New artificial reefs , shoalhaven, port macquarie.

Hi All. With the new artificial reefs being built in the shoalhaven and port macquarie areas , and seeing as these new reefs are fully funded by recreational liscence fees and are in close proximity to shore (to aid recreational anglers), what are raiders thoughts on these reefs being totally locked out for commercial fisherman ? personally i believe they shouldnt be allowed to fish in these areas , but what do you think??

cheers snr

• 3 weeks later...

Commercial fishos have entire oceans to plunder... along with plenty of estuary systems. Recreational fishers are paying for the artificial reefs to be made and they should be reserved for the recreational fisher folk. Aside from that these reefs take quite a while to develop after they are put in place and if they are being pillaged before they are developed I daresay that the process will take even longer and the fish wont have the chance to establish themselves. If commercial fishos want to pay for and establish man made reefs strictly for themselves I say fair call and best of luck to them but I don't think that they will either 1) want to spend their own cash or 2) want to wait the time it takes to establish them for fish populations. It would be good to see them give the oceans something back after taking so much from it but it doesn't help their bottom line immediately so it will probably never happen.

Edited by Trout Stalker

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Commercial fishos have entire oceans to plunder... along with plenty of estuary systems. Recreational fishers are paying for the artificial reefs to be made and they should be reserved for the recreational fisher folk. Aside from that these reefs take quite a while to develop after they are put in place and if they are being pillaged before they are developed I daresay that the process will take even longer and the fish wont have the chance to establish themselves. If commercial fishos want to pay for and establish man made reefs strictly for themselves I say fair call and best of luck to them but I don't think that they will either 1) want to spend their own cash or 2) want to wait the time it takes to establish them for fish populations. It would be good to see them give the oceans something back after taking so much from it but it doesn't help their bottom line immediately so it will probably never happen.

Well said Luc.