24kg rods

Hi fellas first post.

I just brought my first game reel (tiagra 50w) and I'd be interested in knowing what rod you guys think I should put on it, being straight or a bent butt and what are the pros and cons of both types. Was thinking a t-curve tiagra series, another brand or should I get a custom made one but they get a bit $$. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks fellas

• 4 years later...
On 5/10/2014 at 10:58 AM, bull dolly said:

Hi fellas first post.

I just brought my first game reel (tiagra 50w) and I'd be interested in knowing what rod you guys think I should put on it, being straight or a bent butt and what are the pros and cons of both types. Was thinking a t-curve tiagra series, another brand or should I get a custom made one but they get a bit $$. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks fellas

Depends on what you are targeting and how you are fishing for that fish.

I'm no expert just getting into game myself but have been chasing around similar to you.

What are you targeting?  50W is a big reel.  Giant Kingies all the way to Bluefin with that one.

How are you fishing?    Live bait, Jigging (50w is too big for that I think), trolling?

Line class?  24kg or +++  Braid or Mono

Rollers or Guides?  My understanding is that unless you are using really good rollers Guides are better for braid and Rollers for Mono,,  That said I have a TCurve and the tolerances of the AFTCO rollers are really good and allegedly better with braid.  Experts please chime in.

For standup I think straight butt unless you are shorter or female.  Chair fishing bent butt. 

Again no expert just what I've been reasearching

Heaps to think about

Bear

I hear you, but before you make any purchases particularily if you are starting out marlin fishing read Pakulas "Between the Lines" and watch the vids, it will get you started- as for a 24kg rod- a few things- for 24kg DONT buy a 15-24 kg rod, buy a 24-37kg rod, gamefishing rods are pretty much good for gamefishing (and thats about it) but go slow and ask lots

Hey bear if your gunna chase marlin  rod choice comes down to straight butt for blacks n stripes to keep your rod up and bent as they spend more time high in water column  bent butt for short corner with bigger lures for blues which end up goin deep and bent butt good for stroking them up  my opinion may be different to others but i have tagged a couple of hundred beaks over the last 25 years...any questions pm me il give u my number

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1