Kingfish in Botany Bay

brad_tate

Hi all,

I'm a long time follower but a first time poster, and would love some expert advice. I'm keen to chase the Kingys in Botany Bay and am planning to head out Sunday morning to give it a shot with the family. The plan is to try and pick up some livies (targetting Yakkas), and possibly squid early and then put them down at Mollineaux Pt. I have a few specific questions I'd love some feedback on.

1. Does anyone have any suggested spots to target Yakkas on Sabiki jigs?

Yarra bay is my plan, starting on the north west along the breakwall?

2. Not sure how to rig the livies (assuming we get some!). Through the nose, through the back, through the top lip?

If the top lip, should the hook point up or down?

Even more basic, should I use a running sunker rig (mainline to swivel, sinker if used above swivel, then trace to hook) and select a sinker size if any depending on the depth I want the livie?

3. How deep in the water column should I target?

I do have a sounder, so I guess if I can spot a school it's obvious, but if not, I'd appreciate some guidance whether I should target top/mid/bottom etc.

Sorry for the dumb questions!

Thanks,

Brad

Yakkas can be found in yarra where the breakwall meets the beach, there is a nice weedy, rocky area call The Suck. You can also try around the corner from Molineaux where the tugs park. If your heading out on the weekend you will see a few boats there getting bait (also a good spot to catch kings). Bare island is another spot. Try the calm water near where the bridge is. The other 2 spots i like are on the other side of the bay. The Hot Water Outlet and Watts reef, though can be hit and miss.

I wouldnt waste your time with sabikis imo they are a pain in the ass. Just use the smallest long shank you can find with the smallest sinker you can find. The smaller the bait the better chance of a hook up.

For the rig i use quite a large circle hook with about a meter and a half of 80 pound leader tide onto a heavy duty swivel. Above the swivel used a large sinker (any shape) that will allow you to get the yakka down to the preferred depth without him being able to swim where he likes. Pin him just in front of the dorsal but not to far down otherwise you will kill him. Angle the hook so the point is more towards the yakkas head to avoid him hooking himself When using circles. I also use the same rig without a sinker to float one out in the berley trail. Just tie a balloon about 2-3 meters up your line to allow him to drift out.

Heres a vid of Botany Bay guru Scotty Lyons catching livies at the suck then showing you the rig for catching kings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arzgfzb8foA

Edited by filthmonger

Guest Aussie007

i agree the best spot for yakkas is where the two blue tug's moore tie up i wouldnt troll mol point because on a weekend everyone else will be doing the same thing, anchor up and send out a couple livies on a unweighted rig you'll know if the fish are about because the yakkas will try dart down deep right next to the boat let it take as much line as it wants

i went out a week or two ago and a mate caught a nice little jew at the tug boats using a freshly caught pike he chucked the whole 40cm pike on and the jewie smashed it and took off i done a report with a picture