Drag washers

You can but Carbontex material in sheets and use your old drag washers as a template to cut new ones. They cut easily and once fitted ( particularly with drag grease although you don't have to use it) the drag is super smooth and doesn't get hot and fade like the standard drag washers. It wears much better too and you are apparently able to put more drag on than a standard drags washer... yet to test this with a before and after setup.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

You can but Carbontex material in sheets and use your old drag washers as a template to sit new ones. They cut easily and once fitted ( particularly with drag grease although you don't have to use it) the drag is super smooth and doesn't get hot and fade like the standard drag washers. It wears much better too and you are apparently able to put more drag on than a standard drags washer... yet to test this with a before and after setup.

Cheers

Jim

+1

Common mistake is people replicate same amount of drag washers, carbontex sheets are thicker than the regular felt washers, so this would reslult in a raised drag knob allowing moisture in , so instead of 3 you'd go 2 and you'd still increase your drag.

Depending on how much use a drag has had, I found a good strip down and rebuild of the drag which includes wiping original oil off metal and felt washers with tissue and adding shimano ace 2 grease ( I think it's called from memory, it's out in the garage ) with a light smear on both sides of both types off washers will work wonders

Iv got a little sedona 1000 that iv had for 5 years which i can not seem to kill, it has taken small kings, soapies, bonito, whiting, bream, trevally and so on and so on, and apart from regular oiling of moving parts, I service the drag, you get to know what the right amount of grease is to put on the washers.

I get joy out of looking after my gear because I want to know its in good condition when I'm out there so it dosnt let me down, and if does it's not my fault.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

+1

Common mistake is people replicate same amount of drag washers, carbontex sheets are thicker than the regular felt washers, so this would reslult in a raised drag knob allowing moisture in , so instead of 3 you'd go 2 and you'd still increase your drag.

Depending on how much use a drag has had, I found a good strip down and rebuild of the drag which includes wiping original oil off metal and felt washers with tissue and adding shimano ace 2 grease ( I think it's called from memory, it's out in the garage ) with a light smear on both sides of both types off washers will work wonders

Iv got a little sedona 1000 that iv had for 5 years which i can not seem to kill, it has taken small kings, soapies, bonito, whiting, bream, trevally and so on and so on, and apart from regular oiling of moving parts, I service the drag, you get to know what the right amount of grease is to put on the washers.

I get joy out of looking after my gear because I want to know its in good condition when I'm out there so it dosnt let me down, and if does it's not my fault.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

All very good points Harry, especially the one about the drag knob allowing moisture in if your drag washers are thicker.

I have also heard reports of fishos rebuilding using carbontex and loading their drag up much higher than they could with the standard washers and then stripping gears. While I think this is more likely on older, worn or poorly lubricated reels if the reel is designed for 10 Kg a drag I guess the rest of the reel is also rated for that kind of constant pressure on a fish as well.

Thanks for the info, interesting I might give them a try.

I might use them to beef up a TLD 20 I intend to use for downrigging kingfish, sounds like the perfect application for them!

Also the bail arm roller on threadlines, does this bush need to be greased and if so should I use oil or grease

The Shimano and other reel servicing video's I have found on the net have giving the confidence and inspiration to start servicing my own reels.