First drummer on fly.

This morning I thought I would try a spot I have never tried for some luderick but it is somewhere I have fished many times before for the pelagics. I was down at Tura head as the sun was rising as I know a nice little place down there where there is a bunch of weed but for some reason I had not thought to fish for them there even though it was around. I picked a bunch of the stringy stuff out of one of the pools and threw it in to see if I could get the fish interested.

I had quite a bit so there was no shortage of berley and after 5-10 minutes I saw dark ones rising all over the place and even right the way up to the surface to attack it. I had my fly rod ready to go with my green weed fly and as soon as I saw them I swung my fly right into the middle of them. There were so many that they were fighting to get at the weed and my weighted fly lasted about 5 seconds in the water before I saw it get taken. The strike indicator went down and I knew I was on nice and solid with my extra sharp fly hook so I struck well and it was on. The fish that was on my line fought harder than I have experienced on my 5wt and it took me some serious effort to turn it around. I got it to my feet and it dove straight down at the rock face and I knew I was in trouble as there is a little undercut and that is exactly where he was heading. I basically had no drag on my reel and was palming it when fighting but I had to let go of my spool as I was only using 6lb tippet and he would have pinged me off given half a chance. It ripped a bit more line out then stayed still (I knew he was under the crevice so I let it stay with no tension) about a minute later it came back out and started swimming away so I let him go for about 10 meters then put a bit of stick on him again. Once again it was on and it was not giving up without a fight. This time though he didn't go back under the ledge it just tried to go along the platform and get me on the cunji off to my left but I managed to turn his head and bring him back toward me. Thankfully there was another fellow there and he very skillfully netted him on the way through with a little rod work from myself. When I looked in the net it was no luderick... I had landed my very first ever drummer. It came in just a whisker under 40cm so I am calling it a very good 39cm. I was pretty darn stoked as I had never had such an amazing fight on the fly gear and was very surprised that my entry level Sage stood up to the beating it was just given. I have a new found respect and admiration for my lovely long wand.

At this stage after all the commotion there were no fish around anymore so I figured I would get the berley going again and once again after several minutes they once again started to rise up but not quite all the way to the surface this time. I once again flicked my fly dead smack into the middle of them again but this time I had to wait a little for it to sink and them again my indicator went down and I struck. Again this thing pulled like a freight train but I seemed to have a bit more control over this one. I picked it for a big luderick as I saw them attacking the weed and after a couple of tense minutes got it to surface and once again saw that it was another drummer! It also did not want to go in the net but I had the better of it after tiring it out for a few minutes. I led it over to the waiting net and landed my second ever drummer. At this point I was pretty knackered and had a nice case of forearm pump so I sat down for a little while to take in what had just happened.

After around 20 minutes I had another go. I once again burleyed up but I think I scared them off as I didn't see any but I flicked my flyt into the burley anyway and let it drift down. It was in for a solid 5 minutes and my strike indicator dips under the waves again. I strike again and come up tight. This time it felt much different. I picked it for a luderick straight away and after a short battle he came up as well. He was only a little fellow at about 30cm so I sent him back on his way. At this point I figured I have a feed, I have had my fun, it is time to go home before the missus wakes up and will want to do stuff so I packed up my gear, gave a big thanks to old mate who netted my fish for me and made my way back to the car with a big smile on my face.

I know it is a long story but I wanted you all to share my experience so thanks for taking the time to read it. Below is a pic of the 2 drummer I took home.

Luc.

post-22055-0-95286600-1400036901_thumb.jpg

Me thinks another fishraider record there my boy !!! well bloody done

Thanks Stewy, I didn't even look there. I might have to put it in I think when I get home and have my computer in front of me. I have to say also... damn they go hard. They had my rod hand in some serious hurt. I think I like them.

Great work mate you have really been smashing the ludrick on the fly and now drummer keep up the great work

cheers sydneyfisher12

Cheers Syd, I most definitely will. Me and my fly rods are going to have a very happy healthy relationship I think. :)

I make them work, they keep me happy.

Edited by Trout Stalker

Well done Luc, a well-deserved fish after outsmarting it that comprehensively.

Cheers Pete. I think it was just lucky that I knew the platform well after having lost a few fish at the same place before from them diving under the ledge and losing many a lure/rig. I was almost expecting it and knew just what to do if it did.

Well done stalker are you still flinging that thing around, my fly rod has had nothing but dust on it since you left ,hope all is well,you had better pack it for the social you never know

Great stuff luc. Good to see you getting more use out of rods than your previous area. 39cm raider record ay??? Me thinks I might go buy an airplane rod! Haha.

Well done champ :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s you'd have more luck landing a hairtail on a fly rod than diesel would on a 12gang hook I've made him. Lol

Cheers mate, I sure am. I have kind of a thing for it now, you might even call it a little love affair hehe. I even bought another one! I will be bringing the 9'er, I will probably be looking to hook a couple of bream and flatties on it during the day when I am not sleeping from the previous evenings shenanigans. You better dust yours off too... I will show you how to catch stuff on it ;).

Great stuff luc. Good to see you getting more use out of rods than your previous area. 39cm raider record ay??? Me thinks I might go buy an airplane rod! Haha.

Well done champ :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s you'd have more luck landing a hairtail on a fly rod than diesel would on a 12gang hook I've made him. Lol

Thanks mate.

I got a good hearty giggle out of that then. I can just imagine that setup... I wonder if it will work for him this year. You might want to make one up for me too after last years performance. Also get yourself one (be warned they aren't cheap though) and we can have our own little comp with you, Simmo, Swordy and myself. Who can catch the biggest/most species. ;)

Thanks mate.

I got a good hearty giggle out of that then. I can just imagine that setup... I wonder if it will work for him this year. You might want to make one up for me too after last years performance. Also get yourself one (be warned they aren't cheap though) and we can have our own little comp with you, Simmo, Swordy and myself. Who can catch the biggest/most species. ;)

That sounds like a plan! Can you use bait on a fly rod??

Good work on the drummer, hard enough to land the bastards on gear heavier than a fly rod.

Cheers Yowie. Tell me about it. I wasn't expecting drummer I was only out for a quick luderick fish. It surprised me too, they fight like king kong. I had heard they go hard but I wasn't expecting that for the size of them. I swear it pushed my 5wt to its limits. I was really thankful to the guy who netted them for me though as there is no way I could have done it by myself. I had 2 hands on the rod the whole time. I swear they fight harder than anything else of the same size, pound for pound they have to be one of the hardest fighters out there.

Great job

Great fish especially on fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, it impressed the hell out of me.

That's awesome mate congratulations. Great write up really enjoyed reading it

Cheers Waz, I like to share the experience.

It was great fun, it has been a while since I have had a fight like that from a fish that size... In fact it is probably the best fight I have had on a fish that size. As for the read, I like reading other folks experiences and when I get the chance to share a good fishing moment I never let it go. It seems right enjoying a moment with other like minded folk. It's just not the same with people who don't fish. They just don't get it hehe.

Guest hawkesbass

Bloody tiddlers wait till you get onto a 3kg plus model on the long wand.

Only joking nice couple of pigs