Port Kembla Breakwall 27/2

DaveTheBoy

Hi guys - I am planning to try my luck from Port Kembla breakwall (Sth) early tomorrow morning, hoping for king/bonito/tailor etc.

I've just been out & caught a few nice squid which I will use for bait, and flick a few lures about also.

If you'd like to join me I'd be happy for some company please send a pm.

Dave

Guest Aussie007

Dave back in 2010 me and a mate were pulling up king after king at the south break wall, when u walk to the point all the fish hold at around the 10 o'clock mark and there only out around 10 meters from the break wall, we were in a tinny using a downrigger but the fish were 70cm some bigger some smaller i also caught a baby amberjack as a bicatch

I fish it often from a kayak and most fish landed are in casting distance from the breakwall. Most fish at sunrise on live yakka or slimy mackerel, so best get there really early. Not sure if gates are closed at that time though. Recent catches include kings, bonnies, tailor, salmon, and last weekend I got my first samson fish there. Few weeks ago got a big hammerhead on a slimy at sunset from the boat, Easily possible landbased but use a wire trace. So to answer your question, it is fishing great at the right times of the day.

The breakwall is a good spot but what frustrates me is that even if you turn up early and get a good spot close to the water people turn up later and just cast over your head from behind you... I wish they would make breakwalls a bit more fisherman friendly. There's only about 4 or 5 good spots at the end and even then you gotta clamber over the slippery rocks because filthy people like to leave rotting bags of pilchards on the rocks with oil leaking out all over the rocks...

Not to mention the fact that 99% of the kings ive seen caught off there are undersized(still good fun), but I don't think I have seen one get thrown back yet... And it stinks up the end real bad, well it did when I was there 2 weeks ago.

It's still good spot I just wish more people would look after it.

Agree with all of the comments here and thanks for your help.

Onemancrew - I must have been blessed as I had the entire wall to myself today, but I also carried back with me a bucket full of other peoples garbage that was left behind, and I could have filled a few more if i could carry them. You will be pleased to know that I did put back a few rats, keeping one legal fish for the table. I'll post a report shortly.

Gazza - you were bang on my man, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Guest Aussie007

Onemancrew - I must have been blessed as I had the entire wall to myself today, but I also carried back with me a bucket full of other peoples garbage that was left behind, and I could have filled a few more if i could carry them. You will be pleased to know that I did put back a few rats, keeping one legal fish for the table. I'll post a report shortly.

no worries mate glad to see the kings back there :)

That's awesome, I'm guessing being midweek had a lot to do with you having it all to yourself... Good to hear you got a good catch, the kings have been pretty consistent from there this summer.

Cheers for taking a bucket of rubbish too, what that place really needs is a tipper truck to reverse all the way to the end to fill up. Lol