New heavy(ish) Soft plastics combo

Witha

G'day raiders, So after years of service, I think it's time to retire my 2500 Sienna and 3-5kg Sonic pro. Well...by retire I mean service and use as the dedicated outfit for when the girlfriend comes out with me :P

This gives me the chance to get something really nice to tackle larger species on SP/ use the reel to spin metals etc for salmon this winter.
After recently upgrading my light bream gear to much higher quality kit i really see the difference especially for lure fishing. Had a few ideas / criteria: essentially it would be a Jew rod, and needs to be able to fling 3/8th heads with ruddy great 80-130mm plastics and rip them back to shore. Any preferences on rod rating for chasing Jew / larger speices? It will be either landbased, or from the kayak. So ideally no longer than 7ft. Have always liked the look of the Daiwa gen blacks, but not sure which one would fit the bill :( so open to any and all brands/suggestions. On the reel front; my stable is essentially all shimano, however I'm keen to look at maybe a Daiwa as they seem to have good kit. Went to a tackle shop the other day and felt / compared the Stradics (CI4 and FJ) and the Daiwa td Sol II 3000H. Hate to say it but the Sol felt the better reel in hand...i understand the CI4 for lightness and the stradic FJ for all-round workhorse but keen on some opinions! Thinking the 2500 size would be about right...however the 3000 size appeals too for more line capacity. The 3000 daiwa is slightly bigger than the Shimano 3000 but it definitely felt "positive' in hand. So that's my rant...any info would be appreciated :)

Cheers Raiders

Witha

Hey I think I can offer a bit of advice as I was in your shoes not long ago :)

For a start for jews a 3-5/4-7kg rod would be perfect matched with a 2500 daiwa or a 3000 shimano. A 2500 daiwa is even bigger than a 3000 shimano as in line capacity etc, and a 3000 daiwa is about a 4000 shimano. How much are you willing to spend?

As for the geno blacks, i have 2 and love them! Such a good rod for the price. There is a 3 piece 4-7kg "Black sniper" which would fit the job perfect. However it would be more like a 3-5 kg rod as i have a wicked weasel which is 2-6kg but feels like a 2-4...

I have a certate 2500 for my jewie combo but similar reels that would balance well with the rod would be a new caldia 2500, sustain 3000, ballistic 2500, etc, really comes down to daiwa vs shimano haha. Any way hope that helped and feel free to ask any questions.

I think that the daiwa sol is a great reel and I wish I had the money to buy one it's pretty much my favourite daiwa reel of course behind the saltiga. The rod I want to get for that exact same reason as you a heavy plastic rod is the daiwa gen black supacasta it's 7ft 4 I think but for me it's the perfect rod to match my new daiwa reel

Hope this helps sydneyfisher12

The supercasta is 7ft6 and 5-10kg I use mine for casting poppers/stickbaits as well had heavier metals for kings and big salmon off the stones. Not really a jew plastics rod...

I think that the daiwa sol is a great reel and I wish I had the money to buy one it's pretty much my favourite daiwa reel of course behind the saltiga. The rod I want to get for that exact same reason as you a heavy plastic rod is the daiwa gen black supacasta it's 7ft 4 I think but for me it's the perfect rod to match my new daiwa reel

Hope this helps sydneyfisher12

Thanks mate, yeah loved the look of the sol it's super sexy. Hm 7 ft 4 might be a bit of a handful on the yak! I'll check it out cheers :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hey I think I can offer a bit of advice as I was in your shoes not long ago :) 

For a start for jews a 3-5/4-7kg rod would be perfect matched with a 2500 daiwa or a 3000 shimano. A 2500 daiwa is even bigger than a 3000 shimano as in line capacity etc, and a 3000 daiwa is about a 4000 shimano. How much are you willing to spend? 

As for the geno blacks, i have 2 and love them! Such a good rod for the price. There is a 3 piece 4-7kg "Black sniper" which would fit the job perfect. However it would be more like a 3-5 kg rod as i have a wicked weasel which is 2-6kg but feels like a 2-4... 

I have a certate 2500 for my jewie combo but similar reels that would balance well with the rod would be a new caldia 2500, sustain 3000, ballistic 2500, etc, really comes down to daiwa vs shimano haha. Any way hope that helped and feel free to ask any questions.

That's awesome advice thanks mate! For the reel...hmm probably not going to stretch to a certate In price, so the 300 mark was about the top. That's why I looked at the Sol. Saw the caldia on special as well. of the daiwa reels around that mark would the caldia or sol be better? Also...what do those numbers on the end of daiwa reel numbering mean! Haha. Like 2506, 3012 2004 etc. The 3000 sol also had a 6:1 ratio, kinda like the idea of a high hear ratio, or is that a bit silly.

Also, never had a 3 piece, do they compare to 2 or 1 piece?

