bluefin arrive off sydney

Andy_c

3hours? What are the using, 6 kilo and a dead boat?

Ok, I'm putting my hand up here to ask a question.

We had a 4 way hit with one holding at 2.25pm. We unfortunately popped the leader at 5.10pm.

We had that fish on 24kg, after 15 mins we had it a ate back of the boat, it was a big fish, then it dove. We had it up and it dove straight down 5 or 6 times. On a few of those the drag was locked right up.

We got it to the boat again around 5 almost had the double in reach, and it dove straight down, the drag was on sunset, again we could hear the strain in the line just off breaking, we saw the bare spool coming up, and he stopped not far before it, we just started to lift him backup, and the leader popped.

Every time that fished dived he could not be stopped. The power was unbelievable. We pulled him up with the boat, we put pressure on him with the boat, every time we got him back up quickly, thinking if he dived again and surfaced again, he would have to kill himself, but no he kept going.

There was an article in the fishingworld newsletter yesterday, Chris Cleaver caught one out there on Wednesday, it was 120kg, that was on 80lb Braid and took 3 hours.

So I'm learning with the boat driving, is there some techniques I need to know or missed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out tues, one the unlucky ones. Saw many, many people hooked up and even saw a few hookups happen right in front of us.

Out of curiosity did anyone notice the bayliner type boat with he light grey hull?... They were hooked up for ages but I was glassing him and he wasn't getting the slightest bend in the rod... None of the boys could figure out what the **** was going on...

Ok, we can help you out here. I was fishing with Ian Bat and we were the boat hooked up for over 2 1/2 hours. The reason the rod didn't look bent is because I had to put the 24kg reel on my old Brookfield 60k broomstick that bends like a crowbar and kills at both ends. Of all the outfits to stay connected after our 4 way pack-attack this was the one we didn't want. Anyway, this fish was freaking huge. Like Ian said we saw it 5 times and after over 2 hours it headed straight down with the drag on sunset and showing no signs of tiring. I have no idea how I wasn't spooled. We tried a lot of things to get close enough to gaff it, the fish was having none of it. We learnt a lot though.

Good luck to those heading out over the weekend. We will give it another go sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Ok, we can help you out here. I was fishing with Ian Bat and we were the boat hooked up for over 2 1/2 hours. The reason the rod didn't look bent is because I had to put the 24kg reel on my old Brookfield 60k broomstick that bends like a crowbar and kills at both ends. Of all the outfits to stay connected after our 4 way pack-attack this was the one we didn't want. Anyway, this fish was freaking huge. Like Ian said we saw it 5 times and after over 2 hours it headed straight down with the drag on sunset and showing no signs of tiring. I have no idea how I wasn't spooled. We tried a lot of things to get close enough to gaff it, the fish was having none of it. We learnt a lot though.

Good luck to those heading out over the weekend. We will give it another go sometime in the next couple of weeks.

What would you estimate the size to be?

My suggestion without being there is not fishing straight up and down over the fish, pulling it at right angles. Drive away and get some angle on the fish.

If your 24 is crackling off the spool you cannot do much more.

Shame you guys didn't get it, sounds like a great fish.

Ok, I'm putting my hand up here to ask a question.

We had a 4 way hit with one holding at 2.25pm. We unfortunately popped the leader at 5.10pm.

We had that fish on 24kg, after 15 mins we had it a ate back of the boat, it was a big fish, then it dove. We had it up and it dove straight down 5 or 6 times. On a few of those the drag was locked right up.

We got it to the boat again around 5 almost had the double in reach, and it dove straight down, the drag was on sunset, again we could hear the strain in the line just off breaking, we saw the bare spool coming up, and he stopped not far before it, we just started to lift him backup, and the leader popped.

Every time that fished dived he could not be stopped. The power was unbelievable. We pulled him up with the boat, we put pressure on him with the boat, every time we got him back up quickly, thinking if he dived again and surfaced again, he would have to kill himself, but no he kept going.

