorted quickly.
Getting it back on the trailer wasn't too bad apart from reversing it again! Once the trailer was on the water I guided the boat on to it with a rope tied to the nose and then winched it on and we were way from the ramp quite relieved and pleased with the efforts and the fact that the kids had a great time really made it all worth while.

I had some of drama though when we got home and this is perhaps something I could get some advice from the members here. I flushed the engine with ear muffs attached and made sure it ran for about 5mins and checked that the water is coming out warm from the pilot hole. After that was sorted I let the engine cool for a while and decided to give the engine a bit a of a clean so took off the cowling and ran a very gentle trickle of water avoiding the plugs etc. I started the engine again thinking when it warms up it would get rid of any moisture but that's when I spotted trouble. Water was no longer coming out of the pilot hole. I let it run for about a minute still no water was coming out of the pilot hole and then the alarm started beeping for over heating alert so I quickly shut the engine off. I could feel it was quite warm so let it cool down for a while and tried again and no luck so I shut off the engine straightaway this time.
I really hope it hasn't overheated and caused any permanent damage and I'm not sure why the water stopped pumping through. I guess the impeller stopped working but why? Could it be because of water getting into any circuitry when washing? I cant think of any other reason for it to fail all of a sudden but thankfully it didn't happen when we were on the water on day one. Any thoughts and advise are welcome.

Nans

post-20168-0-47094100-1393248626_thumb.jpg

Hi Nans, you certainly want to ensure the discharge from the pilot hole is working before venturing away from the boat ramp. Try putting your motor into a large bin filled with water and start it again. If it doesn't run through in a few seconds shut it off and run a quick check on the lines (plastic tubing). Unlikely you will find it blocked though. Possible you may have damage to the impeller...especially if the boat isn't used fairly frequently. Outside of that have it checked out by a service person, it will pay off in the long run. Good luck. Neil.

Hi Nanman

A nice little boat that you have, and for your first post you did well to include a pic.

You were lucky that people at the ramp were patient with your attempts to get the boat in the water. I have seen some nasty confrontations at some ramps over time.

You definitely need to practise your backing skills, may I suggest that you do that using your mirrors, not looking back over your shoulder. That way you will instantly see which way the boat/trailer or just the trailer is heading when you back.

Just remember that when you turn your steering wheel to the right the back of the boat/trailer will also turn right, turning the wheel left will cause the boat/trailer to turn left.

Another thing to remember is that it takes a few meters backing before you will see a marked change in the angle of the boat/trailer however by that time you have probably overcorrected and you have to go forward again to have another go.

Possibly the easiest way to learn to back a boat/trailer is to find a quiet road and try to back the boat/trailer in a straight line. Watch the rig in your mirrors and as soon as the back of it goes one way or the other turn the steering wheel to correct it and keep it straight. Do that for a couple of hours and you will be backing the rig at a good pace. After that it will be relatively simple to "bend" the rig around corners and into parking spots or down the ramp.

As to running water over the engine that is a big no no. The seal on the cowl is there for a good reason and water should not get inside it. If you want to spray some WD40 or Innox over the motor, that will not harm the unit.

Finally, your overheating problem is something that you need to have a qualified mechanic look at. You can do an awful lot of expensive damage if the motor overheats.

Good luck with your new rig and your backing.

Cheers

Paikea.

Thanks very much for your very helpful replies Big Neil & Paikea. It's much appreciated and I will take them onboard & practice them.

Oh yea I've heard lot of stories of things getting nasty at ramps. Hope I never encounter any of these people.

Just curious, does putting the engine in a large bin of water do anything different to flushing with ear muffs? I guess water would have to get sucked up rather than pushed up with pressure & also allows additives like saltaway to be introduced?

Also, does anyone know where to get hold of a service manual for a Yamaha 40VTOL? I have couple of mechanic friends who is willing to have a look at it but they don't have any experience with boat engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nanman

"Just remember that when you turn your steering wheel to the right the back of the boat/trailer will also turn right, turning the wheel left will cause the boat/trailer to turn left."

