Squid in bobbin head

FishingScent

Hello being reading up on fish raider reports for a while now so it's time for me to contribute. Went squiding at bobbin head/cowan creek last week and did quite well, the came on the bit for about an hour then disappeared. Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch for down there at the moment mate!

There are only the arrow squid at this area. At the moment, they are quite small, and a bit tempremental! 4 is a good catch land based in an hour now. September/November there was a good few weeks on big arrows though.

I fish this spot atleast 1ce a week, as i live about 4mins away (If you ever see a teal FD RX7 down there, say hi!)

I dont really want to give away specific locations, but there are 2 main obvious spots land based. Remember that squid need sand, weed and structure. Look for that, and your in for a chance down there.

If heading towards the Hawkesbury on a boat, try the tip of smiths and cowan (think they the waterways?). You can see Cottage point quite clearly in this spot. VERY productive area. I do have LED strips around the gunnel of the boat to attract the bait fish, which in turn brings the squid on, but use a bit of berley, attract the fish, and the squid will swarm the area.

Nice catch for down there at the moment mate!

There are only the arrow squid at this area. At the moment, they are quite small, and a bit tempremental! 4 is a good catch land based in an hour now. September/November there was a good few weeks on big arrows though.

I fish this spot atleast 1ce a week, as i live about 4mins away (If you ever see a teal FD RX7 down there, say hi!)

I dont really want to give away specific locations, but there are 2 main obvious spots land based. Remember that squid need sand, weed and structure. Look for that, and your in for a chance down there.

If heading towards the Hawkesbury on a boat, try the tip of smiths and cowan (think they the waterways?). You can see Cottage point quite clearly in this spot. VERY productive area. I do have LED strips around the gunnel of the boat to attract the bait fish, which in turn brings the squid on, but use a bit of berley, attract the fish, and the squid will swarm the area.

I also live close but I have written the area off as all I catch there are small bream. What do you catch there that keeps you going so often? I've never caught squid there I guess but I only fish the pontoon. Is it worth walking around to apple tree bay for squid or flathead cause there seems to be none where I fish.

Cheers

I also live close but I have written the area off as all I catch there are small bream. What do you catch there that keeps you going so often? I've never caught squid there I guess but I only fish the pontoon. Is it worth walking around to apple tree bay for squid or flathead cause there seems to be none where I fish.

Cheers

I collect bait down there mate. I normally go down for squid. Flattys, EPs, decent bream, tailor, whiting and hairtail can all be caught in areas. I have seen with my own eyes jewies pulled up here too. Not common at all, but they do get there. All i want to really say is, it can be quite worthwhile going for a bit of a walk, in either direction from where you fish ;)

The main reason i keep going down there is because it is close. There really are 1001 better places to fish, but if you persist down there and get over the tiny bream hurdle, it can fish ok SOMETIMES. Mate pulled out a 1m hairtail the other night too, which i suppose is a good sign that they are coming back. Last night was an absolute stinker. The largest fish was a 10cm bream and not a single squid spotted.

• 9 months later...

I want to go fishing squid in bobbin head is the wharf at Apple tree bay good??? and how do you set up a squid jig? is it just squid jig + line and swivel to your main line and that is it?

On the subjects of squid, i sent one as live bait only to find it covered in these white maggot like ... i dunno, creature? It was completely covered and have made a meal out of the squid. As soon as i lift it out of the water, they seem to disappear or drop off the bait.

What the hell are these? Have you encountered this before? It freaked me out completely, i hate crawlies like that especially when i think it devoured a complete live squid before as i only pulled up the cartilidge.

Anyways, care to educate on what these little white creatures are?