HELP! Any advice for a keen amateur fisho in the Hawkesbury area

timmy180883

Hi,

I have been fishing a lot near Patonga on the Hawkesbury using pilchards and prawns ( and sometimes soft plastics) but haven't had much luck lately, I have recently brought a 60hp 460 coast runner this week and I am keen to get some advice on some good fishing spots, good times to fish and also bait to use. I usually put a boat in at Mooney Mooney.

Thanks for your help

Tim.

you need a packet of Hawkesbury river prawns , raw chicken strips that are not too thick marinated with grated parmesan cheese, fresh skirt steak thin strips , fresh mullet fillets cut into strips, and Burley and not just any burley , for a long fishing session you need to soak 4 kilos of wheat the night before and use it all day long a little at the time, try fishing around Dangar island, looking forward to your results .

Here are 4 photos of the spot

9avarupe.jpg

emy7y6eq.jpg

unaze6y2.jpg

juna9ava.jpg

Photos aren't very good but sydfisher is very good with this app and doing what I tried to do so hopefully sydfisher can see this and make it better and clearer photos than me

Hope this helps and good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had some luck with flathead drifting along the front of Little Wobby, and have caught some good bream off the south eastern point of Spectacle Island, though i'm only learning myself so can't give you tried and tested tips! I've just started fishing that area, and am hoping to pick up a boat myself shortly.

When fishing soft plastics around Brooklyn, what size jigheads do people use? Everyone says to always fish as light as possible, but with the deep waters and fast tides around there, I struggle knowing what size jighead to use. I'm never confident that my lures are actually working the bottom. I always feel as if they're just floating in the current as I retrieve.

Would also like to know typically what tides are best to fish in for the Brooklyn area (am targeting bream and flathead).

Try drifting from the opening of Moony Moony between the red marker and the oyster leasers,.drifting down river on the in coming tide.The water is only about 1 to 2 mtrs deep depending on the tide.

I have been using hawkesbury prawns and pillies with some success, flatties up to 50cm over last couple of weeks.

Also try Pumpkin Point drifting from the point to the red marker to the south.The water goes from 6mts to about 1mt deep.Good flatties on the drift or anchor near the drop off for bream.

Good luck let me know how you go,the water''s getting a bit cold now 13 deg on the week end.

cheers

MickyA62.

Try drifting from the opening of Moony Moony between the red marker and the oyster leasers,.drifting down river on the in coming tide.The water is only about 1 to 2 mtrs deep depending on the tide.

I have been using hawkesbury prawns and pillies with some success, flatties up to 50cm over last couple of weeks.

Also try Pumpkin Point drifting from the point to the red marker to the south.The water goes from 6mts to about 1mt deep.Good flatties on the drift or anchor near the drop off for bream.

Good luck let me know how you go,the water''s getting a bit cold now 13 deg on the week end.

cheers

MickyA62.

But the drift in the hawkesbury is very strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi timmy180883,

I'm an amateur like yourself & like you I've recently got a boat and been in the haweksbury few times. One area I've had success almost every visit is south east of danger island in between two red markers. I've caught flatties, bream to small snapper. As mentioned by few members earlier haweksbury prawns and pilchards have worked the best for me too. Your right about the current being very strong at times so when its that phase of the tide I move on to somewhere bit calmer.

One annoying thing about haweksbury is the amount of cat fish and eels you get after sunset!!!

Good luck

Nans

Edited by nanman

Hi Timmy, Patonga is one of my favourite spots, it has so many opportunities. The creek can be great, just before and after the high tide. There are oyster leases further down the creek, or at least there used to be. Ideal spot for soft plastics. Many sandflats good for flathead with some deep holes. A fantastic creek, you just need to spend some time exploring. Have fun.

Steve

Catch your own bait, fresh squid along the weed beds at palm beach and yakkas at west head, drift around the old rail bridge when the tide is slack, usually always produces jewies and flathead for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for all your replays, I went fishing with a mate last week and caught a 40cm flat head at the canal near mooney mooney using soft plastics, also a good spot was at patonga, flicked a soft 3d prawn at the were the beach and rocks meet and got a big tailor, then we fished near the rocks at patonga, the bottom goes from 8m to 12m I used some tailor fillets as bait and we caught a massive bream, good to see the hawkesbury still have lots of fish, thanks for all your replies much appreciated