Fuel Storage

Jayd

I've run 98 in my Victa lawn mower and I've had it since 2003 and its still running strong.

I run 98 in absolutely everything. I'm seeing too many of "this guy said this, that guy said that", just try it yourself and see the difference!

@Sigma If you change your plugs to Iridium (the ones that have a pointy tip instead of a flat tip), combined with 98 you'll get about 100kms extra. I run this setup in all cars, mowers, outboards etc. I don't know why everyone isn't doing it. It's advancement in technology, just like how all car manufacturers get their technology from F1 cars. It makes much more sense to run a turbo in all cars for efficiency purposes, i.e. a 2 litre turbo compared to a dinosaur V6 which gives a similar power output for half the fuel consumption.

11 hours ago, The Incredible Hull said:

I've run 98 in my Victa lawn mower and I've had it since 2003 and its still running strong.

I run 98 in absolutely everything. I'm seeing too many of "this guy said this, that guy said that", just try it yourself and see the difference!

@Sigma If you change your plugs to Iridium (the ones that have a pointy tip instead of a flat tip), combined with 98 you'll get about 100kms extra. I run this setup in all cars, mowers, outboards etc. I don't know why everyone isn't doing it. It's advancement in technology, just like how all car manufacturers get their technology from F1 cars. It makes much more sense to run a turbo in all cars for efficiency purposes, i.e. a 2 litre turbo compared to a dinosaur V6 which gives a similar power output for half the fuel consumption.

@Incredible Hull,

If you're referring to iridium plugs to what I call "platinum plugs", then yes, I already have them. They get changed every 100,000km. I do push my Honda's rev limiter at times :D. The computer is showing between 7.8ltrs - 8.2ltrs per 100km. Don't forget, it's a smaller tank (45ltr+ 5ltr). I get between 540-580km per tank. I find that very,very good for a performance car.

1 hour ago, Sigma said:

@Incredible Hull,

If you're referring to iridium plugs to what I call "platinum plugs", then yes, I already have them. They get changed every 100,000km. I do push my Honda's rev limiter at times :D. The computer is showing between 7.8ltrs - 8.2ltrs per 100km. Don't forget, it's a smaller tank (45ltr+ 5ltr). I get between 540-580km per tank. I find that very,very good for a performance car.

Yes Platinum is the same one! NGK brands mine as Iridium, maybe the name has changed or its a different manufacturer.

On 08/04/2016 at 0:37 PM, raysenior said:

My trophy holds 330 liters of 98 grade fuel, on most days i uses 40-55 ltr , generally keep it topped up after fishing , i havnt noticed any fuel issues in 6 years , but generally use the boat at least once a month . i dont use any additives!!

snr

My tinny holds 45 litres of usually premium unleaded, I generally use 10-20 litres, I keep it topped up after fishing, I haven't had any fuel issues in 13 years, sometimes use the boat fortnightly, sometimes doesn't get touched for 2 or so months. Never used any fuel additives.

• 1 year later...
On 04/01/2016 at 4:54 PM, Paulf4456 said:

Something else to think of. I was told that the higher rated fuels will break down quicker. This was from a dealer who attended a seminar where they were informed that if the boat was used regularly the 95 and 98 rated fuels will have a performance benefit but if the boat was going to be left for several months it should be avoided. Maybe someone out there can verify this. I must admit I use 95 this time of the year when the boat is being used regularly and think it does run better. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who can back this up with some data.

Cheers Fitzy

I was under the impression that higher rated fuels break down slower!?!  I havnt noticed any difference between 91, 95 and 98 in my outboard so I will probably just go back to 91 (no ethanol) for now.  Interesting read though.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Hey crew, old thread I know, but a question for you all...

How do you know if using 91 RON fuel there is no ethanol in it?

How do you know there are no additives/impurities in any fuel you buy? You would have to take the supplier’s and retailer’s word for it. E10 (with 10% ethanol) is 94 RON. 91, 95 and 98 are supposed to be ethanol free.

7 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Hey crew, old thread I know, but a question for you all...

How do you know if using 91 RON fuel there is no ethanol in it?

Ethanol can be very harmful to specific types of engines. Manufacturers know that and would not risk mixing ethanol into fuels which are not advertising as having ethanol. 

So as bazz has said, short from taking a sample and having it tested yourself, you'll just have to take their word for it at the bowser 

Edited by GoingFishing

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...