Fuel Storage

Jayd

• 1 year later...

Something else to think of. I was told that the higher rated fuels will break down quicker. This was from a dealer who attended a seminar where they were informed that if the boat was used regularly the 95 and 98 rated fuels will have a performance benefit but if the boat was going to be left for several months it should be avoided. Maybe someone out there can verify this. I must admit I use 95 this time of the year when the boat is being used regularly and think it does run better. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who can back this up with some data.

Cheers Fitzy

• 2 months later...

My trophy holds 330 liters of 98 grade fuel, on most days i uses 40-55 ltr , generally keep it topped up after fishing , i havnt noticed any fuel issues in 6 years , but generally use the boat at least once a month . i dont use any additives!!

snr

• 6 months later...

When i bought my last boat the seller hadnt used it for 12 mths.

The boat only had 87 hrs on it from new and hardly a scratch on her.

so was a really good buy in my eyes.

The day i went over to see it running was an eye opener so say the least.

The owner put the muffs on and proceeded to start the near new 115 merc.

It was trying to start and kicking and pooping and blowing heaps of smoke.

Just couldnt get it going.

I was starting to worry the fire brigade might be called from neighbours as the smoke was unbelievable.

He tried n tried for near on an hour.

the fuel was old and i suspect had lost its punch so to speak.

He did eventually get it running but in doing that smoked his own house out.

It a wonder his wife didnt come out screeming at him.

It ran for 10 mins bellowing out 2 stroke oil smoke like a steam train.

And eventually calmed down to near no smoke at all.

At least it was being really oiled on startup. Lol.

Anyway after the smoke ordeal sorted its self out i was watching how the motor ran.

It was running but didnt seem to have good responce.

Being a motor mechanic and a pretty clued up boat owner for the past 40 years id put it down to stale fuel, probebly old plugs and blocked fuel filter.

Anyway to cut a long story short i bought the boat.

$16.500 i was happy with the price and knew id have it sorted out within a few days witch i did. :)

Changed the plugs, drained the old fuel n replaced with new 98 from a reputa b le servo, and changed the fuel filter.

Started her up and she ran like a dream after a few mins.

Lightning responce, no excess smoke,

Very happy with it.

Moral to my story is =

I never use old fuel.

Drain it out n put on bull ants nests.

Ive seen stale fuel in all aplications cause greif.

From mowers, whippersnippers, cars, boats.

You name it.

And iver the years ive seen people change plugs, coils, wiring,

And all it was= was old stale fuel.

As they say=

You cant start a fire with wet matches.

So any fuel over 4 months old i replace.

I dont even buy new fuel to mix with the old to save money.

In the long run its not worth the waste of time etc.

Recently i took my big boat out for a fish.

The fuel was 12 mths old.near a Full tank 160ltrs

Out with the old and in with the new.

She didnt miss a beat n went well.

Happy fishing.

:)

• Like 2

P.s.

Im not saying that fuel over 4 monts is no good.

Its just not used in my machines.

If the fuel is stored in an air tight fuel tank (not open to the atmosphere by way of fuel breather pipe)

It might well be ok.

But as i said again not an option in my world.

Cheers

I think that article is partially correct.

Just like in all my cars, I pour 98 fuel in everything. And I can promise you, I get more km's as opposed to pouring 91.

With this though, I also changed the plugs and cables. Iridium plugs give you a much cleaner and leaner burn compared to your average plug. Iridium plugs cost more, sure, but they last much longer, doesn't need to be changed until 5 years.

So with Iridium plugs and 98 fuel, I get a cleaner burn hence a healthier engine and I get more kms. 

2 hours ago, JonD said:

I thought this was interesting, backs up what I've been told about higher octane fuel being pointless in non race engines. The recommendation of fuel stabalisers after just one month too. http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/boats/boat-maintenance/all-about-outboard-gasoline

jon

So im wasting my money and might damage my 115hp mercury carby motor Using 98?

I havnt heard it knocking.

Seems to run great on 98

Should i be using 95?

Or 91?

1 hour ago, The Incredible Hull said:

I think that article is partially correct.

Just like in all my cars, I pour 98 fuel in everything. And I can promise you, I get more km's as opposed to pouring 91.