There was an article in the fishingworld newsletter yesterday, Chris Cleaver caught one out there on Wednesday, it was 120kg, that was on 80lb Braid and took 3 hours.

So I'm learning with the boat driving, is there some techniques I need to know or missed?

It's simple mate ... We need a bigger boat!

My suggestion without being there is not fishing straight up and down over the fish, pulling it at right angles. Drive away and get some angle on the fish.

If your 24 is crackling off the spool you cannot do much more.

Shame you guys didn't get it, sounds like a great fish.

Yeah, pretty much exactly what we did. Drove off it, tried to get angles to upset the rhythm ... Changed tactics several times. I really don't know what else we could have done. Ian did a bloody great job with the boat. In all honesty I think the fish was just too big. After all the pressure on it still took 500m of line after 2 1/2 hours!

Ye, we saw him too. Heard they lost the fish after a 3 hour fight.

I do need to add in here, we don't have a light grey hull, we were in a 35' Searay, sportscruiser, full white.

I think I did see a Bayliner style 20' is that the one you mentioned? I say think because for over 2 1/2 hours I was concentrating on positioning the boat.

But whew were hooked up to a Jap Mini Submarine for over 2 1/2 hours.

We landed a 116kg fish a couple of years back in 50mtrs of water in Victoria. Took us 4 hours to land on 24kg tackle. The fish was still taking 200 meter runs after 3 hours... whwn they wanna go you just cant stop em!

I do need to add in here, we don't have a light grey hull, we were in a 35' Searay, sportscruiser, full white.

I think I did see a Bayliner style 20' is that the one you mentioned? I say think because for over 2 1/2 hours I was concentrating on positioning the boat.

But whew were hooked up to a Jap Mini Submarine for over 2 1/2 hours.

I was fishing on reel diamond we drove past u guys serval times whilst u were hooked up and were going past at that time of u guys just loosing the fish . Spewing !

We marked some really really big fish definitely over 100 kgs keep in mind one of the long liners caught a 167 kg dressed so aprox 185 kg fish . That's one hell of a fish so there are some huge tuna out there ATM

I'll be out tomorrow. Call sign FinFinder

Call sign toona time

Awesome stuff. Best of luck to you guys. Hopefully between us we should locate some action. Might be a rough start till the water settles. At least it won't be a hard ride home.

We'll be heading to the southern canyons to start with. Not much temp indications due to clouds but a nice altimetry pattern just sth of brownes running diagonally. Just had a super quick look on my phone. Won't know exactly till I get on my puter.

See you all out there.

Awesome stuff. Best of luck to you guys. Hopefully between us we should locate some action. Might be a rough start till the water settles. At least it won't be a hard ride home.

We'll be heading to the southern canyons to start with. Not much temp indications due to clouds but a nice altimetry pattern just sth of brownes running diagonally. Just had a super quick look on my phone. Won't know exactly till I get on my puter.

See you all out there.

I will be out tommorrow also. Call sign Tenacious.

Hi guys, planning to head out Tuesday, I'll be sure my truck breakes down so can't go to work.lol Weather is looking great through out the week, looking forward to your reports tomorrow. Good luck to all you guys.

Call sign Black Marlin. On the 685.

We headed out yesterday - trolled from sunrise to sunset. Put the spread in at browns and trolled 15 miles east of Heatons and back - all for zeros unfortunately. Couldn't find the temp break that BOM suggested would be sitting inside Heatons - water temp was 17.8 - 18.0 degrees all day. Only bait we found was 1 - 2km north east of Heatons but nothing big marked. Good luck to those heading out today and Saturday. We will be out again on Sunday - call sign Arrow

We fished from the 500 towards Heatons, turned NE at Heatons went round 8nm from there, done a bit of circuit work on an area holding bait for a couple of hours then trolled back to the 500 SE of Browns for 0's. The conditions were quite lumpy out wide and I thought that may help produce a bite.

That's two 12 hour days for me this week for no result.

That's fishing.