Motor hours

General Zod

Some have an hour meter, some don't.

Depends on the motor and servicing,boat engines don, t like to sit for long periods with little to no maintenance, worst thing for them.

If it's been well looked after and maintained accordingly, in short 400 hrs isn't too many hours for an engine.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Edited by Fab1

400 hours isnt much at all especially for a four stroke. As long as they have a good service record. On some engines you can check what rev range it was in to make up the 400 hours. Some engines can have 500 hours but 400 of them spent trolling at 800rpm.

If you know the exact year of the motor then divide the age by hours you get to see how much it has bee used. yes service intervals types of use also weighs in as well. My boat has about 3000 hours on each motor and is 34 years old with the math it has done about 50 hours per year, which means it is dose about 1 hour per week not hard use in my books but then not left on the mooring for years either.

hope this helps

David

Hi, just want to ask if 400hrs on a boat is to much. 2 stroke late 90s. Do boats even have something to tell u how many hrs it's done.

Thanks

For that age engine it is not much at all. If your thinking of buying this and you are told by the seller or the hour meter says these hours, I would ignore that and inspect the engine yourself for clues to the real usage amount and its condition.

Hour meters can very simply be disconnected.

Cylinder compression, gear box condition, any leaks, corrosion, condition of the leg and prop, original paint condition. If all these things are good, who cares how many hours it has done.

if it looks good get a pro to inspect and make a decision then. hour meters can be misleading and people lie to sell things. Should only be used as a guide.

My yammy has no service history because I do almost all maintenance myself. The motor is ultra reliable and well maintained with about 400 hours on it.

400 hours is barely broken in for a good old fashioned two stroke, age would worry me more to be honest. Check the usual stuff, compression, plugs, visible corrosion, start it and run it. A big one is the cooling system, nice strong pee stream and run it flat out on the test run for a while to see if it overheats. Service receipts etc really help too, maintenance is the key!

Guest Aussie007

i wouldnt have a problem buying a engine with 400 or 4000 hours in it, a engine with high hours means its been ran most likely weekly or daily so it'll be in great condition althought it might not look pretty on the outside she'd be in good nick internally

a engine with high hours would get regular services done and any rebuilds on time, keep in mind not every engine gets rebuilt because its thrown a rod or spun a bearing and let loose, outboards require engine rebuilds after so many operating hours i dont know how many hours that is and could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer

• 7 months later...

Gooday, mine is a 225 4 stroke yamaha, 2002 model, it has 4,600 hours it was a dive boat in it's previous life, motor runs very sweet, only drama i have is a small leaking ram seal and a leaking main bearing seal, again very small, always flush your motor with the cowling removed and look to see that there is nothing odd or "unusual noise", check your gearbox and ram fluid regularly, you don't have to worry about engine oil levels, cheers joe

This is a good question and I think its been answered well yet again by the fish raider community.

But I've often wondered about the life of a properly service outboard.

The only experience I've ever had with servicing based on hours is forklifts.

Generally forklifts are serviced at 100 hours much like a boat motor service. This would equate to something like

5,000klms in a car.

Using that formula and some car experience you should expect perhaps 200,000 ks from a quality engine manufacturer

which equates to somewhere around 4,000 hours in a boat engine. Obviously well serviced, not flogged.

How does this fit in with fishraider members experience and how would this vary in 2 and 4 strokes?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Hi, on the subject of engine hours the simple facts are, for any recreational users, they will not do enough hours in the life of owing the engine to wear any brand or technology out. Buying a high hour outboard can come with risks due to how it has been looked after and the price should reflect that. A better indication is years of surviving in salt water and just today a 1984 V4 Johno has come in for service and it looks great and over that 30 years of use who knows how many hours it has done but it is still running after all these years in salt water so some brands have that proven track history.

Hi - just one thing to consider. If the engine is computer controlled then you should be able to take it to a brand specific service agent and they will be able to connect a diagnostic tool to the motor and tell you exactly how many hours the motor has done and even tell you the service history and any engine faults that have occurred and probably much more . If the seller is genuine they should not have a problem with you doing this