First Luderick on fly

This afternoon I went down to Merimbula wharf looking for a few fish. I started out flicking a 68mm waxwing in mullet colour looking for a few salmon and tailor and was having no luck. Nothing wanted to have a shot at it no matter what I did. Meanwhile I saw a few gents up on the corner baiting for a few luderick which they were getting in. At this point I decided if they were getting them I might as well have a crack too.

I took my fly rod down there just in case a few were getting about so I made the quick decision to set it up and go down onto the rocks nearby and have a crack at them myself before the sun faded. I was down there for about 10 minutes watching what the waves were doing whilst the guys on the bait were pulling them up one after the other.

I made up my mind to have a go and about 15 minutes in and about 3 casts I managed my first Luderick which came in at a respectable 38cm. I tried again for about an hour after the first and missed two takes. I was using a strike indicator about 9ft up my leader which dipped twice but when I struck the fish just spat them. It seems after that though that they had shut down for the evening as the guys up on the wharf only got one more after I pulled in my one in also.

I had never caught a Luderick before on bait or fly so I was pretty darn impressed with myself on putting a new species under my belt and on the fly rod. The light had all but disappeared down there so I was unable to take a pic but I bought it home so I could measure it and take a photo to share with you all.

Gear used was:

Sage Vantage 5wt

Rio gold wf5f

9ft FC leader

3ft 6lb FC rock tippet

Stringy weed fly.

I am sure this will be the first of many as I do believe it is quite a lucrative little spot for the blackies.

Also I do believe it is a 2nd place fishraider record just behind the 1st place by 1.5cm. I have a feeling I am going to knock that off very soon. ;)

Luc.

post-22055-0-43508900-1396861822_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trout Stalker

Thanks Stewy. I was happy with how things turned out. Those blackies go pretty well on the fly gear. I will definitely be having another go at them very soon. In fact I will probably have another shot at them tomorrow.

Cheers Frag,

They are great fun on the fly. I had been wanting to give it a go for a while and am glad I finally did. They had no issues going for the fly itself. It was a pretty convincing replica. If I was a blackie I would eat it hehe.

Congratulations Luc and tremendous effort!

What a rewarding experience.

I hope this is the first of many more for you on fly and yes it won't be long before that record is yours.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

All the best

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I was super happy with the result. I am going to keep having a go at them as they can be caught down here all year around and they go great on the 5wt. I went the next day and managed 2 hook ups but lost them at my feet in the weed as I was going for my net. It fought better than the one I landed and I daresay it was bigger than the one above in the post.

Nice work luc. Seems like you've been getting a bit more fishing done since the move from the mountains. Great to see. I bet your still looking for that big kingy though! Lol

Great work on the 2nd place. I'm sure you'll break that record in no time!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers bud. Indeed I have, being a 5 minute walk from the water definitely helps, sure beats 2 hours drive away from it. That big kingy is still in my sights, it is only a matter of time me thinketh. I will not rest until I find that monster again. I refuse to let a fish get the better of me hehehe.

Nice work mate. Did you make the fly yourself? I occasionally see a few luderick around Sydney harbour and have thought it would be fun to make a few flys to keep in the tackle box ( I would still just fish with a spinning rod though )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dan. I didn't make it myself though I would like to. I just don't know where to find the materials. They only cost me a buck each though and they work so I'm not complaining.

Edited by Trout Stalker