stevemid

G'Day All,

Those of you who are members of Ausfish may have seen my thread over the last 2 years on 'Building a 23' catamaran.' Well the boat is built and I'm looking to get started fishing. I have been a long term sailor and over the years I have regularly sailed up to QLD in the winters from Sydney. The thing I enjoy most about cruising is fishing. The rule was, 'if I move, I troll' and I always tried to leave enough daylight after anchoring to have a drift around the bay to pick up supper. I've had plenty of luck trolling my red and white Mackerel Maulers. However, at age 67, the single handed deliveries from Sydney to SE QLD are getting a bit much, therefore I built the powerboat which I plan to fish off of around Sydney (continental shelf, coastal and harbour) and can deliver by road to Queensland and live/fish on it while I'm up there.

For some reason, getting started fishing around Sydney is seeming a bit daunting. I am just learning to drive the boat and I've still got to get it set up with rod holders, kill tanks, etc. And there's a lot of water in the Harbour and lots more between the Hawkesbury and Browns Mountain. I've never used burley, live bait or a fish finder. In short, I am hoping that going out with some experienced anglers might help me climb up the learning curve. So, it you are interested in helping our an oldy but a newby please reply or PM me with your situation/details. Here are my details.

Your name: Stevemid
Your Location: Manly
Fishing technique: Trolling, live lining, bottom bouncing
Availability: 7 days
Preferred location: Harbour and offshore
Provide your own gear? Yes
Provide your own boat? Yes

post-33724-0-22595900-1399165394_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice boat mate good luck and hope you find a good fishing partner

Thanks matblack.

Still putting together the boat and acquiring equipment. Finally figured out a combo transducer mount and bait pump for the live well. Building a baitboard this week.

Steve

Edited by stevemid

Hi Steve, mate I was just admiring your boat on Sunday, it hasn't been on the mooring for long & it's a nice looking cat.

We were towing a mooring minder around to 40 baskets for a mooring we've just been allocated; after 12 years it's about bloody time!!

I live in Balgowlah and fish out of north harbour in a tinnie I have down at Davis marina.

Due to having a son at the end of last year and problems with manly council threatening to remove all the tenders along the shore line, I haven't had much time to wet a line. But after getting settled in to family life I'm back in action!

Love to show you the ropes around the harbour; I'm by no means a pro but have been fishing the harbour for 20 odd years and can easily show you a some spots and techniques no problem.

You're really lucky being moored where you are. It's in my opinion the best location out there with easy access to most of the best fishing spots in the harbour and easy access to outside.

My main staple are the bread and butter fish of the harbour, squid and the occasional blue swimmer. We also run off shore in our big boat and chase marlin, tuna, kings and dollies so can help out there as well!

Feel free to pm me.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve, mate I was just admiring your boat on Sunday, it hasn't been on the mooring for long & it's a nice looking cat. We were towing a mooring minder around to 40 baskets for a mooring we've just been allocated; after 12 years it's about bloody time!! I live in Balgowlah and fish out of north harbour in a tinnie I have down at Davis marina. Due to having a son at the end of last year and problems with manly council threatening to remove all the tenders along the shore line, I haven't had much time to wet a line. But after getting settled in to family life I'm back in action!Love to show you the ropes around the harbour; I'm by no means a pro but have been fishing the harbour for 20 odd years and can easily show you a some spots and techniques no problem. You're really lucky being moored where you are. It's in my opinion the best location out there with easy access to most of the best fishing spots in the harbour and easy access to outside.My main staple are the bread and butter fish of the harbour, squid and the occasional blue swimmer. We also run off shore in our big boat and chase marlin, tuna, kings and dollies so can help out there as well!Feel free to pm me.Cheers, Steve

Hey Fishon,

Sounds good. I'm in Manly. Send me a PM with your phone no. I'll do the same.

Steve

• 7 months later...