Big Bluefin on 15kg

Adrian got more views of it than I did, and when we debriefed later, he kept saying he was trying to work out how the hell we were going to fit it through the access door !

I was more we would have just tied it on the swim platform.

But we could both see either one or both of us taking a swim if we hit it green!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haha. I can only imagine the pain and dilemma about where to fit the fish. Must've been terrible. [emoji12]

I think I'd wee myself from excitement if I saw that in the end of my line. Hahaha.

The best thing is that it was caught in Sydney I might add. [emoji106]

Edited by Seazar

Adrian got more views of it than I did, and when we debriefed later, he kept saying he was trying to work out how the hell we were going to fit it through the access door !

I was more we would have just tied it on the swim platform.

But we could both see either one or both of us taking a swim if we hit it green!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No way that fish was fitting through the door. Still, deserved his freedom I think; hope he enjoys his new jewellery.

If yr aware of that then you should also be aware of crews feeding a fish to the boat just above a gaff whilst getting fed super lite tackle in his mouth. Just for the record in the past. I think that is bull.

I think all fast catches deserve questioning. 35 mins is not one of them. I think that was a combo of a good fisherman, team and a lucky run on the fish. 15kg is the breaking strain so drag would not be been more than 10 to 12kg. Not much to hold back on a beast like that. Infact the luck is the low drag. Fish would've maybe stayed on the surface without diving because prolly didn't really feel in trouble. Next step is to chase it down. Hit the drag hard as it gets close to catch up and if luck played their way which it did they'd gaff it green. That's where all the experience lays.

Even though I don't support that kind of fishing I don't really chase records or fish for marlin. I fish to eat but enjoy a fight. I will only chase a fish if I run out of line. Even then I prolly let it spool me in a fair fight as he deserves to live. He earnt it.

15 mins as first mentioned was perfectly fair to question as to how a monster 143kg bft could be caught. 35mins is possible depending on the above mentioned.

That makes a lot of sense. We hit the fish with solid drag early and then after 2 hours went for broke on sunset. Fish then went straight down 500m ... Unstoppable.

No way that fish was fitting through the door. Still, deserved his freedom I think; hope he enjoys his new jewellery.

That makes a lot of sense. We hit the fish with solid drag early and then after 2 hours went for broke on sunset. Fish then went straight down 500m ... Unstoppable.

Kingies do the same thing. People just choose to nail it at sunset for the fight. The light the tackle the higher they stay. Generally speaking. There are exceptions to the rule. Sometimes one can just be unlucky. Edited by Seazar

srollo, obviously you are unaware of Karens talents. Tiddles has a number of world records under her belt. She is president of SGFC and her husband Glen is a past presso.

They are well known for light tackle fishing so a fish that size on 15 is not hard for them to do in 35min, considering they can tag and release a marlin in a minute. When you have a crew and skipper that work well together and have done so for more years than you would of spent at school experience counts. If you still don't believe it it's on video.

Agree, amazing the skill of experience anglers and crew

Seazar, fair answer but the fish was trolled up not fed a bait. Now unless you have been aboard tantrum and see personally how they work without your method then you may realize it it possible to do and luck plays a huge role as does quality tackle etc etc. Many marlin have been t&r in a minute.

Tiddles caught a lifetime fish in 30 odd minutes and is to be congratulated on her effort no matter how it's done.

Records don't bother me either but we've all broken one!:) .

One of the things that is always popping up when somebody catches a world record or even a great fish on what some people seem like light tackle to some is not light tackle to others is if the capture was in a short time like this tuna was caught. Oh15 minutes or even 35 minutes what ever the case maybe how do they do that is the normal reaction. Well regardless of whether it is a short time or a longtime it doesn't really make a difference to be honest. There are a few things that this crew (who I know personally)and all the others who capture large fish on light line is that they plan and make sure their tackle and everything that goes with game-fishing is in perfect order. They have fresh line, checked drags, swivels are new, leaders and traces are ready and measured, crimps the right size and crimped correctly, rollers on rods that actually roll, reel drags are smooth so that you can actually go past STRIKE(1/3) and not wait till 5 hours into the fight to go past that magic button whilst you line is fresh. That is not even half of the things that YOU can control. Let alone your boat that is in good working order. You getting the picture.

These crews and others like them capture these types of great fish because they "CONTROL THE THINGS THEY CAN CONTROL" as best as they can. You cant control the weather , whether the fish bite or lots of other variables but there are a lot of things that you can.They will be the first people to tell you that they did get some luck in this capture. But sometimes you make your own luck by doing the planning and preparation for the day that the luck is on there side and a fish like this tuna makes a mistake and they get to capitalize on it. They just back up and gaff them is the normal comment and reaction to a great fish like this on light tackle.I have been involved in a lot or this type of fishing some of it for world records or even just tournament fishing and as they say proper preparation prevents piss poor performance. Yes there will be heart ache and the stories of the one that got away but there can be the stories of the day when this went to plan and you had luck on your side. Most people cant tell me that they would not like to capture a large fish like this if they had the chance. Some say we just fish for the fun and the fight and wonder what they fought a fish for a long time and lose it. That is not fun. Sure it is all fun for some losing a fish but it is much more fun when you land the one you are targeting and spending huge amounts of money trying to do so.

Some people will never understand what it takes to capture a fish like Karen Wrights and how they did it but those guys on Tantrum and similar boats like them do know what it takes and they will probably do it again at some stage. Don't knock what you don't understand as there are always people willing to comment on 'light' tackle fishing saying that all you do is back u and gaff them. Believe you me it is not like that at all.