bluefin arrive off sydney

Andy_c

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roughly how far out Damo , I got a 7m trail craft with a 250 litre tank , just wondering are they reachable in my boat.

There were fish yesterday on Browns, the marks where they were catching them for us were 75km out from Port Hacking, southern Canyons also fired in the afternoon.

There were a few boats out amongst the action yesterday smaller than yours, I'm not even going to comment on the tinny we saw out there.

But there are a few things you haven't mentioned, and I am going to put out here.

What outboard have you got? 4 stroke of an ETEC as if your running a normal 2 stroke, then 250l of fuel.....?

There was a guy last year got a bollocking on this forum for getting out to Browns and having to ask around for fuel. I know one boat was towed in last night by another fisho.

Know your fuel burn!!!

Importantly....monitor your fuel use age and particularly how much you have left. It is a really good habit, to calculate how much fuel you need left to run back in, in the worse conditions, adda buffer and stick to it.

Ensure your radio works, and log on...also be comfortable with its performance boat to boat. Dual watch 16 and 21.

Check all your safety gear and have it out.

Personally I carry a ditch bag, it sits up in the cockpit, it's bright yellow, it floats, I ensure everyone on board knows what it is and where it is.

What's in it? My EPIRB (water activated GPS) flares, whistle, air horn, V distress sheet.

I bring all the life jackets required up onto the cockpit before we head out.

I point out all fire extingusihers.

If this is your first run out that far, have an experienced crew with you if you can

Try and buddy up with another boat.

Listen to the radio chatter, and head towards the more populated areas, at least there is help close by if you need it.

Mostly though know your fuel burn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey isofish.. Yes what Ian says is pretty spot on. I have a 6 metre Trailcraft with a 150 Optimax and if I steam out to the shelf then troll all day and steam home doing a 12 hour day we average about 12 litres per hour. The trailcrafts have great range with 250 litre tanks. The fish around browns were yellowfin & the bluefin were wider by 15 or so miles. Good luck if you get out.

Cheers

Damo

Hey damo do you think they will hang around till next week

Should do Magnus we have plenty of good water heading our way. The past 2 seasons they have generally hung around for 3-4 weeks. We caught fish last year then had 3 weeks of terrible weather & when we got out we still caught them. Whereas the year before we had a good 3 weeks at them. But of course it's hard to predict.. they thought they were in for a bumper season down south but the fish have been out over 120 miles for weeks but I believe there were a few around the last couple of days.

Cheers

Damo

that was me on asalt weapon damo,we landed just one lost the other at the boat.but would have to thank side show for the first marks we were just lucky to find the school again out at 151.54

cheers luke.

Thanks Luke.. will keep our eye out for you guys. Keep in touch on the radio if your out.

Cheers

Damo

Thanks damo hooked onto one yesterday but lost it at the boat managed a few albies but as i said earlier in the the day we had them 3 nautical miles east of heatons jumping 4 foot out the water smashing bait but could not keep up to them anyway cheers for that be out again Monday and hopefully one day I will leave my boat at home get on reef magic

Edited by mangus37

Thanks boys for the info , I've got an 200hp etec on the back, we went out to the southern canyons last year and we had no drama, I just wasn't to sure if they were out further than that. We are hopefully planing to go out on Monday , good luck to the boats who get out before then and hopefully I see a few of you Monday!

yeah Monday and Tuesday looks good, I will try to get on Monday or Tuesday.

Will keep an ear out.

I must say that it is finally great to see after so many years that fishos are working together on the water like I heard everyone was yesterday instead of leading people deliberately astray or nothing at all. I've been led astray by some selfish fishos twice and now stay cautious as it costs a lot of fuel when you travel miles to find that there is not one boat around.

Fins become easier to catch if we all group up as there is obvious abundance of food for them to stay when cubing from 30 boats instead of one.

Teamwork is the best. Something for fishos to ponder.

Wow , these reports sound insane, if the weather doesn't hold out for the weekend, then I'll join all you guys heading out on Monday. Call sign is Black Marlin on the 685. Happy to share any info I can. Good Luck to all <{{{{~{

I know Dave has been given many thanks for his Coordinates, and I thanked him under my other sign in.

