South west rocks - finally something to write about!

DanRob

G'day raiders,

My usual reports are generally based around how I haven't caught much or just missed that big one, but this time I am happy to report some success!

I went up to Kempsey for work and with the advice of other members on the forum I decided I would try fishing after work at South West Rocks.

On the first night I got there late and everything was closed. It was dark and I missed the tides. All I could find was bread from the IGA and although trying for livies, I couldn't get any. I moved around towards the boat ramp and picked up two 25cm bream on bread which went straight back. I called it a night after this as it was getting late and I did have to be awake for work as that's why I was there in the first place.

The next day at work was long but I managed to pick up some squid and pillies from the local fishing shop. I got down to the break wall and tried again. I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong but I had no takes. I kept on getting small things nibbling the bait off but that was it. With the sand flies, mozzies, strong tides pulling through the channel and a long night persisting with every method I could think, I gave up with not a fish. I saved my bait and decided I will try the next morning before I drive back to sydney,

The next morning I slept in... ( note to self, always check the 500 is am not pm on the alarm) I was up at 630 and missed the tide and was going to be pushing it to get back. I chucked all my gear in the car and headed almost to the end of the break wall. I tried the bait at first but no luck. I told myself I will put on a few lures and throw them around for half an hour before i needed to leave. I used my white rapala x rap, metal slices and a few halco poppers on the 20/30lb gear ( i can't remember the line strength I put on) and on my bream stick threw around some zman grubs without a hit.

I got a mackerel on the rapala which was fun but not much sport and I thought at least I got something!

post-3058-0-18159400-1394099724_thumb.jpgpost-3058-0-82583400-1394099731_thumb.jpg

Just as I was packing a few things away I start seeing fish hitting bait on the surface. I threw the white rapala out and ZZZzzzzzzzz......... it was unstoppable. I had a 10000 shimano saragosa with 20/30lb braid and 80lb leader on a 8-15kg 10ft rod. It was my heaviest gear but I had no chance at first and it took me 100m+ down the break wall and the line was getting to the end. After a bit of persistence, I regained some line finding if I ran with it keeping the line tight I could turn its head a bit. This went on for about 30min and I had a nice local couple who saw it all going on and came down to help out. They even took some pics with my camera!

post-3058-0-10823300-1394099715_thumb.jpg

Eventually the fish tired and the local guy climbed down to the water and we grabbed the fish by the tail. I am so used to losing fish this was a novelty. I was told the fish was a long fin tuna ( let me know what you think?) and it was 95cm long. Unfortunately it was just about dead by the time I got it to shore so I decided to keep it. I lugged my trophy back to the car with a grin from ear to ear and went straight to the shop and bought a new esky and ice for the trip home!

post-3058-0-85186600-1394099706_thumb.jpgpost-3058-0-97742000-1394099754_thumb.jpgpost-3058-0-07884600-1394099745_thumb.jpeg

After all that I now have slightly longer arms and a grin that I just can't wipe off my face.... even my wife was impressed! I don't think I will be topping that anytime soon. Thanks to all the raiders who gave me the info I needed to head over to that beautiful part of the world.

I would like to submit this fish for catch of the month. ( I had to retake it with a bottle as I got one picture with a cloth and realised it was last months COTM item)

post-3058-0-14244800-1394099694_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by DanRob

Woot woooot! That is a cracker Dan. I'm glad things finally came together for you. That smile won't disappear in quite a while I am sure. I bet all of that time missing the good fish is totally worth it now you got that beauty under your belt. I am also sure that it will keep you inteerested for many moons to come hehe.

Congrats mate. To get a fish like that land based id every anglers dream. Very happy for you.

Luc.

Thanks everyone, it is good to share these moments with those who actually appreciate it! (unlike all the glazed looks i get showing people the pics on my phone!)

Well done!! Those little lures are magic, I use a similar one and never let's me down, yet to get a fish that size with it

thanks, this was the first time ( actually that watsons bonito was) I got something with this type of lure, though I have heard it is meant to be good.

Hi Dan

That is a Watsons leaping Bonito NOT mac tuna.

Beautiful looking fish and actually great eating

but they always look so good I release them.

Enjoy the Bluefin they are great eating.

Nice catch of the stones.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I have never seen one of these before and you are right, they look awesome.

Well done. Cracker of a fish from a breakwall. I believe it is a long tail tuna.

Let us know how it was on the table.

thanks Flickn Mad, as for the table, I got it back and was told about the ciguatera toxins that were in fish in the area and with kid i didn't want to chance it. so I was a bit disappointed to say the least. I even called fisheries to find out more and even asked them if they wanted it for research. I was told to bin it. Instead, I have decided to salt it for bait.

Woot woooot! That is a cracker Dan. I'm glad things finally came together for you. That smile won't disappear in quite a while I am sure. I bet all of that time missing the good fish is totally worth it now you got that beauty under your belt. I am also sure that it will keep you inteerested for many moons to come hehe.
Congrats mate. To get a fish like that land based id every anglers dream. Very happy for you.

Luc.

Thanks Luc! If I could get good catches regularly it would be nowhere near as fun! i'm still smiling!

Was it less than 10kg in weight? If so it may be fine. To be honest I would have given some to someone I didn't like very much and asked them a couple of days later how it was hehehe. If they were fine and not in hospital well you have some seriously good fillets ready to munch hehehe.

I haven't heard of longtails being know for ciguatera. If you are tempted to

eat it (they are very good) try a small portion first, say 100g.

The NSW authorities are warning about large spanish makeral at the moment.

Who every told u longtails carry cig poisoning has gotta be having a joke... Never herd of it in longtails.

True, though it really got me thinking about it when I was told and shown the recent news article. I have no knowledge of these things so I just had to go with what I could find out.

it is however bioaccumulative in warm water fin species. This would mean it is not a species specific toxin so given that it was found in mackerel at Scott's head the week before made me worry, especially if I was to feed it to my young kids.

I made a lot of calls and did a fair bit of reading to try figure it out if it is safe to eat and there was no definitive evidence showing that they were immune from it. What I did find out was how nasty the poisoning is if you get it.

The reality is that there was probably 95% chance it was fine. I was just not willing to risk the 5% chance of being wrong.

It is now in the freezer to be used as bait. A shame I know but it is what it is. Maybe it can be used to catch a dioxin laden fish from Sydney harbour :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk