What is the best way to clean your jigs

zaki10

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone can give me any ideas on how to clean my squid jigs, reason being is because they smell like crap from the EgiMax spray I use all the time. What is the best way to clean them as well as my tackle box and how often should I clean and service my reels?

Thank You

Zaki

They smell like crap to you, but probably smell real sweet to the squid so why clean em? Just brush them off in fresh water. Same for your tackle box. I am pretty sure fish won't like the smell of soap. I service my reels myself about every 6 months, maybe a little longer.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone can give me any ideas on how to clean my squid jigs, reason being is because they smell like crap from the EgiMax spray I use all the time. What is the best way to clean them as well as my tackle box and how often should I clean and service my reels?

Thank You

Zaki

Well my tip is to not waste anymore cash on Egimax and you will have no more cleaning problems and catch the same if not more squid.

You should clean the outside of your reels when they get dirty hahaha. After every trip is good and I service mine when I notice them getting a bit noisy or not so smooth. Otherwise, I leave them as they are and don't mess them.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/13/2014 at 12:51 AM, Hateanchors said:

Well my tip is to not waste anymore cash on Egimax and you will have no more cleaning problems and catch the same if not more squid.

You should clean the outside of your reels when they get dirty hahaha. After every trip is good and I service mine when I notice them getting a bit noisy or not so smooth. Otherwise, I leave them as they are and don't mess them.

I agree the Scents aren’t necessary and for the reels tighten the drags up light hose off and the occasional drop of oil on the maving bits particularity the line roller bearing. 

I also drop any gear I’m keeping hooks, sinkers, lures, jigs in a bucket of water.   Only for the length of time it takes to clean the boat.   I take them out put them on my bench and when I’m next in the shed they go back in the tackle box. The hooks and swivels in a different section to the unused stuff.  

I never put anything back in my tackle box without being washed.

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Welster said:

I agree the Scents aren’t necessary and for the reels tighten the drags up light hose off and the occasional drop of oil on the maving bits particularity the line roller bearing. 

I also drop any gear I’m keeping hooks, sinkers, lures, jigs in a bucket of water.   Only for the length of time it takes to clean the boat.   I take them out put them on my bench and when I’m next in the shed they go back in the tackle box. The hooks and swivels in a different section to the unused stuff.  

I never put anything back in my tackle box without being washed.

+1 for everything @Welster said !   We must have learnt of the same page.   Cheers Zoran

• Like 1