Dark oil leak out of the propeller

VViCKiD

Hi guys,

I was putting on my outboard cover this morning and noticed this black grease like residue out of the propeller.

I took the propeller off and noticed there was grease inside. It's been raining in my area recently.

Should I be concerned about this ?

VG3A5YW.jpg

I would say any external Oil leak is of concern . Is it the seal for the gear box oil. Probably best to drop by a marine Mecanic to have a quick sqiz . Maybe check the gear box oil level . Fill it up with Oil to the rim and check the level after your next outing . So it give you some sort indication . And go from there. Cheers. Oziodin

Also, is it only gear oil that could leak like that in that area ?

Btw, the outboard is Yamaha 2002 115 HP 2 stroke outboard (pre-mix).

Could possibly also be just 2 stroke oil residue out of the exhaust and nothing to worry about at all. It looks like it to me in the picture but I could be wrong without seeing it in person.

Could possibly also be just 2 stroke oil residue out of the exhaust and nothing to worry about at all. It looks like it to me in the picture but I could be wrong without seeing it in person.

Yeh I wasn't sure if it could be that . I did spray the hose into the exhaust when flushing my motor. I was thinking that a bad seal would leak white milky gear oil?

Thx for the replies guys. Much appreciated !

Yeh I wasn't sure if it could be that . I did spray the hose into the exhaust when flushing my motor. I was thinking that a bad seal would leak white milky gear oil?

Get the prop off and a torch in there and see if you can trace back the leak to the source.

check the gear oil level while your at it.

Check the oil leval in the gearbox. Is it black? If so change the oil.

If it's the normal light brown colour then the oil comming from the prop is not from the gear box.

Is it low or full. If low , change the seal, if full then it's just oil residue comming from the motor nothing to worry about.

Geoff

Could possibly also be just 2 stroke oil residue out of the exhaust and nothing to worry about at all. It looks like it to me in the picture but I could be wrong without seeing it in person.

This what I was thinking, only because my outboard does the same thing, more so when I don't run it dry

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Guest Aussie007

best way to measure the oil is to buy a measuring jug it has the ratios on the side, theirs nothing wrong with your engine just running a little rich as some others have said

replace your drain and fill bolts washers with new nylon washers too dont reuse the old ones

Edited by gazza

Hey mate, Have had the same issue with my old tinnie.

I first thought it was a gearbox seal gone, but the oil was black and not the colour of gearbox oil.

Turned out it was just 2 stroke oil residue from the exhaust.

If the oil doesn't have a real pungent smell like gear oil then perhaps you have the same issue I had.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Choicebro

Guest Aussie007

huey can probably order them in if not already in stock or any yamaha dealer

another thing, remember to fill the gearbox oil from the bottom drain hole not the top

Edited by gazza