Oops, BIG mistake! It should be the other way around. Turn the wheel right when you are backing and the back of the boat/trailer will go to the left.

I wrote the post in a hurry as I had an early appointment, got in my car and realised that I had given you a bum steer. Sorry about that.

Cheers

Paikea

Congratulations on the new boat mate!I have one myself.

As the others said only give engine a spray with inox/lanox and try to avoid wd 40 where possible as it washes away grease from your linkages etc and can eventually eat away rubber/plastics.

Unfortunately my guess is you've already fried the impellor as it doesn't take long due to no lubrication from water.

I'd be getting someone like Huey one of the site sponsors to change it out for you ,or it's a easy job to do yourself if you have the knowledge/tools.

He may be able to point you in the right direction chasing a service manual or ring Yamaha direct.

You may as well try sticking a wire in the tubing now and try blowing some compressed air through to see if there's a blockage but I doubt it.

I would still change the impellor for peace of mind even if it works.

In Regards to backing the trailer try holding your hands at 6 o, clock on the steering wheel and whichever way you want to turn the trailer turn in that direction.I.e left ti turn trailer left and right to turn trailer right.

Otherwise keep hands on top of steering and use side mirrors, when you see to much trailer in right mirror turn right.

Too much trailer in left mirror turn left.

Use small steering inputs at a time and go slow and steady.

It, s also easier ti back to the right if possible when turning as you have a good view of the boat and don't lose it in your left mirror when backing left.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

"Just remember that when you turn your steering wheel to the right the back of  the boat/trailer will also turn right, turning the wheel left will cause the boat/trailer to turn left."

Oops, BIG mistake! It should be the other way around. Turn the wheel right when you are backing and the back of the boat/trailer will go to the left.  

I wrote the post in a hurry as I had an early appointment, got in my car and realised that I had given you a bum steer. Sorry about that.

Cheers

Paikea

Haha.. I thought that didn't sound right but a novice like me wasn't going to questions it. Thanks for correcting it before I took it out again for some practice.

"bum steer" - nice choice of words!

Congratulations on the new boat mate!I have one myself.

As the others said only give engine a spray with inox/lanox and try to avoid wd 40 where possible as it washes away grease from your linkages etc and can eventually eat away rubber/plastics.

Unfortunately my guess is you've already fried the impellor as it doesn't take long due to no lubrication from water.

I'd be getting someone like Huey one of the site sponsors to change it out for you ,or it's a easy job to do yourself if you have the knowledge/tools.

He may be able to point you in the right direction chasing a service manual or ring Yamaha direct.

You may as well try sticking a wire in the tubing now and try blowing some compressed air through to see if there's a blockage but I doubt it.

I would still change the impellor for peace of mind even if it works.

In Regards to backing the trailer try holding your hands at 6 o, clock on the steering wheel and whichever way you want to turn the trailer turn in that direction.I.e left ti turn trailer left and right to turn trailer right.

Otherwise keep hands on top of steering and use side mirrors, when you see to much trailer in right mirror turn right.

Use small steering inputs at a time and go slow and steady.

It, s also easier to back to the right if possible when turning as you have a good view of the boat and don't lose it in your left mirror when backing left.

Cheers.

Fab 1 offered the following good advice:

"Otherwise keep hands on top of steering and use side mirrors, when you see to much trailer in right mirror turn right.

Use small steering inputs at a time and go slow and steady".

Another tip that you may find useful is to deliberately "snake" the trailer from side to side with small corrections of the steering wheel as you back. That way you will avoid jack knifing the rig.

Take your time and practise and very soon you will be like all the old hands whinging about other guys taking too long to get their rig in the water. :ranting2:

Cheers and keep posting. That is what makes this site great.

