Line Capacity of Spools or Reels often given as m/kg

Alkor

In the past and present I have always come across a real (reel!!) problem working out how much of a certain line will fit my reel/spool. The capacity of a given reel/spool will depend entirely on the diameter of the line (determined by the volume of the winding space). Reel manufactures tend to declare their line capacities as m/lb or m/kg. Lines of the same lb/kg rating can have vastly different diameters. Wouldn't it make sense to rate the capacity by the line diameter? !!!!

I use a cheap line to pre-fill the spool and then I wind on the good stuff. But it is always hit and miss because the real capacity cannot be determined. I hate to waste metres of an expensive line just because I wasn't able to calculate the ratio.

Perhaps I should spool on the full length of good line first and then fill up with the cheap stuff until the spool is full to achieve maximum casting distance. Then reverse the spooling onto a second identical spool. Downside is that one needs a second reel/spool of the same make.to do this.

Does someone have a formula for this? Or even a table for a variety of reels?

We should force reel manufactures to label their line capacities in m/mm. That would make real sense and preparing for fishing a lot more easier. I could measure the diameter of an unknown line with callipers and don't need to know the lb/kg rating in order to work out how much of it will fit a certain spool/reel.

Cheers,

Peter

Very good questions peter and I sometimes have the same trouble myself. Not sure of the answer but for example.......

If you have a 2500 reel that can take 180yards of 6lb. I would use 50yards of 10lb mono then wind on my 125yards of 6lb berkley fireline. Sometimes this is short of a full spool. However, if I hit the backing on a fish, I think I'm under the gun with that line anyway and wish I had my 10-15lb line and a 4000 reel, if you get my drift.

But I understand your frustration. Sometimes it's just trial and error!

Cheers scratchie!!!

The way I normally do it, which is really cost ineffective....is to get the 300m spools. of light line these will do any reel in the small bracket. However usually about 150-200m is needed, so sometimdz you're left with under a full spool remaining. Which frustrates.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quite simple really, tie your braid onto the spool and wind on as much as you think you will need and then fill to capacity with your backing line of choice.wind this onto a hand line spool, you can retrofit the hand spool onto a cordless drill if you want to do it quicker. Then using a second handspool wind the line onto this,this will mean the backing line will end up on the top layer of the spool. Then simply lay the spool on the floor in a bucket and wind onto your main spool. That way you will end up with the perfect amount of line with no wastage. A couple of handlines should only cost a few dollars each, and rigged onto a cordless drill the whole process should take no longer than 10 mins tops. cheers troutboy

Quite simple really, tie your braid onto the spool and wind on as much as you think you will need and then fill to capacity with your backing line of choice.wind this onto a hand line spool, you can retrofit the hand spool onto a cordless drill if you want to do it quicker. Then using a second handspool wind the line onto this,this will mean the backing line will end up on the top layer of the spool. Then simply lay the spool on the floor in a bucket and wind onto your main spool. That way you will end up with the perfect amount of line with no wastage. A couple of handlines should only cost a few dollars each, and rigged onto a cordless drill the whole process should take no longer than 10 mins tops. cheers troutboy

That's what I have always done. but using a spare old Alvey to wind the line on from your reel. I pull the line off the side of the reel to stop any twist being added to the new line.

Works a treat

Cheers

Paikea

I have an excel spreadsheet that will do it all for you, however I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload it or attach it here. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy

Hi Crossfire63,

When you quote or create a new topic, click on "More Reply Options" and you get the "Attach Files" option.

I haven't used this option yet.

Thanks troutboy, I give that a go.

Ever had an issue with line twist doing that?

Hi Troutstalker, no never had an issue with line twist to date , if you have any concerns drop the hand line into a bucket of water,the spool will float and orientate itself into the position the line wants to be in and run the line across or through a cloth to remove the excess water and help maintain tension. This will also help pack the braid on tightly minimising loose loops and potential wind knots down the track. cheers troutboy

• 4 months later...