Live Bait Tank

Linc

So I've decided I need a live bait tank for the tinny (4.3M) there's plenty of space on the transom or if I go more portable just something to sit in the back of the boat.

I don't mind spending a couple hundred, but I've seen these Esky Live Bait Kits online for sale which have the pump, aerator etc, has anyone tried one of those?

Or does anyone have any recommendations for a good setup? I just want to be able to keep more than 5 or 6 livies alive for a couple of hours :)

Wondering if the esky live bait kit would work in one of these?

post-30908-0-91249600-1397340967_thumb.jpg

Edited by Linc

Guest Aussie007

hey Linc that barrel might be a little too big for a 4.3m boat i used the same one on a 5.6 meter boat and even than felt the 65L bait tank when it was full, ive tried a few different tanks including a 20L bucket from bunning which worked on a 4.3m quintrex but felt to ass heavy when it was filled and it often made a gargling sound that was annoying

Picture811.jpg

Picture494-1.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

last pic shows 3 hoses 2 are intake one from the pump the other from the pick up and the 3rd is the overflow

Guest Aussie007

forgot to add u can buy a 20-25L empty square plastic drums from the big warehouse starting with a "B" in the chlorine/pool section it would make a ideal live bait tank

Thanks Gazza, So the DIY kits seem pretty easy to setup on just about any container? have noted your comments on size, don't wanna go overboard and sue twice as much fuel for the sake of a few yakkas.

Will the overflow hose go uphill alright? I'm hoping to avoid cutting any holes in the boat if I can.

Guest Aussie007

the over flow gravity feeds from the LBT back into the ocean if u have the overflow hose higher than your outlet on the LBT it'll overflow your LBT, u can see with the bucket i used i had to have the overflow so high so it would gravity feed over my transom

Hmm that makes me think setting it up on the transom of the quinnie might be the best way to go if I can rig up something to hold it in place, maybe occy straps would do the trick.

"forgot to add u can buy a 20-25L empty square plastic drums from the big warehouse starting with a "B" in the chlorine/pool section it would make a ideal live bait tank"

I'd been wondering where to get them. Just picked one up this afternoon. $20. :)

Thanks Gazza

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Guest Aussie007

Hmm that makes me think setting it up on the transom of the quinnie might be the best way to go if I can rig up something to hold it in place, maybe occy straps would do the trick.

the bait tank will pretty much hold its self when full but leaning up against the transom helps

"forgot to add u can buy a 20-25L empty square plastic drums from the big warehouse starting with a "B" in the chlorine/pool section it would make a ideal live bait tank" I'd been wondering where to get them. Just picked one up this afternoon. $20. :) Thanks Gazza ......... SaltWaterDog

SWD what was the actual size of those containers?

You may need one of the bigger stores. I've not seen these at taren point road ( my local store) so went to kirrawee. They had one left after my visit which looked like it had been used ( water in it) and couldn't see the rubber cap seal inside but didn't check the screw cap.

......... SaltWaterDog

Thanks Paikea. I haven't got my head around fitting yet but am also looking at a bench seat at the rear so will prob be able to lash tight into the rear port side. But then I need to consider other weight distribution. Anyway ducking out as not my thread. I'll post some pics when I have mine plumbed.

Good luck linc

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Thanks Paikea. I haven't got my head around fitting yet but am also looking at a bench seat at the rear so will prob be able to lash tight into the rear port side. But then I need to consider other weight distribution. Anyway ducking out as not my thread. I'll post some pics when I have mine plumbed. Good luck linc ......... SaltWaterDog

Feel free to hijack mate, looks like we're both in the same boat so we can learn from each other's successes (and hopefully not mistakes) :)

Ok if I'm not stepping on toes :) mine is going in a 5.2m boat. I've carried a spare 25l fuel a few times and the weight don't upset the handling ( though I have had previous nose heavy issues) but back to it.

I see no reason to overspend on this and am very confident with my plumbing I've seen kits for $80 which seems stupid for a $25 pump and a bit of pipe.

I'm now wondering what size pump to use. I don't want live bait thinking there in a washing machine. I appreciate it all depends on head of water. Let's say 1m

Would a 30lpm pump be too much??

......... SaltWaterDog

I picked up one of the $20 30L containers today, it looks perfect for the job, very excited to hook it up. I'm thinking of getting a rechargeable 12v battery instead of hooking up to the boat battery, I had one on my Hobie livewell for the kayak and it lasted a few trips on a charge.

Same question as SWD, what size of pump to get? Also is it necessary to have a water pickup for when moving or is this just a way of saving battery and it would work fine with just one intake (from the pump) and the overflow?

Guest Aussie007

NaCIH2OK9

Linc

i had a 35L tank using a small aerator on the intake my aerator was placed around 1m above the pump as i bought it all as a bait tank kit it came with a johnson pump 550-600GPH from memory and it has just enough flow rate to work and wasnt really aerating just moving water actually, if u can afford a bigger pump go that option and put a 19mm inline tap in the intake line u can buy the taps for a few bucks at the same shop u bought the drums

as for the pickup i found i dont need one on my boats when im using yakkas or mullet im either drifting or anchored so both times i can turn the pump on, the pick in my case never worked unless i was doing around 30kph or more so it was pointless as my last boat sat at around that speed for fuel economy and it was only a very slow flow rate so something to take into consideration

u dont need the pump running all the time i had one time 19 medium to large yakkas in the 35L tank and only turned the pump on for 5mins every half an hour or so they were happy all day long in summer

Gazza. Did you leave the air pump running all the time? I'm wondering if a spray bar (as long as it's not obstructing getting the bait out) or venturi would aerate enough.

(600 gph(us gallons) is 35lpm) so would you go 40 50 or 60 lpm.?

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Guest Aussie007

Gazza. Did you leave the air pump running all the time? I'm wondering if a spray bar (as long as it's not obstructing getting the bait out) or venturi would aerate enough. (600 gph(us gallons) is 35lpm) so would you go 40 50 or 60 lpm.? ......... SaltWaterDog

its not a air pump mate just a aerator, heres an aerator i have in my current tinny i use a Rule oxygenator spray head valve with a Rule 360gph pump the small pump works great and is only working at about 50% pressure in the video below but its only about 20cm above the pump

post-3154-0-85255500-1397493873.jpg

Hi guys,

I think the rule 360 will kill I with an inline tap to control the flow. The fresh water in plumbed through the top and piped down to the bottom. You will need a pin hole at the top to prevent self syphoning.

With the outlet at the top and inlet at the bottom you will be getting the tank flushed out well with no real need for an aerator.

You may like to install a drain plug/ tap as well.

The pick up if mounted below the pump pushes the water through the pump when underway.

See link below. It might help

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=26462&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Thanks again guys, sounds like the pickup won't be necessary for me as most of my time on the boat is spent fishing either drifting, anchored or slow trolling so sounds like the pickup won't be worth the effort, I'll just throw the pump over the back and away we go. Plan is to get building this weekend, will show the end results.