Please help

pura vida

Due to a spillage of bait in my car I have forced myself to start lure fishing. I have acquired a large array of lures including surface, diving, blades and softbody (GULP), all of which were chosen by the blokes at bcf. I have tried all sorts of retrieval methods. Don't even get me started on squid jigs. I have tried many locations including clontarf beach, apple tree bay, bobbin head and little manly point which have all been suggested to me. I have fished each of these locations from about 6:00 am to 12:00 and I have never caught a single fish. Am I missing something? this is not a rant at all, I just really need some help!

I do have a boat but fishing is usually land based so locations, lure, methods and any other tips would be much appreciated!

What are you looking to target? No lures are general purpose, most have particular fish they are designed to catch. If you tell us what kind of fish you are targeting and what kind/size of lures you have we can give you some better advice.

Luc.

What are you looking to target? No lures are general purpose, most have particular fish they are designed to catch. If you tell us what kind of fish you are targeting and what kind/size of lures you have we can give you some better advice. 

Luc.

Posted Image

this is what I have been using. the smaller 4" gulps I use a 1/8 jig head and a 1/2 or a 5/8 for the bigger ones! I usually try fish for bream with the hard bodies and flathead with the soft plastics. Attempted to fish kingies at little manly gas works but no luck.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate a 4 inch gulp is pretty much deadly on flatties. The best advice I can give for them is look for some shallow sand flats especially near some weeds and drop offs. Work the drop offs on an outgoing tide and with a single lift hop retrieve and you will be picking them off in no time. Bream are notoriously hard to get on hardbodys until you get the knack for them. They require small twitches with long pauses around structure like rocky outcrops and fallen trees. It is very tackle consuming areas so be prepared to lose a few lures but once you get it they are great fun. I recommend 4-6lb braid and a rod length of 4-6lb flouro leader as they are very easily spooked. Put structure into the search bar and look for a post by adamski and you will see a few pictures of structure that I put in there for him. You will see the kind of areas you will be looking for to find the fish. Also remember that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the area. Once you know what to look for the rest will fall into place pretty quickly.

Good luck mate.

Luc.

I'm new to the plastics scene, and like you I went fishless and frustrated for a while.

I searched the subject here on Fishraider and got my first flathead at Brays Bay in Rhodes,

I fished along the wall between the restaurant and the mangroves at the north end of the park.

Gulp plastic jerk shad 4 inch on a 1/8th in pumpkinseed with a 2m 10lb fluro leader. Those nuclear chicken you have should work fine.

Totally unsophisticated, I just let it sink to the bottom and a slow roll retrieve. Just a few casts an Bang, on.

It was about 2 hours after high tide.

I wouldn't keep anything from there, but it produced the goods.

Maybe see you at the soft plastics social.

Ryder