bluefin arrive off sydney

Andy_c

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a triple hook up at heatons then they kept fish at the boat afterwards, don't know the size. A few people giving similar co ordinates but dunno if they were hangin out or catching fish. A couple of big eye at15keg came over the air, but very quiet over all for the numbers out it seems.

We were on the southern canyons/ Wollongong, for a stripey and a good run on 37 that didn't stick.

Edited by stevefish

We were out yesterday leaving Botany Bay at 6am. Headed straight to some marks 18km SE of Browns Mountain where they where getting some fish earlier in the week. Put the lures in the water (18.1C)

when 5km off the mark and trolled for a couple of hours up to Browns and around there. There were at least a dozen boats bottom bouncing at Browns and by the chatter on the radio guys were being sharked every time. Not one single report on the radio of anyone out there hooking a Bluefin tuna.

About 10:30am we started our cube trail north of Browns and in no time at all we hooked a shark. More than likely a Mako but he didn't jump and just went deep and then bit me off after about 15mins.

We continued cubing for hours with a few more sharks harassing us. At 3:30pm the wind was starting to blow a bit harder and we said "last bait and we'll head in", and 14kgs of pilchards lighter. But no sooner had we said this the rod goes of and we were into a good sized Mako who took to the air a couple of times for us. It was a tag team battle for the next hour and a half gaffing the shark at 5:10pm. We were both bloody sore as this fella really stretched our arms.

With him gaffed and tail roped we started to head home with a 40KM trip back to Botany Bay and only 20 minutes of daylight left. It was a slow old trip and some pretty lumpy conditions, however about 20kms from home it settled down a little. Arrived back at the ramp at 7:20pm absolutely buggered.

He was 8ft long and every bit of 120Kgs.

Hopefully the tuna come back to play soon.

post-2204-0-72460300-1406374600_thumb.jpg

post-2204-0-58662300-1406374643_thumb.jpg

Nice Mako are they any good for the table

I did it in a beer batter last night for dinner and I reckon it was bloody good. I have eaten plenty of sharks they have normally been smaller then this one.

I love the fact shark/flake has no bones.

Friends of mine have been gettin stuck into them all week... spewing I had an engagement to attend of sat night and the weathers turning to crap this week... fingers crossed they hang around a bit longer.. 35km due east of bermi is where youll find em good luck