Boat Perspex Replacement

Rodb73

Hi there everyone,

I am about to start to replace the Perspex on my boat. Wind Screen, Side Screens & Cabin. My question to all is this;

The boat currently has Aluminium Extrusions holding all the Perspex into place. These are siliconed and riveted. It appears as though over it's 15 odd years and past owners, they have been urethaned in and I'm almost certain the aluminium will end up damaging upon removal.

I have no concerns with the front screens, they're different extrusions.

What are your thoughts on using after market rubber mouldings in place of the aluminium and does anyone have any personal experiences with using rubber moulds over the aluminium?

I do currently have some leaking issues through the existing, which I know could be fixed with silicone, but I need to replace the Perspex, it's more than seen it's day.

Thanks in advance and hope to meet some Raiders at the Hairtail Social. (With no leaks)

Edited by Rodb

Guest Aussie007

Rod its a easy job i replaced the windscreen on one of my previous boats and it was like looking thru glass when finished

use a razor to cut thru the sikaflex to remove the old perspex and use the old one as a template just remember to cut very slowly or you'll make small cracks, i reused my aluminium but the windscreen was only held in place with strips of rubber

post-3154-0-78146300-1396002060_thumb.jpg

post-3154-0-61129300-1396002074_thumb.jpg

post-3154-0-71952800-1396002090_thumb.jpg

post-3154-0-30348100-1396002102_thumb.jpg

Hi Gazza,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not overly concerned about the front screen as it's held in differently from the rest. My problem is the cabin and the way they're held in.

I have attached an image of the product I am considering using based on the info people have for me here.

Nice job by the way on yours. I have to say, I am looking forward to clear vision again.

Thanks again.

post-23083-0-17276700-1396004772_thumb.jpg

post-23083-0-85573100-1396004976_thumb.jpg

that rubber should be fine. but prob check with a windscreen fitter first.. you will still have to seal the rubber after you lock it together..

be aware that there are different sized rubbers for thicker and thiner glass/Perspex and fiberglass..

ie bigger and smaller openings and the main point is to check the spacing in between the glass and fiberglass panel..

• 1 year later...

hey flathead .. can i chime in on this .. i am not a windsreeen fitter by any strech but i did fit a couple windscreens into frontend loaders for rio tinto ... they havfe to be pressurised to keep asbestos and all the other crap that comes with mining .. they had the same kinda screen locking system ... so i suppose if its good nuff for them ....

:)