Back to basics. Catching livebait

NaClH2OK9

Up untill recently I've done most of my fishing from charter boats. Buying my first boat last month has presented me with some new challenges with fishing and although I'm slightly embarrassed to ask (isn't this school boy stuff). I'm finding catching bait a challenge.

I the importance to burley up and have tried various hook sizes but the little buggers seen to eat the burley and ignore my offerings.

What terminal tackle and bait would you advise as most sucessfull.

I. E. Pre tied or number style and size of hooks ect. Best bait?

I'm not especially looking to catch baits to lure large predators ( though that would be good) its so much as finding alternatives to frozen pilchards which don't seem to last seconds on the hook. Before small stuff have destroyed them.

Thanks.

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Looks like you are almost there, finding the live bait can be tge hardest part

Where are you fishing and what are you seeing in your burly trail

For little yellor tails the smallest bait jigs work well. If the fish are shy then the tiniest it of bread on the bait jig hooks work a treat, otherwise with hand lines tge same but make sure you use the smallest weight required to keep your bait in tge burely trail as the will not touch it if you have a heavy weight

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply Simba. You may base just identified my issue first time round. I just grab the next weight in the pot. Prob 2 to 3 oz. Fish tend to be little yellow tail and larger 8-10inch silver fish. I think v small Taylor. Do you fish a single hook rig? I've been using 3 hook paternoster style

......... SaltWaterDog

It does help to know where you are fishing. However, most headlands hold live bait. Burley a little, use a handline unweighted or with a small split shot and small or long shank hook. Small piece of bread, pillie prawn etc. you should have no trouble. Sabiki jigs will mainly catch yakkas but will also catch a lot of unwanted fish and are a nuisance.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sabiki jig is the way to go, and pilchard does well most of the time. I I dice small peices of fillet, and a light weight. Cast out about the depth you want it to go and when it hits the water lock the bail arm, as it travels thru the water to your desired depth this will attract the fish.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Sorry guys. I was asked and didn't answer. I'm cronulla based and fish the hacking. I've not too much problem finding them it's the hooking them that has been problematic. I really appreciate the advice.

Steve

......... SaltWaterDog

Mate I invested in a sabiki bait rod and have found it to be awesome and saves me a lot of fiddling around with those bait jigs! I buy the sabiki jigs and this rod allows you to not have to change the jig every outing. It's an interline rod so you reel the jig inside the rod.

Im not too far away from you (blakehurst), more than welcome to take it and try it out if you like? Never had an issue catching lives on it!

Mate I invested in a sabiki bait rod and have found it to be awesome and saves me a lot of fiddling around with those bait jigs! I buy the sabiki jigs and this rod allows you to not have to change the jig every outing. It's an interline rod so you reel the jig inside the rod.

Im not too far away from you (blakehurst), more than welcome to take it and try it out if you like? Never had an issue catching lives on it!

There's an offer you can't refuse

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Guest Aussie007

using the bait jigs i use a small squid tentacle on each hook dangle it over the side and let the yakkas,sweep,tailor hook them self u have around 10 seconds to reel them in or they spit the hook there is no need to lift the rod to hook them as they hook them self, the sabiki jig hooks are razor sharp

I have been hearing a little bit about the Sabiki rods, how much are they?

Mate from memory I think I paid about $70-$80 for it. If you live bait a lot, definitely worth it. Those bait jigs can be a real pain to handle. Keeps it all nice and neat inside the rod and less cluttler on your boat. Worth every penny IMO.

Very generous kiro. I'm not going to be fishing for a couple of weeks now (used up all my passes) I'll give the jigs a try first and let you know how I get on. I'm pretty sure it's the heavy sinker that has been killing it for me. Thanks for all the advice guys.

......... SaltWaterDog

LOL those bloody passes :) No worries mate, offer is always there. When we find something that works, always good to share it with other fishos! Keep us posted on how you go :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I wanted a solution to the terrible tangles you get with the sabiki jigs so I made this dual purpose two piece beach/sabiki rod around ten years ago with pvc adapters that works a treat.

I have the small adapter pictured and another one 3 foot longer that just slip on and off the end of the rod.

I use the short adapter on the boat and the longer one if I want some casting distance.

Cheers.

As for baits I burley hard and have had luck using mince, squid, bread etc.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

While we are talking Sabiki jigs, has anyone had any success using them when it is dark? I mean without the hooks baited as well. Never works for me when dark.

I don't bother baiting up Sabiki jigs. If I'm going to go to the trouble of doing that I think its more convenient and less headaches and tangles to just use a single hook rig with a tiny running sinker and a long shank hook.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to give a follow up as today was the first fish I've done since raising this ( haven't the weekends been ruff!?!)

Any way thanks to everyone for thier advice. Lightly weighted hand line has transformed my catch rate. Unfortunately not any yakas just lots of other species most of which were tiny snapper but no worries I'm hooking tiddlers and. I'm sure a little effort on spots will bring the livies.

Thanks again for your great advice ( all tiddlers were released alive)

......... SaltWaterDog

I have not heard this mentioned here but if you order a Sabiki rod they do come in a few different lengths and also within a reel mount suited to either eggbeaters or small overheads.

If you buy the one suited to an overhead reel the entry point into the rod is too close to the reel seat and can be a problem with eggbeater style reel.

Cheers

Having been catching live bait for many years, have tried the jigs and always revert back to a 3kg handline, small pinched sheet lead 50 cm above a no. 10 longshank hook with a sliver of squid. Burley with pilchards and bread. When you feel the bite, just let them go a little and than retrieve. You will be busier than a one armed bricklayer in Afghanistan.

Sorry guys. I was asked and didn't answer. I'm cronulla based and fish the hacking. I've not too much problem finding them it's the hooking them that has been problematic. I really appreciate the advice.

Steve

......... SaltWaterDog

When you say hooking them , do you get bites but miss them? Are you off headlands or off some structure like a wharf?

I ask this because sometime I notice the Yakkas slowly swim up to the bait and take it so delicately they can be hard to catch. I watch them come up to the bait and they just seem to gently suck at it. You feel them move away with it and strike only to miss or just catch them in the very edge of the lip and then lose them as you lift them from the water. You catch a few but its hard work.

Then at a certain point in the tide the Yakkas will suddenly become ravenous and you can't help but catch them. They swim in fast, grab it without hesitation and race off.

Other times it may be that the burley has started to do its trick.

Often (at night in the harbour) around any of the wharfs, I can hear small tailor all around as they hit baitfish on the surface. While this action is on the yakkas go very quite and take baits very reluctantly and with no commitment.

This is fishing 2kg hand line a small suicide hook, no sinker or a very small split shot on a handline and a piece of prawn or pilchard. I only use the Sabiki when the yakkas are ravenous and taking the jigs without baits added to them.

When I used to live in the shire I would hit the Lugarno road wharf very early in the morning and it was always alive with squid and yakkas. But that was 20 years ago now so I can't vouch for it today.

Edited by fragmeister

If you can, fish completely unweighted. This can be an issue if there is sweep and other pickers, but increases my catch rate. Use mustad sneck hooks not long shank! They're very sticky. And for bait- anything works really

Edited by nickb111

I tried a new technique on the weekend... Stopper, large float about a three hook style paternoster rig with a small-med sinker at the bottom. Baited with tiny bits of pilchards. I found the float provided enough resistance that the yakkas basically hooked themselves. The three hooks simply means you don't have to keep rebaiting some often. It also helped that there was a school of thousands of yakkas around the rocks too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk