Fishing the moon phases

John.N

Hello All.

Does the moon phase have any effect on fishing fresh water species, and if so when is the best time to fish the lunar month.

I understand that it has an effect on tides and oceans but catching fish I dont know ??

Apparently the solunar calendar does effect freshwater as it does salt. There's a couple of good apps that show the ideal day and time to fish your area, 'fishing calendar' is one i use. A 100% efficiency day doesn't always mean you'll catch fish but it usually means you'll do better than a very low efficiency day according to solunar.

Hi John, in my experience its more important to have a line in the water than relying on solunar tables and such. Lets face it the vast majority of anglers cant fish whenever we like mainly due to work and family commitments etc. Also fish have to eat regardless of extended low or high pressure systems, we dont stop eating because it is raining do we? I have caught fish in freshwater on days when the moon phases and solunar tables have predicted days of minimal fish activity and have blanked on days when everything was predicted to be favourable. I think fishing periods of low light such as early morning and late afternoon into the night has more bearing on success than when certain factors are all alligned. That being said a steady or rising barrometer can be a good indicator to successful fishing as can fishing prior to a storm front closing in. I think we should all fish whenever the opportunity arrises rather than waiting for so called good conditions to line up with available spare time.You wont catch anything if you dont have a line in the water. cheers troutboy

I've previously been advised that fishing during a full moon period is less productive as the fish have more light to feed during the night. Don't know if there is anything in it or not though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Troutboy is spot on a classic example is the mighty tongariro river in nz as a flood is dropping and many say it's too discoloured is actually whencthevmajority of trout are on the move andxafaptinvtactics to conditions gets fish! Take that analogy adapt your tactics to conditions and you should at least get a bite or take and possibly result in a fish. Also fishing a waterway regularly and knowing its vagaries will improve your success birthing like knowledge and adapting to the conditions to suit

From what I have read it goes on the moon above/below as major times.So if you split the difference from moon rise to moon set that should be moon above.ie 6 pm moon rise,add on 6hrs that gives you moon above 12pm and that should be the peak time.So in theory just look at the moon rise time for your area and add on 6hrs to get the peak time.But what do I know I cant catch fish in a fish tank....

I agree with trout boy also. Another factor is the amount of time you spend on the water! The more time, the more chance you are of catching a fish.

Barometer pressure I way more important IMO and experience, especially freshwater fishing!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Gday guys,

Speakig of Barometers, has anyone found a good accurate barometer phone app?

Do they exist? because i've tried a few against each other and they all seem to throw different readings at the safe time for the same place. :blink: