Terminal Tackle for SBT

Hey Raiders,

Really enjoy reading the reports and tips on this forum, but this is my first foray into posting.

Have been out wide before but never targeted SBT. Just got myself a new medium game reel spooled with 500m of 30lb mono and with the hot bite on at the moment, was hoping to christen it on the weekend.

I'm wondering what people think is the best method for setting the outfit up for trolling skirts and x-raps. I was thinking a plaited double to wind on leader and then tying on a big mean optia snap swivel for ease of changing lures, but am really open to advice from other folks.

We may stop an cube as well, so what rig is best for drifting pillies in the trail???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope to be posting a first catch report on Saturday night!

bc77

Edited by bc77

You need a minimum of a 50w and generally 24kg. Leaders can range from 200-400lb. Not a game for the faint heart. If your gear can't stand up, your no chance! Hope that helps

Cheers scratchie!!!

You don't really need a 50w, ideally it would be nice. A Shimano Tyrnos 30 accounted for 70kg sbt for us.

cheers

You don't really need a 50w, ideally it would be nice. A Shimano Tyrnos 30 accounted for 70kg sbt for us.

cheers

You did well. Sorry, I was speaking generally. Every game boat I've been on runs 50 or 80. Wouldn't want to be under gunned on a fish of a lifetime!

Thanks all for the advice. We ended up heading out from Kiama and headed due east for about 70km...didn't turn a reel all day on any tuna....got to the 2000 fathom mark, water temp ranged between 16.6 and 17.2 all the way. No signs of bait or schools on the sounder so we headed back in to the edge of the shelf and dropped down to the bottom. Got my first hapuka of about 7kg and was sharked a couple of times on gemfish....just caught their heads! Had a small mako at the back of the boat for about 20 minutes, but no wire trace.

All in all it was a great day on the water even though the tuna didn't turn up. My mate had 3 24kg rods on board and we also ran 2 15kg in our spread of five, so it would have been interesting to see how we'd have done if something big did turn up. Will definitely keep at it...keen to get our first decent tuna some day soon. If I'm under gunned on 15kg, I'll just have an excuse to upgrade, and I guess it will be a story to tell and a lesson learnt!

Best of luck to all who are hunting them!

bc77