Heavy leader knots

Hi guys,

I have been using a knot for heavy flurocarbon to a swivel taught to me by my dad when I was a kid.

Don't know what it was called or what the actual knot strength is but its the only knot I know that can be tied in 60lb plus line.

Can other raiders please let me know hat knots they use of do you use crimps?

Cheers

Jim

Hi,

Similar to a uniknot but two loops rather than 1 and only twice throughout the two loops rather that the 4 I use for a uni knot.

It seems to work well with the stiff line.

Knowing your experience in game fishing I will revert to the uniknot and let you know how I go.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

What application are you using this for and what species

I often fish alone midweek in the harbour particularly around the various markers for kings.

I often encounter larger specimens and these can be a little difficult to handle if the hookup is close to the marker and you don't have a mate to drive you away from the structure.

I overcome this to some extent by setting a second spot lock in my I-pilot about 30 meters off the marker and when I hook up I let the I-Pilot take me back to that point. This is only an option of there are no other boats around.

So, when I fish alone I used a rig with 20kg braid attached to a swivel and a short fluorocarbon leader of about 60 lb. I find the fluro carbon to be very stiff and difficult to tie knots in. The heavier rig lets me give them a fair bit of stick and keep them off the structure which is my response to being busted off so many times last summer on 10kg plus kings.

This is an entirely different approach to the season before when I caught so many more kings on much lighter line but then I nearly always has a mate with me. I actually prefer the lighter line approach but it is definitely harder when you are alone.

Cheers

Jim

Hi guys,

I have been using a knot for heavy flurocarbon to a swivel taught to me by my dad when I was a kid.

Don't know what it was called or what the actual knot strength is but its the only knot I know that can be tied in 60lb plus line.

Can other raiders please let me know hat knots they use of do you use crimps?

Cheers

Jim

Hi mate. I've mucked around and tested knots a hell of a lot on proper scales. I've come to the conclusion that heavy fluorocarbon will give you low knot strength as its too stiff and brittle and I don't use it. I only use it up to 12lb. 60lb+ being so thick I doubt its gonna be any less visible than plain mono leader anyway.

Anyway, for heavy line I found a modified half blood knot to be very good. 2 turns through the eye, 4 or 5 turns around and the end put through both loops of the first 2 turns. I've tied this no problem in line up to 150lb of leader material.