Home made aquarium

Fab1

Geez gianniz,I must confess the pictures are not mine, to be CLEAR they are IDEAS taken from the internet which I have modified as im a FIRM believer in not copying someone elses ideas.

Once again I apologise to anyone that may have been mislead.

Like I said before I think, I work in glass and building my aquarium SIMILAR to this was not a big deal.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

• 6 years later...

Somethings a bit odd with this thread, same post at the top ofeach page & also I can see the pictures on my android phone but on PC can only see http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/y5u4a7ar.jpg with symbol.

Old thread I know, maybe different format now??

A bit like you some of the badges apear now.

Anyway @Fab1 I did look at the thread on phone & you certainly do do some great looking builds!

Could have been your calling to do an Aussie version of this show-

https://www.natgeotv.com/int/fish-tank-kings/videos

On 3/4/2021 at 6:54 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

@kingie chaser and @Steve-o this thread is very old. Tapatalk is not used anymore on here. 

I am moving it to The Bar and closing it. The Aquarium is really for ID of fish.

By all means start a new thread on this subject. Maybe you have made some more @Fab1

I haven't made anything lately for a few years due to family health issues etc Donna.I don't have pics or see or communicate with inlaws as mrs isn't on good terms with them any more.

I have had plans for a few years to convert a mirrored old dressing table into an aquarium though.

If the planet's align I find the right one and get hold of materials I will post the build for anyone intrested.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, motiondave said:

I was thinking of looking for second hand aquarium and converting to salt water, I could fill it with baby bream, baby snapper, baby darts, and yellow tail and toss in a few live prawns to help the eco system. Maybe a few little squid if I get them alive enough. Im amazed when I go bait fishing what I could get for a tank.

I would avoid keeping species with min legal size.

3 hours ago, savit said:

I would avoid keeping species with min legal size.

interesting......is there a law that prohibits keeping "undersize" snapper, bream etc in a tank as pets?

I thought the size limit would only apply for recreational fishing.

18 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

interesting......is there a law that prohibits keeping "undersize" snapper, bream etc in a tank as pets?

I thought the size limit would only apply for recreational fishing.

My opinion:  if you purchase live undersize fish legally -  then you can keep it, bake it, fry it, give it to your neighbour's cat. If you caught undersize fish then you are not allowed to keep it, you must return it to water immediately with the least possible harm. I cant comment on commercial fishing operations.

1 minute ago, savit said:

My opinion:  if you purchase live undersize fish legally -  then you can keep it, bake it, fry it, give it to your neighbour's cat. If you caught undersize fish then you are not allowed to keep it, you must return it to water immediately with the least possible harm. I cant comment on commercial fishing operations.

I get that..... but do the laws of "recreational fishing" apply when your not "fishing".

What if i am a student conducting research on the growth rate of a specific fish species. is all my research only to be conducted on fish above legal size?

6 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

I get that..... but do the laws of "recreational fishing" apply when your not "fishing".

What if i am a student conducting research on the growth rate of a specific fish species. is all my research only to be conducted on fish above legal size?

I got your point too. I guess Fisheries heard about research of undersize fish many times particularly from students and other backpackers already. On a serious note - a simple call or email to Fisheries (as these people have the rights of checking licenses, bags and other limits on the spot) would clarify their position in regards of legality of this matter, and required procedure  in case it is really  for research.

14 hours ago, motiondave said:

What if I did? Are you going to turn up to my house to check what I've got in the tank? Or follow me around?

Really....I've got two mates that have done that. Obviously it's an issue with you that they have caught live instead of paying for them. 

I know one bloke that paid $20 for one poddy mullet from an aquarium shop, for his tank.

At least I'm not catching heaps of little ones to mulch up into fish cakes on a regular basis, like some people do. 

Maybe you should Question them 

by doing something illegal, you're no better off than the ones consistently catching undersized fish and keeping them....

On 3/9/2021 at 6:55 AM, Fab1 said:

I haven't made anything lately for a few years due to family health issues etc Donna.I don't have pics or see or communicate with inlaws as mrs isn't on good terms with them any more.

I have had plans for a few years to convert a mirrored old dressing table into an aquarium though.

If the planet's align I find the right one and get hold of materials I will post the build for anyone intrested.

Cheers.

Sorry to hear you have issues @Fab1

If you ever feel inclined the members would love to see any future work

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, motiondave said:

You are probably one of those people that reported the bait Shop for having a live squid in one tank and a few small bream, mullet and flathead in another tank in public view. They had to remove them because some conservation cry baby had a "waaa" moment. 

Seriously, suck it up. 

If you want to chase small fry, them talk to the flathead I caught, gutted and found undersize Bream in it. 

I'm talking about two it three little fish, in tank, living happily, so my kids can enjoy something.

I'm not out collecting heaps every week to eat. 

Seriously , are you one of those people that carry on when I keep ONE 70cm flathead to eat, as it's my bag limit.

im not going to get into an argument with you over it, because A- its not worth it, and B- im not going to change your view.

if you think its ok to break the law because its only by a little bit, youre not part of the solution, but part of the problem.

oh yes, lets compare what you're wanting to do willingly to a flathead hunting a bream for food, brilliant argument. 

ive noticed in a few of your replies you mention "certain nationalities" as if "other nationalities" don't break the rules.

here's and idea, drop the stereotypes, and stop thinking you're above the law?

Edited by Rey05

IMHO, as someone who was fined once $500 for having a snapper in possession that was 29.5cm long in the eyes of the fisheries department if you are caught with undersized species as per the size & bag limit its a $500 per fish.

Doesn't matter what anyone else is or isn't caught doing, if they catch you that's what to expect.

As far as aquariums go, I would think they would have.a collectors licence/permit?

Better to take something that is does not have the size limit.

Edited by kingie chaser