Fun with lures - soap and tiddlers

Just a quick update guys. Hit the usual spots (Harbour and Georges) for the usual species this past month in between rain and sunny days.

Got a few decent bream, best one at 37cm (and missed a heap) on some Z mans (motor oil, bloodworm and gudgeon) worked slowly through the water column. Always good fun but would have been good to convert a few more. I know I might get some stick for saying this lol but I've been missing using my sienna (which started to seize but after opening it up and oiling everything, it seemed to fix it) but went with the sustain this time around so it was a bit of an effort adjusting to the retrieve speed.

post-25384-0-77538300-1402492140_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-38605700-1402492198_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-06239300-1402492211_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-13394400-1402492286_thumb.jpg

Managed to feed the addiction and withdrawal symptoms :banana: with a small jewfish double hopping a plastic (squidgie fish) during a tide change. Felt the tiniest of taps, set the hook and played it out. After one good run and a short tussle, I was able to coax it to the bank. Due to the subtleness of the tap, I was surprised to see the jighead embeded in the jaw cavity rather than the lip. Interesting.

post-25384-0-25800700-1402492067_thumb.jpg

Also got an uncommon catch in the form of a decent whiting that went harder I expected. That's the second elbow slapper I've got on such large lures. There must be something with large fish-type lures and monster whiting...

post-25384-0-28466600-1402492269_thumb.jpg

After the seeing what went down at the social, I decided to try my hand at flyfishing. Although I was busy taking a group, some of the quality flyfishing demos must have rubbed off on me. Got myself the cheapest combo I could find, rigged it up and went down to the nearest shallow shore/flat and managed to entice a tiddler of a breambo. I couldn't tell you what fly it was because I'm totally new to this, but it was some mosquito-like floating fly coloured in mostly black, white and grey. I was doing figure of eights and I saw the smash on the surface where my fly was. It felt weird but satisfying holding the rod in one hand as leverage and using the other to strip in the thumping breambo. Pretty happy to tick this box off, I can see it becoming addictive in the summer as the surface action heats up (unless I use sinking flies I guess haha).

post-25384-0-88888700-1402492332_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-15541900-1402492358_thumb.jpg

Besides from those fish, the usual flathead were landed but not to any size and a trevally on plastics. Managed about half a dozen pinkies on blades but no size to them. So that's the wrap up.

Thinking of trying the Cooks River to try and raise a few bream in the coming weeks. Anyone that's interested is welcome to come along or tee up something. Till next time!

Edited by nbdshroom

Awesome work mate that's a great spread. Go the mighty sienna! I've got the sustain as well and that fast retrieve does take getting used to!

Had a big whiting take the same squidgy fish too couple of weeks back. Might be a theory there.

Very swish work on the fly mate can see that being deadly for surface action. Cooks is my local would love to come out if you're around :)

You make the Jews looks so easy haha.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Witha, on 12 Jun 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

Awesome work mate that's a great spread. Go the mighty sienna! I've got the sustain as well and that fast retrieve does take getting used to!

Had a big whiting take the same squidgy fish too couple of weeks back. Might be a theory there.

Very swish work on the fly mate can see that being deadly for surface action. Cooks is my local would love to come out if you're around :)

You make the Jews looks so easy haha.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks Witha, I got lucky with a couple of those fish. Yeah, that's the second big whiting on such lures, this one 41 cm. Haha, I would say I struggle on the jews. I dropped my first two (making every mistake in the book) and it was months of trying before I finally officially cracked the first fish code. You've come in leaps and bounds and now you can enjoy the journey. Will definitely tee something up soon.

thefisherman6784, on 12 Jun 2014 - 6:41 PM, said:

Great report and great fish mate

U got some stonker fish

Bream, a nice jewwy and a monster whiting

And well done for your first fish on fly

Well done

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot, I hope you achieve your goal of landing one for yourself very soon.

W4z, on 12 Jun 2014 - 7:23 PM, said:

Some good fish there and congrats on the first on fly. I'm also chasing my first fish on fly so should be fun. Hope to see some more fly reports!

Cheers W4z, I was quite surprised myself considering the season we are in as to take one off the surface. I was actually hoping for mullet, tailor or flathead to be the first fish I would entice. Good luck in your quest! Edited by nbdshroom

You got some good fish there! Nice to see a bream taking a dry fly. Wet flies (a range of different patterns) work well in estuaries as well. I think it's neater and preferable to wind up the slack line after a hook up and reel the fish in, rather than strip it in which can leave you with an untidy mess on the shore.

• 1 month later...

hey Shroom,

Congrats on all the species you caught. I didn't know SPs could catch so many different types of fish. Still putting all you taught me to practice, but I've yet to crack a bream. One question what size jighead and plastic do you use for bream. I assume they're smaller than flatties.

cheers

Richard

inspiring! i need to shake this 2 week old cold and catch some fish!

Yep, it's been doing the rounds around here and I've been down with a cold too for too long.

hey Shroom,

Congrats on all the species you caught. I didn't know SPs could catch so many different types of fish. Still putting all you taught me to practice, but I've yet to crack a bream. One question what size jighead and plastic do you use for bream. I assume they're smaller than flatties.

cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard, most species take lures in one form or another. I use size 1/2/4 hooks on ca. 1/16oz with small lures (~2/2.5 inch) such as Grubz.

Edited by nbdshroom

• 2 months later...

Great work as usual Pete and apologies for the late reply.

That sure is a nice haul of quality fish.

Very well done and looking forward to your next reports.

Keep up the tremendous work mate and thanks for sharing.

All the best

Ian