With this though, I also changed the plugs and cables. Iridium plugs give you a much cleaner and leaner burn compared to your average plug. Iridium plugs cost more, sure, but they last much longer, doesn't need to be changed until 5 years.

So with Iridium plugs and 98 fuel, I get a cleaner burn hence a healthier engine and I get more kms. 

Is that on outboard motor or cars?

98 and iridium plugs.

5 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

So im wasting my money and might damage my 115hp mercury carby motor Using 98?

I havnt heard it knocking.

Seems to run great on 98

Should i be using 95?

Or 91?

I've spoken with several outboard mechanics that own dealerships, each has told me to run my previous Suzuki 90 and my current yam f 70 on 91 which is what I've been doing.

Jon

Funny how everyone gets different advice from their mechanics/marine mechanics.

Both of my mechanics have advised me to use 98 and never to use 91 (E10) as it's rubbish fuel and will kill your car/outboard.

I had issues with my 2000 model Johnson 115Hp as it was running like a dog. My mechanic told me this is due to the fuel as I was putting in either 91 or 95. He told me to fill it up with 98 and watch the difference. I did, and I haven't changed since.

I have always run 98 in my cars and I agree with Incredible Hull that it runs more smoother as well as giving me an extra 50-60km per tank (50ltr tank)on my car. Also, I have all 4 stroke Honda brand lawn mower, whipper snipper and blower that I use only 98. These start first time, every time and I rather spend the few extra cents to keep it this way.. 

It is frustrating that we all get such different advice, one of the guys who was telling me to run 91 was the outboard training lecturer from Woolongong Uni and seemed to be the go to man when other mechanics had problems.

One thing they all seem to agree on is not to use e10. 

I had a Honda 90 which suffered running problems which I was told was down to old fuel. My Honda motor bike also had running probs after not using it for long periods which I was also told was down to old fuel.

My Yamaha f70 gets used weekly clocking well over 200 hrs per year, even though the fuel tank only gets topped up arpund every 4 trips I still add castrol fuel doctor to it in case.

Jon

I run 98 in my 75HP. I run 98 in everything I own - even the lawnmower gets 98.

I do this because if the fuel is sitting for a month then the rate of decay for 98 will put it somewhere around 91 anyway, if I started with 91 I'll end up somewhere lower.

Guest Guest123456789

Ok I'm really confused now. Been running 98 in everything. Recently learnt through this forum that unless you have a high compression engine you're wasting your money on 98 and 95.

Since switched wife and all our engines back to 91.

Should we go back to 98??? Arrgh!!!!!

I think i will stick to 98

After reading the following.

Who knows? Maybe the mechanics want work caused by running low quality fuel. :) or try save the customer a few cents per litre.

Whats $10 buy today anyway?A pie n a coke. Lol

My machines all run better on 98 so that will do me.

32 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Ok I'm really confused now. Been running 98 in everything. Recently learnt through this forum that unless you have a high compression engine you're wasting your money on 98 and 95.

Since switched wife and all our engines back to 91.

Should we go back to 98??? Arrgh!!!!!

Hi flatheadluke,

Mate, try the 91 and if you are happy after an extensive time, then it might be OK for what you are using it for.

I have always used 98 in my cars as I did have an XR6 Turbo ("performance car") and if you ran anything less, the engine would shake like crazy. 

I have since changed this car and bought a new 4WD which is a Turbo Diesel.

I have a Honda Civic Type R as well (love mt Honda's :D) . This thing red lines at 8000 Rpm, and by running 98, it is so much smoother at the high end of the revs.

Since I have been using 98 for the cars I mentioned, I now put 98 in everything I own (not the Turbo Diesel of course :D) and it's never given me any headaches (knock on wood). I like to use it as a preventative measure to keep my engines clean as it is cleaner fuel than 91 and that's why it's usually 20c per litre more expensive. Some people look at the dollar value and think that fuel is fuel and it "goes" just like any other car/outboard.. 

Edited by Sigma

21 minutes ago, stevefish said:

not boat related but (I've heard a few times) don't run 98 in aircooled whippers and mowers, they run hotter and are worse for it

Did some searching on google about this and this link backs up your claim but unless it's a Honda....lol :P:D (checkout the first response to the topic) :D

http://lawnclub.com.au/topic/750-what-fuel-to-use/