How Bad is Marlin.

Divey

I was given some fresh Marlin steaks in the last couple of days and thought I would give it it's best shot, so I read up on how to cook it. It seemed as though the preferred method wasto fry it in a very hot pan with olive oil and salt and pepper and a little fresh lemon juice. And, only cook it for a couple of minutes on each side. I made a tomato, basil and lime juice salsa to go with it.

Fairdinkum, the taste and texture is just plain bloody horrible. It tasted like wet cardboard and is tough and dry as buggery.

No wonder they tag and release these critters as they're rubbish in the kitchen. :puke: With out doubt, the worst seafood I have ever ever eaten.

Edit to add... I still have two steaks left so if there is anyone out there with a tried and proven recipe, I'd like to hear about it.

Edited by Divey

I'll second that. I consider myself a fair cook and I did the same. Ended up eating spaghetti on toast!

Cheers scratchie!!!

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we are eating the same fish. :)

Marlin is best grilled on the BBQ, cooked like you'd cook a rare steak. Say 5 mins on one side then half that on the other side. Cook with the skin on to keep the meat moist but remove to serve (it's rubbery). Try different marinades and sauces - plenty of recipes online.

I don't mind eating marlin but admit I prefer yellowfin or albacore.

Baz

I am with you on that, I had it in oz and mexico, not a fan, both times not great, really dry and didn't have a good taste. Also they contain an extremely high amount of mercury which your body cannot absorb or break down.

I have never kept one and would only keep one if I was 100% certain it was going die upon release. They're too much fun to catch just once, so why wouldn't you let it go.

I prefer leatherjackets to marlin :)

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

I have finished the little black I got at SWR a few weeks ago and it was pretty good eating, not as good as pearlies or spottys but still quite good.

Like most big fish a lot of people don't look after them very well and that is normally the reason they taste like crap.

To draw a comparison you wouldn't buy a whole scotch fillet roll and throw it on the aluminium deck of a boat in 30+ deg heat for up to ten hours and expect it to be great to eat thereafter.

I have egg and salt and pepper breadcrumbed some at work and everyone loved it.

The best way I cooked it was Mediterranean style with basil and tomato, served to a few guests and well received again even by the kids.

I will admit I also would rather eat leatherjacket but if you do take a beakie make sure you treat it like a "real" fish.

Cheers

Marlin01

I ll second Marlin01, When i have cooked them, basically quickly seared then finished of with butter garlic sauce and lime its been pretty good, Still not whitting fillets though.

and i completly agree with the treatment of the fish, though its hard to get a marlin in most eskys, at very least they should be covered with wet towels and taken back to be cleaned asap.

I agree with divey and scratchie they taste pretty bad.

The marlin we are talking about was a little black about 65kgs and was filleted and on ice within ten minutes of being brought into the boat.

There are many and varied weird eating habits of humans throughout the world, and, I would classify a person who likes Marlin to have a weird sense of taste as far as fish is concerned. Each to the own I guess.

A little off topic, but, I was searching the web in regards to our noisy little Cicadas that invade our neighborhood during the Christmas season and was amazed to find that they are a popular source of food/protein in many countries of the world. Having said that, If I only had a choice between Marlin and Cicadas, I reckon I'd go with the former. :)

There are many and varied weird eating habits of humans throughout the world, and, I would classify a person who likes Marlin to have a weird sense of taste as far as fish is concerned. Each to the own I guess.

A little off topic, but, I was searching the web in regards to our noisy little Cicadas that invade our neighborhood during the Christmas season and was amazed to find that they are a popular source of food/protein in many countries of the world. Having said that, If I only had a choice between Marlin and Cicadas, I reckon I'd go with the former. :)

Some Asian countries love eating insects...

Get some deep fried praying mantis in to ya!

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...