My first striped tuna.

NaClH2OK9

I've previously watched videos on filleting tuna and was unfazed as I got my knife out as this looked like a very basic job.

Hmm. I have never struggled to fillet a big fish so much. These things are bloody bionic. They seem to have two backbones and skin like kevlar. Sinuse running down lateral lines.

I realy struggled and even though I bled immediately. Still ended up with a huge amount of very dark meat and what looked like congealed blood. Whilst filleting I tried a couple of raw slivers and although I like salmon this wasn't leaping out at me.

I've got to say I was pretty deflated by the time I'd finished and it had taken bloody ages.

We pan fried (just seared) a sample and wow!!

One of the best if not the best post fishing feeds we've had.

I now have a reasonable amount left over. Looks like we'll be eating it in various guises for the next couple of meals.

Although On this occasion I think it will all be eaten fresh but can this be frozen?

Google tells me thing like dipping in brine for a minute before snap bagging but this feels unnatural. As water freezing breaks down cells and may turn it to mush. and keeping it fresh in the fridge involves keeping it dry.

Thoughts? Or better still experience?? Thanks.

... Steve

Stripey tuna (skipjack) is what is in pretty much every can of tinned tuna you buy. It is ok when bled and left to sit overnight on a bunch of paper towel to absorb as much oil as possible. I usually use it as bait as it is absolutely gun on almost everything and have found if I freeze it it does have a tendency to go a bit mushy but I have never eaten it after freezing so I am no real expert on the subject. Give it a go and see what happens I guess, worst case scenario you will still have some supreme bait.

Luc.

• 5 weeks later...

You are a braver man than I. I love sashimi, especially tuna but not stripies, too much blood and sinew in them for me. For that very reason, are fantastic bait. If you get the chance, catch an Albacore or Yellowfin and then go to town. But I suggest, don't freeze the stripies and then eat!

Steve