e tec or suzuki

don.a

Repowering my 685 cruise craft with twin 115s-130s rated for 270hp. I would like to run 4 strokes if I could run 140 Suzuki 4 bangers I wouldn't have a problem but don't want to lose out of the hole power or top speed. Evinrude di 115 two strokes on at the moment not sure about 115 four strokes. I am thinking 130 etec at the moment. Any opinions out there.

if i was buying 2 stroke I would go E-tec but personally i prefer the 4 stroke, Im not sure what the Suzuki has but with the Honda having the variable valve timing (Vtec) or in the newer models (BOOST) theres plenty of take off power.

hi all

Im new to the site and found some great reports,info all great reading anyway Iv had a 90 etec on a 520 formosa and was great but sold the boat and brought new 580 formosa with 140 suzuki and i would never go back to the etec i thought the etec was quiet and good on fuel mate there is no comparison you can hardly hear the suzuki run at idle and at 25knts quiet as pushes my boat as 34nkts wot and great on fuel slightly slower out of the hole then the etec but overall i love it

cheers

Edited by beno41079

Comparing a 90HP and a 140HP is a waste of time, the 130HP E-TEC is quieter than the 90HP E and on par with any 4-Stroke plus goes better, lower emissions, better fuel economy especially at low speed, less moving parts, no internal anodes, lower ownership costs and make sure if you get a Suzuki you get 5 years NON DECLINING factory backed warranty-which you will not. All this plus SST prop and make sure you get in writing what 5 years worth of servicing on thoses engines will be- you will be spending around $2K every year to service them if the dealer goes "by the book".

As for long term better I sure hope your engine does not become one of the MANY less than 10 year old Suzuki's/ Johnson 4-Stroke we have seen that have corroded from inside out-have one here at present.

Everyone has their opinion but some are more educated and experienced than others and topics like this come up all the time with everyone throwing their 2 cents in.

don.a why not go for a run in either and make up your own mind and buy from a place that has experience because I do not care what brand of clean tech engine you are talking about they need proper set-up and diagnostic equipment. Gone are the days of backyarders working on these new engines. Also I can guarentee you one 140HP 4-Stroke will not even come close to planing that hull and that is important on twin rigs and if I was doing it myself I would get the V6 135HP E-TEC's without even thinking twice because they will blow the 4-Strokes out of the water in torque and being V6 are even quieter than any 4 cylinder 4-Stroke working hard. They are basically de-tuned 200HP's and come in counter rotating engines to running the M2 gearbox that the 300HP uses so a heap more durable than the 140HP Suzuki gearcases.

Hi there I have a 130hp E-Tec and to say I am very disappointed with it would be an under statement! I replaced a 120 HP carburetted Force and fuel economy is very similar to the old motor and the use of the liquid gold XD 100 oil is at about 50 - 1(same as the old Force) and the motor is disappointing with the amount of exhaust fumes, making people who would not normally get sick feel ill.

I was so disappointed with the fuel and oil usage that I complained to the dealer( a very well known long established dealer) after only 2 trips and they sent down a Tech to test it all out on the computer ,and I was told all was working within acceptable limits!!

Then when I had a overheating issue and it was in for warranty I again complained about the oil and fuel usage , this time they water tested it with the computer attached and again said all was good.

Next problem was an Injector failed and again it was in for warranty (to a different dealer this time ) and again I complained about the poor oil and fuel usage , all the tests again said all was running at acceptable limits.

When taken in for its 3 year service ,once again I complained about the oil and fuel and fumes ..again all came back as acceptable ( not to me by a long shot).

The 130 E Tec motor starts and runs well all day and is fairly quiet(nothing like a 4 stroke tho)

I would not and could not recommend the 130HP E Tec from my own experience ..that said I know of others who own 115HP and 90HP E Tecs and they are really happy with their motors.

After doing a lot more research and taking runs in others boats with 4 stroke Yamahas on them .. if I could afford to replace my 130 E Tec I would buy a 115HP or 150HP 4 stroke Yamaha immediatly.

Regards

Kevin

I think you will find it hard to make decision based on what experience other boaties have had with any particular outboard. I say this because its mainly the people who have had a bad experience with a certain brand that feel the need to pass on the info.

To put it simply, all manufacturers let the odd lemon slip thru and its just really bad luck if you were the unfortunate person who got that lemon.

Do your research and make your decision on what motor best suits you based on specs, value for money, warranty and servicing costs.

After looking at all the pro's and cons you will probably be happy either way as long as you don't end up with a lemon.

