One nice one on a popper

Robinsoi

Hey Raiders,

Went out on the weekend to my local waterway to try and pop up some bream or whiting. Wasn't expecting much as the the tide wasn't that great, the wind was quite strong plus full sun conditions as well but I thought I would go anyway and enjoy the sunshine at least before the family needed me back home.

With the considerable chop on the water I thought I would tie on a larger popper than usual that also walks nicely to make more splash and noise rather than a standard walker. I'm glad I did though as about 15 mins into the session I got a nice hit followed by a few sizzling runs taking line and landed a nice one which gave a solid account of itself. A quick measure and what do you know...... a new PB :yahoo:

13049088034_19b69b78d4_c.jpg

13048929423_2a5b0b4a23_c.jpg

I could only manage a few small whiting after that on the same lure and they really smashed it too coming out of nowhere and charging it down. Some of them were not much bigger than the lure itself! Might have to use this lure more often in the future :)

All fish safely released to fight another day.

Many thanks in advance Raiders for any comments posted.

Have a great week everyone.

All the Best & Happy Fishing

Ian

Thanks guys for the nice comments :)

Luc: The lure is a Megabass PopX 64mm in the Modena bone colour. A bit pricey but I got it on special. It has a great rattle system inside and a crazy popping/walking action to create a lot of commotion to hopefully draw the fish in. It casts like a bullet too. I down sized the trebles a little too as the standard ones were too big for my liking for bream.

For surface I usually target shallow water/flats a couple of hours either side of a high tide. A good cast away from you will see you spooking less fish. Then begin your retrieve with a series of pops/bloops and pauses and mix it up too to see what they want on the day. Sometimes 5 or 6 quick pops then a pause, then 2 or 3 pops then a longer pause etc. Shaking the rod at the same time as winding will also create a sensational zig zag popping/walking action. Walking the shoreline and covering ground is also important.

If you see a bream following your popper but won't commit just give the popper 1 or 2 very very slight pops and pause it and see what happens. If it is still there add a few more subtle pops and pause. I've hooked them while the popper was paused as well as while it was moving briskly so it just depends what they want on the day.

I'm certainly no gun fisho but this has produced some fish for me. What helped me a lot also was reading through 'Hodgey's How to Guide' which is pinned in the Saltwater Lure & Fly Chat Section and Roberta also made a significant contribution to this article too. This is a must read for anyone wanting to get into surface breaming.

I hope this helps mate and give it a shot as it is an extremely exciting and visual way to fish.

Good luck

Ian

Luc / Witha: Thanks guys and it's my pleasure :) That's what this is all about sharing experiences on the Forum and learning something that you would probably otherwise not try yourself.

Have a top weekend and hope you have a chance to get out there land some big ones.

All the best

Ian