Any other suggestions on the 3-5/4-7kg mark? Thanks for the advice mate I'm a world of questions :P

That's awesome advice thanks mate! For the reel...hmm probably not going to stretch to a certate In price, so the 300 mark was about the top. That's why I looked at the Sol. Saw the caldia on special as well. of the daiwa reels around that mark would the caldia or sol be better? Also...what do those numbers on the end of daiwa reel numbering mean! Haha. Like 2506, 3012 2004 etc. The 3000 sol also had a 6:1 ratio, kinda like the idea of a high hear ratio, or is that a bit silly.

2004 is a 2000 with with a shallow spool (same body side)

2506 is a 2500 with a shallow spool but 2506 only has 3kg drag compared to 7kg in a 2500

2508 is a 2500 body with 7kg drag but shallow spool (bit confusing)

3012 is a 3000 body with a shallower spool.

The sol and calida are very similar except for weight (sol is slightly heavier) however sol is a bit stronger/more durable. You could get either a 2508 sol with a 3-5kg rod or if u want a 3000 daiwa u will need a 4-7, 5-10kg rod for balance. Depends if you want the lighter or heavier option depending in the terrain you are fishing i.e. heavier structure would probe go the heavier outfit.

Hope that helps?

2004 is a 2000 with with a shallow spool (same body side)

2506 is a 2500 with a shallow spool but 2506 only has 3kg drag compared to 7kg in a 2500 

2508 is a 2500 body with 7kg drag but shallow spool (bit confusing)

3012 is a 3000 body with a shallower spool. 

The sol and calida are very similar except for weight (sol is slightly heavier) however sol is a bit stronger/more durable. You could get either a 2508 sol with a 3-5kg rod or if u want a 3000 daiwa u will need a 4-7, 5-10kg rod for balance. Depends if you want the lighter or heavier option depending in the terrain you are fishing i.e. heavier structure would probe go the heavier outfit. 

Hope that helps?

Very helpful thanks that is a confusing system but I do like the variety. Any reason you would go the shallow spool 2508 rather than the 2500?

Very helpful thanks that is a confusing system but I do like the variety. Any reason you would go the shallow spool 2508 rather than the 2500?

Yeh its weird id always want more line but some people don't want backing as it adds a few grams, so therefore the 2508 would be a little lighter

Yeh its weird id always want more line but some people don't want backing as it adds a few grams, so therefore the 2508 would be a little lighter 

Yeah I've always been of the "more line" persuasion, and I also have a thing for wanting less backing haha. Leads me to buy big spools of braid to fill the thing completely. Then when it gets a little under spooled over time I add backing. Think the reel question is sorted I'll just go have a sticky beak to see what they feel like in hand. The rod is still up in the air though :(

Thanks for the time and detailed responses mate much appreciated.

Thanks mate checking them out too. Got the 6-8kg 701 snapper and it's a beast but not quite the right style for flickin sps, was also looking at shimano Mexican fire raider rods, and Samaki zing Rods if anyone's used em. Cheers

Hi Witha,

I have a sol 3000 and a Caldia 3000 & prefer the sol but that's just me. I run these on a pair of Nitro rods. One is a 7'6" 4-6kg Magnum Butt & the other is a 7' 6-8kg Viper & both are magnificent set ups for chasing anything from bonito to big kingys & jews.. Neither has ever let me down. If you wanted something lighter than the Viper but shorterthan the Mag Butt there is always the 7' Baby Viper rated at 3-6kg

Kingys

Hi Witha,

I have a sol 3000 and a Caldia 3000 & prefer the sol but that's just me. I run these on a pair of Nitro rods. One is a 7'6" 4-6kg Magnum Butt & the other is a 7' 6-8kg Viper & both are magnificent set ups for chasing anything from bonito to big kingys & jews.. Neither has ever let me down. If you wanted something lighter than the Viper but shorterthan the Mag Butt there is always the 7' Baby Viper rated at 3-6kg

Kingys

Awesome thanks mate, yeah I've been looking at the nitro voodoo as I've got a 1-3kg nitro for bream and love it. Think the voodoo was 6 ft 6 3-5kg. Hmm. Do I look at 7 footer or shorter. Just thinking of the kayak.

What's the difference in the sol and caldia you reckon? Either the sol or an imported luvias I think.

Just get a rod that will clear ther nose of your yak so it realy depends how long the yak is

Very true mate, it's a pretty long yak so I'll have to go test it with my 7ft catana and my 66 rods, see where the mark is :)

Nitro Baby Viper.