The three of us on my boat, discussed this on Tuesday.

And all felt, that having that number of boats working that area, probably helped to keep the fish around, as we couldn't see any great reason for the fish to be around and hitting surface lures. There was no birds working, no sign of anything.

Boats were heading to the area and hooking up quickly. There was a number of fish being fought at the same time over a reasonably large area. The biggest fish attractor out there is the boat. So with that quantity trolling around it kept that school there.

Just a thought for all of us on sharing marks in that situation, Tuesday in my mind proved that sharing the marks was only a benefit.

The only thing that I would say, is when you head out to marks, be considerate of everyone else and particularly boats that are hooked up, they can't move out of your way when trolling, and with 200-500m of line out if that fish comes up and out diagonally a bit more clearance is required.

I heard several calls from boats asking others to change course because of this situation. Then when we were hooked up I had to radio to at least 3 boats to change course, one boat several times......and they were getting very close to us.

If we can maintain that respect, then I believe we can foster the sharing of marks.

I have a 5.0 fiber glass with 115 Mercury 4s,

Should i try browns or too dangerous,

Never went pass Botany bay head

Please recommend

Look at my earlier post.

And honestly if you have never been past the heads, I suggest you work up to it.partner with someone experienced. And honestly check all your safety gear, check your navigation gear etc, make sure you have redundancy.

Ask on here to partner with another boat, ask for someone experienced to run out with you, or ask if you can jump on someone's boat.

What's redundancy? More than one navigation tool.

It can be very disconcerting the first time you can't see land, and very disorientating.

Tuesday was a reasonably calm day, however it was overcast, and I found the view of Australia dissapeared a bit quicker than normal.

Be aware you are going to lose phone coverage, so you are relying on your VHF.

And if you get caught longer than planned as we did, hooked into a fish for over 2.5 hours meant we were leaving out there on dusk and had to run in in the dark. The plan was to be back by 5.

I ran it twice last year so was not concerned, I had two very experienced partners on board. We had good radio connection to SMR. We had the Lowrance, IPad with Navionics, 2 x IPhones with Navionics and a compass.

Oh and take a Kwell, don't be a hero, better to have a dry mouth all day, rather than finding your struggling to think

Edited by Ian Bat

I personally think 5meters is too small.

5 m boat is doable if the weather stays under 5/8 knots especially anything from the west . If it picks up over 15 knots it will take u at least 2 hours min to get back . If u get a unexpected westerly blowing over 20 to 25 knots which happens quite often and things will get really ugly for you over 30 knots and you can probably be expecting to call marine resue. Or worse !!

Remember tuna fishing is not like marlin fishing where most of ur time is spent just inside the shelf , you go to browns then often keep going ! I Have fished browns in a 5 m boat but am much more comfortable in a 6.5 m and up boat .

I was out tues, one the unlucky ones. Saw many, many people hooked up and even saw a few hookups happen right in front of us.

Out of curiosity did anyone notice the bayliner type boat with he light grey hull?... They were hooked up for ages but I was glassing him and he wasn't getting the slightest bend in the rod... None of the boys could figure out what the **** was going on...

Start small, fish the Peak, the FADs when they go out. Get some time up in a bigger swell than you are used to.

Remember as said by the PP, you can go out with no wind and the sea glassed out, it doesn't mean it is going to stay that way.

The BOM has a disclaimer, winds may be up to 40% stronger than forecast. I know personally I have been caught with winds over that, and also forecast for it to blow up late afternoon, and had it come through mid morning.

The 3 boats I fish with, all of us have had to do a long slow run back even from the FADs.

I was out tues, one the unlucky ones. Saw many, many people hooked up and even saw a few hookups happen right in front of us.

Out of curiosity did anyone notice the bayliner type boat with he light grey hull?... They were hooked up for ages but I was glassing him and he wasn't getting the slightest bend in the rod... None of the boys could figure out what the **** was going on...

Ye, we saw him too. Heard they lost the fish after a 3 hour fight.