Live Bait Tank

Linc

Guest Aussie007

u need the pump submerged mate once its in the water it'll pump water just remember to lift it back in before u drive off

u need the pump submerged mate once its in the water it'll pump water just remember to lift it back in before u drive off

All good, that's what I was hoping for. Sounds simple enough from here thanks for all the advice

Interesting topic because I just kitted out my boat with a DIY live tank as well. I got an esky from B and a 500GPH pump kit from B_F. My pump is permanently fixed to the transom so basically drilled a hole and fitted the intake of the pump with supplied parts & sealant. I drilled three holes in the esky two at the top for incoming & other for overflow and the third one at the bottom for draining. The pump is wired to the battery with a switch to turn on & off. I haven't had a chance to test it on the water yet but when I tested the setup on the sink before fitting the flow rate was very high so I reckon the fish will feel as though they are in a "washing machine" lol. I have been wanting to reduce the flow rate as well so might drop into B and get one of those inline taps as well which will also be ensure water won't flow into the boat when esky is removed!

Also, through my testing in the sink I found that there is no valve on the pump to stop water from flowing back when switched off so if the flow in to the tank is at the bottom, water will start draining out as soon as pump is switched off. So the solution was to have the flow-in at the top but I plan to connect a hose on the inside of the tank to push water to the bottom from the flow-in.

I'll try to take some pics and post when I get a chance.

Going to Port Stephen this weekend where I'm hoping to test out the setup & catch plenty. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanman. I follow you all the way and mine will be similar though I'll prob do fro. Scratch instead of a kit.

You need to drill a hole in the inlet pipe inside the tank. This will stop it back siphoning

......... SaltWaterDog

must be live tank month! I just mounted one on my Bermuda. Tt is a bought tank, I mounted it on release brackets on the back step outside the transom, the rule 360 pump is bolted to the transom and connects to the tank through a garden hose fitting, so I can remove the tank if I don't need it, and I can also use the pump as a wash down. had to put a tap in the feed so I don't overflow the tank, and the drain and outlet run straight overboard. will put a piccy up tomorrow

Guest Aussie007

must be live tank month! I just mounted one on my Bermuda. Tt is a bought tank, I mounted it on release brackets on the back step outside the transom, the rule 360 pump is bolted to the transom and connects to the tank through a garden hose fitting, so I can remove the tank if I don't need it, and I can also use the pump as a wash down. had to put a tap in the feed so I don't overflow the tank, and the drain and outlet run straight overboard. will put a piccy up tomorrow

ill like to see how u done it mate as the boat im building has a platform on the back and i havent made up my mind to either build a built in one or purchase one and bolt it onto the platform

I've just returned from the B Place after looking at all the plumbing and gardening connectors. Couldn't find what I was after.

Pirates what are you using for tank connectors on the live tank itself?

......... SaltWaterDog

I think so but Kirrawee were short on most 3/4 but I wasn't looking for a tap explicitly.

Tbh i found it all a bit confusing. I spent a few years in the UK plumbing and have put together complicated reef tank filtration so I know a little about what should be available. All the 3/4 were either heavy duty swimming pool stuff or what looked like mains water connectors. I asked what would you use as an overflow from a header tank and was told just silicon one of these in which sounds bol*cks to me. I'm thinking I'll end up having to get a kit :(

The hosepipe connector is exactly what I was thinking for quick release but it seems I'd end up with a bit of a frankenstien set of joiners.

Again I couldn't find a tank connector that terminated in hose pipe fitting

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

I found that the lightweight irrigation fittings at the B wearhouse were the best go pricewise, though you may need a hose clip to secure, though with the low pressure involved you could use a cable tie instead, the tank came with inlet and outlet and I tapped a fitting in low for the drain and yes it looks a bit frankenstien. you can get a fitting male thread on end and barb t'other end for your hose, and another fitting, female thread, and use them as a bulkhead fitting, with a bit of silicon.

Guest Aussie007

u use thru hull skin fittings to connect to the bait tank for inlet and outlet but there is only one mesh screen ive seen being sold and it only suits the 19mm skin fitting for the overflow its a shame because us fisher man really need the bigger size skin fitting as the overflow

u can buy the thru hull skin fittings from boating accessory shops

i picked up one of those at b see eff, also decided to pickup a bilge pump hose kit for $13 or so which has the hose, 2 stainless clamps and the thru-hull fitting to attach the bilge to the tank, looks like it should be fairly neat. Just need to track down some taps now.

Pmsl with how these place names are being written. Have you got a photo of the bilge kit? Sounds the job but can't picture it. I need to build my rear bench first so went in to collect all the bits and the only had half of what I needed. Good job it's a 4day weekend comming chance to project AND fish.

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Guest Aussie007

i picked up one of those at b see eff, also decided to pickup a bilge pump hose kit for $13 or so which has the hose, 2 stainless clamps and the thru-hull fitting to attach the bilge to the tank, looks like it should be fairly neat. Just need to track down some taps now.

u get those from the b store in the gardening section you'll find them in the irrigation part next to sprinklers and hose adapters etc..

goto the B stores web site and type in

"Poly Irrigation Pope 19mm Inline Barb Tap"

or google "irrigation tap 19mm" and the first one that pops up is the same shop

Here was my first attempt using a 60L carboy, 12v led light, 19mm flow-rite powerstream & a 38mm cockpit drain. Served it's purpose...
inletb10.jpginlet11.jpglitup210.jpg

And my latest 55L bait tank purchased off Ebay & fitted out the same way. I also use a pro timer with it & an inline tap to adjust incoming flow...
1966720_10203251156342067_586164512_n.jp1743649_10203251156142062_307448722_n.jp

Edited by cyber_crimes
  • Like 1

Guest Aussie007

Have finished all the plumbing and wiring only to find that i have a fuse holder but no bloody fuse! Nobody knows where to get one on Easter Sunday do they? :)

petrol stations mate u mgiht need ot try a few different ones the ones thats are not a big franchise usually have a whole stack of different fuses