More Mulloway

Stoked! Just a quick report of what's been happening these past several days.

With the donuts rolling in :chair: and people on Raider reminding me about it, I put sizeable time in for several sessions in the Parra river landbased and this is what I managed.

Two mulloway :clapping: to blow away the cobwebs. It sure hit the spot!

To be exact, a soapie around 52cm and a bigger schoolie around 88cm. For both fish, i felt the bream-like tap and then on auto-pilot I struck hard and fast. The soapie made a quick dash and after a few runs, it gave up the ghost. However it was still one of the best fights I've had for one that size. The bigger jew stood its ground, and then when it realised it wasn't going to shake me off, kicked into gear. The reel screamed on four occasions, so much so that I think the drag on my reel needs new washers as it's no longer as smooth as it was. :banana:

Apologies for the poor photos, I had camera/phone troubles. Lures that did the damage were squidgie fish and damiki armor shads in red. All fish released to fight another day.

Got lucky on these occasions and I hope the donuts stay away. :mfr_lol:

post-25384-0-17646000-1398160321_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-68851600-1398160454_thumb.jpg

Edited by nbdshroom

Mate well done! Gotta love it when you set out for a target species and succeed man. No more ribbing about doughnuts either :P

What kind of line weight do you use chasing ghosts?

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Edited by Witha

Cheers guys! Just typed up a long response only for it disappear when I accidently clicked on something and moved away from this page grrr.

Regarding Parra river, I agree with Ben. As in don't discount areas that aren't exactly in the Harbour, plenty of potential further in the river as the fish aren't static and will move around.

Line wise, I would recommend a size but I've hooked my jews on 6lb all the way through to 16lb so I can't really say. It's heart breaking to lose a jew or two (it's happened to me!) but there are pros and cons with going lighter or heavier, just choose one to suit the situation.

@ Jeff - Glad to hear that, looking forward to more of your jew exploits. On another note, that Winter chill is starting to creep in ;)

@ Stewy - Cheers, I'm just stoked with the catches.

@ Nibbles - Thanks, looking forward to your next jew report.

@ Luke - Thanks a bunch, I couldn't have caught these fish without your continued help for the slow learner and persistent donut-er than I am haha.

They are nice fish Pete, good work mate. Were you using a double rip retrieve or just a standard lift then drop. Curious on your techniques.

Cheers.

Luc.

I always start off with a double rip since it requires no mental input and can be maintained for hours. If nothing seems to be happening (which is quite often), I'll try to mix it up. Triple hop, single hop and maybe throw in a pause here and there. It can't hurt to vary it up when nothing seems to be happening. If I'm using a wriggler type plastic I'll generally do the lift and drop instead of rips. Hope that helps.

Tremendous stuff as usual Pete and congratulations on a pair of marvellous mulloway :thumbup:

You put in the effort and you get the well deserved results.

Thank you for the report and thanks also for keeping' em coming champ.

Nicely done Sir!

All the best

Ian

Pete you are getting ridiculous with these fish. Just goes to show to everyone that being land based does not limit you one bit.

Looking forward to catching up with you soon mate, give me a buzz!

Cheers, Stan

Cheers Stan, just gotta make hay while the sun shines because fish can be scarcer than hens teeth. Definitely due for a catch up mate.

Tremendous stuff as usual Pete and congratulations on a pair of marvellous mulloway :thumbup:

You put in the effort and you get the well deserved results.

Thank you for the report and thanks also for keeping' em coming champ.

Nicely done Sir!

All the best

Ian

Thanks Ian, very satisfying to see well-earned results after consistent application of oneself. Hope to see you at the social.