Paikea

I got that tip from

Someone at the boat ramp when I first got my boat, see the boat in the mirror steer towards that mirror. With that one tip it's pretty easy to reverse down the ramp. Always remember car off in gear and handbrake up I never leave my car running with just the handbrake up.

Might sound silly but didn't you put the earmuffs back on and turn the tap on again when you ran the engine again at home?

I got that tip from

Someone at the boat ramp when I first got my boat, see the boat in the mirror steer towards that mirror. With that one tip it's pretty easy to reverse down the ramp. Always remember car off in gear and handbrake up I never leave my car running with just the handbrake up.

Might sound silly but didn't you put the earmuffs back on and turn the tap on again when you ran the engine again at home?

Thanks mike2153 & Fab1 for your advice as well.

I've also seen this tip on iFish.. Works well but still need to practice.

mike2153, I did have the tap running on all occasions & water was actually leaking out of the muffs so there would have been enough supply to go through.

Reading over your description of events I would say it is something simple like your ear muffs need to be readjusted over the intake hole or something. I don't think you wrecked the impellor just by rinsing the top of the engine lol, and you said you had just ran the engine before and it was pumping water ok.

As to running water over the engine that is a big no no. The seal on the cowl is there for a good reason and water should not get inside it. If you want to spray some WD40 or Innox over the motor, that will not harm the unit.

Why is it a big no no? I'm not saying its ok or not just asking. Although, my Suzuki and other engines I've seen have an opening at the rear of the engine. I mean, if it was sealed how would the engine get air?

My engine has taken water inside the cowling from this opening as it splashed up over the rear of the boat while reversing. This left the engine with salt crystals on the surface so I lightly rinsed them off with fresh water making sure to avoid the air intake. If the engine is capable of being splashed with saltwater I was thinking it cant be worse to rinse it off.

"Why is it a big no no? I'm not saying its ok or not just asking. Although, my Suzuki and other engines I've seen have an opening at the rear of the engine. I mean, if it was sealed how would the engine get air?"

I think you will find that the air intakes on outboards are constructed/positioned in a manner that will make it difficult for water to get in but provide a clear path for air. Outboards have an awful lot of electronics packed in under the cowl, although they would be encapsulated etc I don't want to run the risk of having water enter some part that will affect the running of the motor. For example, if the shrouds on your plug leads have any tears or cracks in them (even minute ones) water could cause a problem.

Not being an expert but relying on my experience with outboard breakdowns at sea over the years I do hope that Huey will join in and offer some advice on this one.

Cheers

Paikea

Always take your time at the ramp when learning, if you explain that you are a novice most people will understand and probably lend a hand. When you rush and are nervous thats when you make mistakes like not trimming motor up, forgetting bungs etc

Still think it's worth putting your motor in a bin filled with water, as often the ear muffs don't create a good water flow. It won't do any more harm provided you turn the motor off when it's obvious it isn't working. You may well find it does work. I always flush my Yamaha with salt away after using it in the sea and I have no trouble from it...though I have replaced the impellor once. They are only plastic and can be damaged fairly easily. Good tips provided re backing the trailer. As mentioned, use your side mirrors. If the trailer appears in the left mirror...left hand down and if it appears in the right mirror...right hand down. Practise it and it will help. You will be able to find enough info on the internet to allow your mate to change the impellor, just make sure you get the correct one. Good luck mate, Neil.

• "I got that tip from someone at the boat ramp when I first got my boat, see the boat in the mirror steer towards that mirror."

Mike, that has to be the best tip that I have heard of. Too easy!

Thanks for sharing that will all of our novice trailer drivers.

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Nanman,

I'll offer some advice, but I'm not 100% sure on this... The impeller I think slots onto the shaft that ultimately turns your propeller. So here's a quick and simple test:

1. Turn on your motor
  2. Put it in gear

At this stage, if your prop is spinning and there's no water coming from the hole, we can generally say your Impeller is gone.

