Best way to cook YFT

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I'm wondering if anyone has some great recipes for cooking yft?

Also some side dishes that might compliment the fish?

Now remember, I'm a fisherman not master chef but I can cook well. I would really like to put on a feed for my whole family!

Thanks

Cheers scratchie!!!

Must be rare in the middle, seared both sides, otherwise you kill it

And with the amount you have......sashimi a plate of it at least. Cut it thinly, serve with soy sauce, lemon, and wasabi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Ian Bat

Must be rare in the middle, seared both sides, otherwise you kill it

And with the amount you have......sashimi a plate of it at least. Cut it thinly, serve with soy sauce, lemon, and wasabi

Ok mate, just prepared and ate my first plate of sashimi. Yummmmmmmmmmm! Family wasn't a fan, probably the idea of raw fish!

Now for the main!!!!

I agree with the above but don't use olive oil. It's a low temperature oil great for dressings but not for flash frying. Try rice bran oil ( much higher cooking temp) . Try with a simple lime mayo. ( literally just squeeze some lime into good mayo) or capers and anchovies make an amazing addition if you slice the seared. Tuna and toss in a fresh salad. God I'm hungry now!

Ok mate, just prepared and ate my first plate of sashimi. Yummmmmmmmmmm! Family wasn't a fan, probably the idea of raw fish!

Now for the main!!!!

By the way, I always carry Wasabi and Soy Sauce in the boat

I agree with the above but don't use olive oil. It's a low temperature oil great for dressings but not for flash frying. Try rice bran oil ( much higher cooking temp) . Try with a simple lime mayo. ( literally just squeeze some lime into good mayo) or capers and anchovies make an amazing addition if you slice the seared. Tuna and toss in a fresh salad. God I'm hungry now!

Gees Steve, your making me hungry and I just ate! Will try that still have 2 kg left. :)

By the way, I always carry Wasabi and Soy Sauce in the boat

Will be sending Gerry a message to do the same!

Btw, my kids absolutely smashed their dinner, even my fussy 4yo.

Hi Scatchie,

I always recon that yellowfin is good enough to eat just like you would eat a steak.

Fry it up in a hot frying pan with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper.

Cheers Jim

Thanks jim,

Cooked it your way and it is now the families favourite!

Quote....."oh this is the best dad, do you think you could go catch some tomorrow?"

Misses rolls the eyebrows

"I wish son, I wish!!!

Thanks jim,

Cooked it your way and it is now the families favourite!

Quote....."oh this is the best dad, do you think you could go catch some tomorrow?"

Misses rolls the eyebrows

"I wish son, I wish!!!

Cheers mate...if the kids like it you're a mile in front!

My kids call it "fishy steak".

Saltwater dog has a point about the rice bran oil.

The bigger the portions and the more you cook at one time make this more critical...

nothing worse that ending up with the steaks steamed in the pan.

Cheers

Jim

years ago when yft were plentyfull over 350kgs total in a year bbgfc we one other gamefish trophy two years running in the 80s

i would cut them up into small qubes and egg and breadcrum them.would have about 10 people over for dinner.large potaro bake and cook the crumed yft in very hot oil till the breadcrums were cooked no longer.dipped in sweet chille sauce nice.all the tuna went never anything left.still do flathead this way

jim