Newbie from Scotland

adamski

Hey folks!

My name's Adam, I'm from Scotland and I arrived in Aus about 6 months ago. I bought a cheap light spinning outfit (2 piece 2-5 kg rod, 2500 spinning reel and 6lb line) as a Christmas present to myself and I've been out fishing whenever I can ever since. Unfortunately, I don't have a car out here so I'm a bit limited in places I can get to- I usually walk down to Iron Cove around the canal and use a float with either fish or flour paste as bait (there are a lot of large mullet on the canal at the mo, but I can't seem to get them to take anything- any advice?) Recently I've also been out at the bridge near Roseville and had a great day chasing small bream with bait and soft plastics.

Anyways, if anyone fancies showing me the ropes or suggesting good spots for estuary fishing around the Sydney area that suit my setup I'd be really really grateful. I'll be out at the Roseville Bridge again tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I've attached a photo of a small fish I caught a week or two ago at Iron Cove, I think I got a few more of the same species last week at the Roseville Bridge but I don't know what it is (don't think we get them in the UK). Anyone help me identify it? Cheers!

post-33473-0-72396400-1394186051_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site. Your sure to catch up with lots of local guys ( unfortunately I'm a little out of your area) . I'd reiterate swordfishermans advice you have to get a book on species and sizes. This isn't like the UK! There are size limits on most species here ( was a big learning curve for me when I arrived 4years ago from the Welsh borders) I'd also encourage you not to use a dry towel on the fish. This can damage the fish. Wet hands and a wet or non absorbant mat is much better for a fish that is being returned. Something like a "brag mat" is sutible and includes a tape measure.

Rgds

Steve

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Steve, Thanks very much for your reply, I've been checking out the DPI website but it would be good to have a printed copy of all the limits, so I'll make sure I buy a proper book. Also, I didn't realise about the towel being bad for fish so thanks too for the heads up on that, I'll be sure to buy a mat.

Try bcf "boating camping fishing" they do a4 vinyl guides you can roll up. Most fishing shops also do pocket waterproof species guides.

Good luck with the fishing and looking forward to your reports mate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Keep persisting Adam and welcome to fishraider. To be honest I would probably drop the dough mix unless a little tuna oil is added and grab yourself some salted bluebait or hawksbury prawns and go for the bream around rocky outcrops without a sinker. Other than that I recommend playing with a few plastics around sand flats for some flathead and whiting. There is always the fresh water option too of trout over the mountain. Had plenty of fun times over there. ;)

Luc.

Thanks for the advice, I've been mixing the dough with sardine oil and occasionally mussel juice/leftover fish flesh. I've had some modest results- small whiting, bream and tailor, as well as pain-in-the-backside puffer fish, but nothing to write home about. It'd be nice to get a decent-sized mullet, particularly as there are so many of them! Guess I'll try the blue bait you mentioned. I've got plastics and some small lures here too, but I'll need to read up on how to get the best use out of them

There is so much info on here mate which could really help you along. Plastics I have found make for much more exciting fishing and often outfish bait to be honest but that is highly debatable.

Flathead fishing on plastics is a pretty simple affair. Find a fishy looking spot, cast out, let the plastic hit the bottom, lift the rod, reel in the slack line, wait for it to hit the bottom again and repeat the process. you can lift fast, slow, it all depends on how they feel that day but it works.

Bream are a bit different. Always use a light jig head or a resin head with smaller plastics (around 2 inches), cast to the structure and let it drift down. When it hits the bottom (or with a resin head after a few twitches) give it a very slight lift of just a few inches. Reel up the slack and pause it for 5-10 seconds. When you feel it has had a good rest give it a few short sharp twitches and pause it again for several seconds. The secret with bream fishing is to go slow. If you think you are going slow enough slow down even more. They are very finicky fish and the slower the better.

Whiting are different again. I have found that a constant hop retrieve like a flatty retieve works but faster and don't pause at all (using smallish plastics and and heavier heads than bream setup). Just a constant twitch, wind up slack, twitch, wind, twitch wind etc. Best done in shallow sand flats.

Hope this helps to get you started on the plastics as they are alot of fun and well worth the effort.

Good luck and I hope you see plenty of bends in your rod.

Luc.

Edited by Trout Stalker

I know I keep saying it, but thank you very very much for the advice, it's really appreciated. I'll need to write it down and memorise it for tomorrow- I'll take a few plastics with me up to the area around Roseville Bridge.

Welcome Adamski. You can learn everything you need to know on this site, mate. Make sure you have a license and observe size /bag limits wherever you wet a line. Great Aussie pastime is fishing and there's some of the best on this site. Keep us all posted on your efforts. Cheers, Neil.

Id be willing to show you how to use lures etc in iron cove for flathead and bream.

its a bit nasty on loses but can use mine on a replace if lost basis

you do need braid again have a spare rod to see if its what you would like to do.

need a evening with a rising tide about 8pm

Hi Juggs,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'd love to have a proper shot at Iron Cove and I'd welcome any advice. I'm happy to go on a replace if lost basis if you think you've got the gear to cover it. I've got a few lures and SPs. Probably need to wait another week or two for the tides. Give me a shout if you're still up for it. Thanks very much again.