Tip: When I fit the muffs on my motor, I push it in on both sides, in and out a number of times, to loosen up the hard rubber so it forms a better suction.

Good luck mate!

Still think it's worth putting your motor in a bin filled with water, as often the ear muffs don't create a good water flow. It won't do any more harm provided you turn the motor off when it's obvious it isn't working. You may well find it does work. I always flush my Yamaha with salt away after using it in the sea and I have no trouble from it...though I have replaced the impellor once. They are only plastic and can be damaged fairly easily.

Thanks Big Neil,

I'll give this a try this afternoon and tell you how it goes. I would still like to get it checked though even if it works to be safe

Hi Nanman,

I'll offer some advice, but I'm not 100% sure on this... The impeller I think slots onto the shaft that ultimately turns your propeller. So here's a quick and simple test:

• Turn on your motor
  • Put it in gear
At this stage, if your prop is spinning and there's no water coming from the hole, we can generally say your Impeller is gone.

Tip: When I fit the muffs on my motor, I push it in on both sides, in and out a number of times, to loosen up the hard rubber so it forms a better suction.

Good luck mate!

Hi, shouldn't the impeller work in neutral as well? I'm certain it worked in neutral when I tried before.

Yes the impeller definitely should be working in neutral. It was more of a "narrow down" the issue and investigate.

You have a real tricky one there, possibly your impeller is gone or something is blocking the water flow. Most people would remove the lower leg and check the impeller first. If you have tools and like to get your hands dirty, go to youtube, there's heaps of videos on how to replace the impeller.

Thanks Big Neil,

I'll give this a try this afternoon and tell you how it goes. I would still like to get it checked though even if it works to be safe

Great news guys, I tried what Big Neil suggested this afternoon and water is coming out of the pilot hole with plenty of pressure. I ran it until the water felt warm which didn't take too long.

Now, is it safe to assume all is ok? I would be certainly keeping a close eye on this on the next few trips.

Thank you all for your advice. I have learned a lot out of my very first post and this is indeed an awesome forum which I look forward to be a part of for a long time to come.

I think I will be using a large bucket of water rather than ear muffs from now on just to be safe. Sounds like cleaning the engine with Inox is the way to go as well and yes, plenty of practice reversing using the tips provided to master the skill.

Thanks again all!

Great news guys, I tried what Big Neil suggested this afternoon and water is coming out of the pilot hole with plenty of pressure. I ran it until the water felt warm which didn't take too long.

Now, is it safe to assume all is ok? I would be certainly keeping a close eye on this on the next few trips.

Thank you all for your advice. I have learned a lot out of my very first post and this is indeed an awesome forum which I look forward to be a part of for a long time to come.

I think I will be using a large bucket of water rather than ear muffs from now on just to be safe. Sounds like cleaning the engine with Inox is the way to go as well and yes, plenty of practice reversing using the tips provided to master the skill.

Thanks again all!

Hi. Glad you sorted it out. You may find if you attach your ear muffs and pay careful attention to get them in the correct position over the intake holes it may work as I suggested earlier.

I normally use the bucket to flush as well. But when at the ramp or away from home I find it more convenient to use ear muffs. Its good to learn to use them on your engine if you ever need to.

Regarding Inox, its up to you whether you use it or not but you will not clean your engine by spraying in on there.

I know some people like to spray it on their engines but I don't for a few reasons. It will make the entire surface permanently oily and everything that contacts it will stick to it. It can penetrate areas that are supposed to be sealed and make them not sealed anymore. Hoses under pressure can blow off etc.

Good Point about being able to flush at ramps Roylo. Thanks!

I did actually move it around fair bit to see if it worked as well & it did work previously so not sure what happened. I'm thinking the bubbles coming from the hose perhaps prevented water getting pumped up whereas in a bucket the volume of water is air free. Just my thoughts I'm not too sure.