Avoca rocks this time of year

Volitan

Hi. Can someone tell me how Avoca rock platform is fishing this time of year. What species can be expected and what method is best - I have a preference for pelagic fish. Is it a chance for kingfish, mack tuna - I would love to catch a mack tuna, or maybe even a striped tuna ?

Also, if you didn't want to fish Avoca (I assume Easter crowds will be a problem), is there another platform on the Central Coast that is equally well regarded, especially for pelagics - and not too dangerous. I saw people fishing at the south end of Putty Beach - is that legal ?

cheers

Arron

Edited by Volitan

Hi Arron, I have headed up to Avoca the last couple weeks hoping to get on the stones but have been unable to due to the swell! I actually got tumbled there a couple weeks before by a freak wave, so please be extremely careful up there. In the last month, i have seen very few kingies coming up, seen a single ~9kg tuna, and even the bonito numbers are dropping off. Salmon and squid are still plentiful, and a few blackies. Best king i have ended up with there has been 55. For the record, i generally go to avoca stones once a week. There is no way in hell i would be venturing up there on a long weekend!

Due to the swell that was hitting the stones, i did venture to find new spots, and came across Putty beach. I only managed a couple salmon, wobby, and a flatty. Didnt notice any no fishing signs. I imagine if you could get onto the platform you may have a good go there for pelagics.

very quiet at the moment, I've had a few looks lately but the swell has made it all tooo dangerous for me.

I might try again tomorrow arvo for some blackies, horsies have nearly all gone and only the occasional king coming in.

Still a bit sketchy though with this sse swell...

very quiet at the moment, I've had a few looks lately but the swell has made it all tooo dangerous for me.

I might try again tomorrow arvo for some blackies, horsies have nearly all gone and only the occasional king coming in.

Still a bit sketchy though with this sse swell...

where do you get your blackies ray ? thought i seen you down then entrance ... PM me if you would rather

cheers

bretto

Update on Avoca. Mate went there while I was occupied elsewhere unfortunately. He fished from around 5am till 2pm for a donut. Only a few bonnies were seen today, and a couple rats.

Unfortunate.. I love a feed of bonito!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...