Thanks mate, love the nitro, maybe this will be more of a saving exercise than I thought haha they don't come too cheap

Yeah dropped into a store today and did the same sort of testing, made me anxious...but at least I got to feel the taper. Would love a baby Viper or voodoo but one rod that really caught me today as a ballsy nice feeling rod was the Samaki zing extreme. 701 3-6kg. So I guess if I can't afford the 330 for a Viper that's an alternative. Cannot beat the nitro warranty though! Love the knowledge that even if I bugger it up its a quarter of the price to fix

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, Nitro magnum butt is one amazing rod, match up with a good spinning reel in the 3000-5000 size. This outfit will catch jewies, kings, longtail all day :) The magnum butt just has such a great action and Nitro $79 lifetime replacement warranty is unbeatable, dog eat your rod? No problem, $79

Oooh, Nitro magnum butt is one amazing rod, match up with a good spinning reel in the 3000-5000 size. This outfit will catch jewies, kings, longtail all day :) The magnum butt just has such a great action and Nitro $79 lifetime replacement warranty is unbeatable, dog eat your rod? No problem, $79

Gotta love that warranty! I have the nitro ultralight spin for breaming and it's such a piece of mind to know I can just send it in now matter what stupid stuff I've done to it!

I would suggest a Gen black Wild Weasal 6"10 2-6kg

It will man handle any Estuary jew from the Yak. Most yak or boat jew addicts i know wont go over 6kg because of the loss of sensation in the tip on heavier outfits. From land it will handle most jew unless of course your off a breakwall where really you need a whole other outfit.

It is under 7ft perfect for the Yak covers your desired lure weights and is damn light.

Ive said it once ill say it again the gen blacks are so popular at the moment because they are a 250-300 dollar rod priced at 150.

In terms of reels:

Expensive: (If your using stellas in a yak your a brave man... or wealthy man :) )

Stella FE and go 2500 that is more then enough line and it pumps out 10kg drag which is as much as some 4000 size reels. cost 699

Value:

Symetre 3000 the extra 2 kilo drag from the 2500 model is worth a little extra weight cost $129

Budget:

Sedona 2500 very similar to the symetre without a few bells and whistles cost $89 ( and slightly cheaper )

Experimental:

These days i use Chinese OEM reels in my tournament and rec fishing. It is a manufacturer who has started to make reels under their own brand at a quality standard similar to Daiwa Shimano etc Teben is their brand and at the moment you will find very little information on the internet on them. Essentially using the power of chinese copyright laws ( or lack of ) :chair: They get Shimano and Daiwa reels from say 12 months ago and copy them from head to toe, they then import japanese washers bearings and all the 'important' parts and wollah you have a stradic clone that cost you $50 or a Stella Sw20000 that cost you $300. You can pm me for details if you want, im still very new to using them and am still very uneasy in suggesting them because fisherman are very unwilling to use untested product.

Obviously with these warranty dont even think about it and spare parts impossible. BUT my little stradic and stella clones id put them up against the originals anyday.

Goodluck in your rod and reel hunting sometimes i enjoy it as much as the fishing !!

I would suggest a Gen black Wild Weasal 6"10 2-6kg

It will man handle any Estuary jew from the Yak. Most yak or boat jew addicts i know wont go over 6kg because of the loss of sensation in the tip on heavier outfits. From land it will handle most jew unless of course your off a breakwall where really you need a whole other outfit.

It is under 7ft perfect for the Yak covers your desired lure weights and is damn light.

Ive said it once ill say it again the gen blacks are so popular at the moment because they are a 250-300 dollar rod priced at 150.

In terms of reels:

Expensive: (If your using stellas in a yak your a brave man... or wealthy man :) )

Stella FE and go 2500 that is more then enough line and it pumps out 10kg drag which is as much as some 4000 size reels. cost 699

Value:

Symetre 3000 the extra 2 kilo drag from the 2500 model is worth a little extra weight cost $129

Budget:

Sedona 2500 very similar to the symetre without a few bells and whistles cost $89 ( and slightly cheaper )

Experimental:

These days i use Chinese OEM reels in my tournament and rec fishing. It is a manufacturer who has started to make reels under their own brand at a quality standard similar to Daiwa Shimano etc Teben is their brand and at the moment you will find very little information on the internet on them. Essentially using the power of chinese copyright laws ( or lack of ) :chair: They get Shimano and Daiwa reels from say 12 months ago and copy them from head to toe, they then import japanese washers bearings and all the 'important' parts and wollah you have a stradic clone that cost you $50 or a Stella Sw20000 that cost you $300. You can pm me for details if you want, im still very new to using them and am still very uneasy in suggesting them because fisherman are very unwilling to use untested product.

Obviously with these warranty dont even think about it and spare parts impossible. BUT my little stradic and stella clones id put them up against the originals anyday.

Goodluck in your rod and reel hunting sometimes i enjoy it as much as the fishing !!

Grab the Stella FE's while you can, got myself one and they have dropped in price significantly since the recent FI model, well under $600 I've seen them. A lot to spend on a little reel but it's a Stella right?