Some transducer/ff mount questions

Witha

G'day guys, so picked up a garmin echo 300c on special, now comes the fun part of mounting /installing my first fish finder...after hours of youtube and forum searching I've gone with a through hull shoot, here are some photos of the yak relating to the questions I have

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

So. I have two hatches, one big one small, and am going to mount the display on that centre console. You can see from the shot of inside the console that one of the compartments looks suspiciously battery shaped :P so was going to put the battery there in a sealed bag, and run the transducer cable up through the bottom to keep things water tight. Didn't want to mount battery in hull as theres a little water in there that I'd like to avoid. The questions: should I mount the transducer through the front or rear hatch; is it better (for readings/calm water) to have it under my bum (harder install) or can I have it just in the hull near the bait console. Do I mount it off centre due to the thickened "keel" part of the hull. Some people have just globbed sellys all clear onto the transducer and stuck it down, some have made a well out of high density foam to make a little bath for it, any preference? Also...Although I would probably work it out. Is there a neat way of getting the cables through? As you can see access is fairly limited.

Thanks guys for any input

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

G'day.

I mounted my tranny just about under my seat in the keel, and it has worked fine. I was thinking that there would rarely be any air that far under the yak.

I mounted mine with sellys all clear that I left in a tub of hot water to 10 mins, to make it runnier, which helps to encourage any air bubbles to float to the surface, and keep the nozzle of the silicone the head of the tube submerged in the glob and you shouldn't get any bubbles.

To prep before gluing I gave the position where I was mounting a sand with some 80grit sandpaper, and cleaned it well with metho.

After you glue it don't touch the kayak for at least a week as silicone takes that long to fully harden when it's in a big glob, I had a mate that left it for 3 days and the silicone and tranny peeled off after about a month and we had to redo it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Leo

Oh and to route the cables I made a grommet out of sikaflex I pretty much laid a big glob around the cable and after it had skinned over, half an hour or so I shaped it with wet fingers. I had to cover a 20mm hole for the plug, and didn't think silicone had enough strength to hold it.

Let me know if you want pictures.

Cheers Leo

Oh and to route the cables I made a grommet out of sikaflex I pretty much laid a big glob around the cable and after it had skinned over, half an hour or so I shaped it with wet fingers. I had to cover a 20mm hole for the plug, and didn't think silicone had enough strength to hold it.

Let me know if you want pictures.

Cheers Leo

Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated. Just gotta work out how to route the cables from under my seat to the bait console. Also the rear hatch is tiny has me worried about setting it right. Hopefully I can get away with having it a bit further back so I can see what I'm doing :P

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk