Season for targeted species

Holls

I'm new to the region and looking for a guide as to what saltwater species can be caught at different times of the year in NSW.

Online I found Tackleworld's list of 'best times', but it seems wrong in places. eg it says Salmon (at Wollongong) best time is Spring Summer and Autumn? But here in fishraider most people say the opposite - Winter?? Need a good guide to fish times. Any ideas?

Salmon are winter

They will come in the harbour in huge schools and are so fun on light gear

But beware, sometimes when there feeding on eye, a tiny baitfish, that's all they will eat and you can only get them on a fly imitation of the eye baitfish

Not that you won't catch them but it can get very frustrating

Anymore info, just ask or watch the video me and sydfisher uploaded on our YouTube channel called SydneyFishingTV and you will see the salmon video

I think episode 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks thefisherman, yes I have already seen your video! That Tackleworld season chart for Wollongong is all up the creek. Luderick in Autumn and Summer, Jewfish in Spring and Summer, Tailor in Summer, Salmon in Spring, summer and autumn....

That's weird

I know you said up the creek but for me

Luderick more of a winter fish

Jewfish colder time of year

Tailor all round but sometimes come and go in big schools

Salmon in winter but it seems that up the Wollongong creeks it's a lot different

Anything else just ask

Cheers thefisherman6784

That's weird

I know you said up the creek but for me

Luderick more of a winter fish

Jewfish colder time of year

Tailor all round but sometimes come and go in big schools

Salmon in winter but it seems that up the Wollongong creeks it's a lot different

Anything else just ask

Cheers thefisherman6784

Jewfish are predominantly a summer fish mate

If you think luderick are a winter only think again they are all year round at their best from late September through till early June and depends on where you target them ie the Georges in summer is full of littlies yet Sydney harbour holds some cracking fish and the ocean rocks come to the forefront in spring. Really your worst months for luderick are late July August you will stil get them around Sydney but not in the big numbers you find at other times

I'm taking notes! Although it seems there are as many ideas about seasons as there are fish in the ocean! In Vic some species have peak seasons - snapper start around november in Port Phillip Bay, other fish like garfish are running at particular times.

If you think luderick are a winter only think again they are all year round at their best from late September through till early June and depends on where you target them ie the Georges in summer is full of littlies yet Sydney harbour holds some cracking fish and the ocean rocks come to the forefront in spring. Really your worst months for luderick are late July August you will stil get them around Sydney but not in the big numbers you find at other times

Thanks for that mate

It's just I was talking to another keen fisherman that like chasing luderick and said he has better luck in the colder months

I was wrong again and learnt something new

Thanks for that

Hi Holls,

Most of the bread and butter fish in Sydney are all year round (Bream, whiting, flathead, snapper, Aussie Salmon, kingfish, blackfish, drummer, trevally) but I think the weather has an affect on the fisherman as well as the fish. For example, I catch blackfish (luderick) all year round but I would rather be spending my time chasing the pelagics in summer and hearing that line scream rather than the relatively small blackfish. So for me blackfish becomes a winter fish. If I spend more time chasing them I catch more thus I could argue that winter is better.

I have been seeing big schools of salmon around the Manly area in the last few weeks and have hooked a couple but I have more fun chasing them in summer when the water warms up, the baitfish are around and it is a pleasure heading out on the kayaks for the day.

I get more fun catching the pelagics than the jewfish. So even though I have caught jewfish at all times of the year I only target them in the April/May/June period when it gets cold. I put some big baits out and sit in the warm car and wait for a take.

The bigger kings seem to stay in the harbour year round but in November and December (depending on water temperature) we start to see the schools of smaller (and dumber) kings.

There are a few fish species which turn up specifically in Summer. The baitfish start to turn up in numbers late November and early December and are followed by the big schools of fish. About January is when fish such as the bonito seem to turn up in the harbour. I prefer targeting fish with lures in the summer as the harbour really wakes up and everything seems to be eating everything else.

There are also species such as Hairtail which are considered a winter fish.

Just get out there and fish and you'll be surprised what you get. Good luck.

Edited by DerekD

Thanks very much Derek! That's a comprehensive report and gives me a good idea what to expect. On the 4th August we take possession of our new Kings Point house (near Ulladulla) and really looking forward to learning the ways of south coast fish. No doubt Sydney Harbour reaps a slightly different take but looking forward to reporting my progress down around Burrill Lake. Thanks again!

Salmon during the suggested times by Tackleworld of Spring Summer and Autumn, you'll find you will be able to hook up easier than you would in Winter due to the frantic feeding times during the warmer months so they suggest you target them during those months. Winter for Wollongong targeting Salmon is more a sit on the beach freeze your butt off for a few hits here and there, slow going but less traffic congestion.

So basically the Tackleworld suggestion tries to increase your hit rate on the target species and not a indication of when they are available.

Jewfish are predominantly a summer fish mate

Wrong more people fish in summer hence the misconception. My records suggest otherwise and you only have to look at recent data released by fisheries showing Autumn, Spring, Winter, Summer in that order.

Summer AutumnXX Spring umm... I keep crossing out my notes :mellow: Maybe I should just get out there and fish.

Great idea holls. There are different seasons for different fish but there are so many variables. It's more about knowing your area and what you are targeting.

So get out there and explore and I look forward to reading your fishing posts.

Cheers scratchie!!!

G'day Holls, lots of good info from DerekD and Scratchie. Most fish move about ,even within a given area, in search of food and safety...so things are changing all the time. Certainly Salmon and tailor can be caught in different areas, pretty much any time of the year. I wouldn't worry TOO much about statistical information, just get out there on the water and have fun. Every fish caught is a good experience. Once you've been in your new area for more than a year you will have a depth of knowledge that will enable you to catch lots of fish. Good luck with the new house too and keep us all posted. Neil

• 3 years later...
11 hours ago, JewCraze said:

So, where do Jewfish go in winter? Do they go out into deeper water or do they migrate up north?

All my best jew fishing was from Sydney beaches through winter.