Christening The Boat & Drama

nanman

Reversing is a matter of practice. And I've found that if you don't go at peak time, people on the ramp have more patience and are willing to help. it does not cost me anything to ask if the person getting in or out needs some help, it only speeds up things. And I've been glad to have someone helping me at times

On rinsing the engine: I do that every 3-4 times I go out. There is constant water sprays when out, and salt will deposit itself on the engine, starting corrosion. I had no problem with electricity after flushing, only a bit of a stutter till the unidity from the intake is "digested" by the engine.

One thing I am surprised nobody mentioned is: Prepare your boat before you get into position to reverse. I've seen it many times, people getting in reversing position at the ramp, while I was preparing my boat, and then they start to get the bags on, rods on, putting up plags and antennas, removing the strap-down and so on, while I would have been ready to go.

Hi, impeller spinswhen engine runs, would not keep cool at idle other wise.

as long as water comes out of the prop and up near the leg then impeller is ok.

Assuming water is coming out of these areas,while the muffs are on, then problem is salt buildup at the tell tail.

Try to unblock the tell tail with a bit of wire.

i need to do this every trip, so my tell tail works.

Hi, impeller spinswhen engine runs, would not keep cool at idle other wise.

as long as water comes out of the prop and up near the leg then impeller is ok.

Assuming water is coming out of these areas,while the muffs are on, then problem is salt buildup at the tell tail.

Try to unblock the tell tail with a bit of wire.

i need to do this every trip, so my tell tail works.

Hi,

Good to know impeller is ok.

What is tell tail? Sorry I'm still learning all this.

it can only take some sand that gets sucked up to fowl an impellor and although this may not be your case as soon as that water stops flowing for even a minute or two damage is being done to the rubber of the impellor,

my dads 30hp four stroke did the same and the impellor needed to be replaced , my old savage with a 40hp merc had the impellor stop while at botany bay , once home we dropped the leg off to find it was missing two of five rubber fins causing it to fail.

Depending on your boats age and last service? this impellor should be done on a 100hr service or every year there abouts .