We'll Huey after reading your post it's clear I should have went another etec and not the suzuki because the 135 e will be much quieter and better on fuel then the suzuki much the same as was promised from the 90 etec but that's not what I found also I've just come back from a trip up to Darwin and seen a lot of charter boats didn't see any with etecs seems they like four strokes also

beno41079 you can buy anything you want and comparing a 90HP to a 90HP the fuel usage is the same-done it here many of times. Yes the V6 135HP E-TEC will use less fuel at the same RPM as the 4 cylinder 4-Stroke and at cruise speed it will be quieter too because it does not have to rev as hard. At idle the noise is probably the other way around but both technologies are quiet-SIMPLE as that. All cab are Fords or Toyotas, does that make them better than say a Mercedes and yes alot of commercial guys use 4-Strokes and good luck to them but there are plenty that drive E-TEC too with good success-it what makes the world go around -everyone likes different things but lets compare apple to apples or HP to HP. Have you even driven a V6 E-TEC, if not I am not sure how you can have a experienced view. Best of luck with your current engine and I hope it does not cost alot to service and I do not need to have a discussion with you because you like what you have now and that is great and I like what I choose to stock but I think I would have used and seen inside many more outboards of all brands then yourself.

Sorro, THERE IS NO way an E-TEC will use the same fuel and oil as a Force and yes we used to sell those back in the day too so again have experience. Why not bring it in here and I am sure I will sort it out for you. What are your WOT RPM because my money would be on low 5K's and if so you are lugging the engine and therefore builds up heat and everything else. Your call but if someone overprops any brand of clean tech outboard the experience they have is not good but again I do not believe you would use the same fuel as the Force. For a start the V4 idles on 0.4L/hr -you can see that on the I-Command and the old Force would of been about 10 times that at low speed-this does not relate to propping or boat either. The offer is open if you want to make that engine run as it should and if the dealer that you bought it from is out in western Sydney and who you took it too then it would not surprise me the engine will not be set-up right.

Hi Huey the dealer who sold and set up the engine was a MAJOR dealer in the southern suburbs..WOT Revs are 5800,it definatly runs at about 50 - 1 oil usage, and is extremely fumy at idle and trolling .I would be more then happy to bring the boat to you if you could solve the problems, as I am obviously less then happy with it.I will take note of the fuel usage by the gauge at different revs next time I get to take the boat out and see what you think.

Regards Kevin

Edited by sorro

Hi Huey the dealer who sold and set up the engine was a MAJOR dealer in the southern suburbs..WOT Revs are 5800,it definatly runs at about 50 - 1 oil usage, and is extremely fumy at idle and trolling .I would be more then happy to bring the boat to you if you could solve the problems, as I am obviously less then happy with it.I will take note of the fuel usage by the gauge at different revs next time I get to take the boat out and see what you think.

Regards Kevin

Hi Kevin, no problem and the offer is open. Make sure you can clearly see the AV plate when trimmed correctly too. See what the fuel burn nubers are at idle / at 4K and at WOT.

Cheers,

Huey.

If running xd 100 oil in the etec why is it using a 50 :1 ratio they are tuned 100:1 ratio wen using xd 100 when using normal oils they run 50:1 something don't sound right there as for fumes from the etec I dunno bout that I have one mines great no fumes,smoke or anything starts with half a turn everytime even after a month of not being run

fisher jay even that's not correct at idle its something like 200 :1 or less, huey can confirm

the oil is not put into the fuel its injected directly into the moving parts of the engine.

im currently looking myself for a 115 and the pricing is pretty similar, although with the etec you will get better gauges and a stainless prop.

running costs no matter what people tell me seem to be the same buying oil versus servicing and if doing a lot of hours can swing in favour of the 4 stroke

but i am someone who will take it to a dealer ever 100 hours/12months anyway.

in my situation all i am saving is a oil filter every 12 months

also resale on any 2 stroke is woeful compared to a 4 stroke and trying to sell a boat with one is difficult

We have no problem selling second hand boats with clean tech 2-Strokes-even carby 2-Strokes are not hard-just will not be worth as much as any clean tech engine. That is typical of what I hear some people in this industry claim and in fact the last second hand 150HP E-TEC we had, done over 600 hours in less than 5 years, sold before it was even removed from the old boat this week. Considering an E-TEC idles on 0.7L/hr (half the amount of any other clean tech engine) the fuel:oil ratio is pointess at that RPM. The engine could idle for a whole year on what the average boater does in hours and use less than a litre of oil. I disagree and the more hours you do, some brands of 4-stroke require 50 hour servicing to keep the warranty, then the 'service costs" INCLUDING oil swings in Evinrude's favour

. All I say to people is if you choose to buy what ever brand you like make sure you have in writing what the service costs will be over the warranty period and make sure you get 5 years non declining warranty from the manufacturer (not the importer) in writing too. I have heard some huge amounts paid for even the 3 month service and some dealers really rip people off.

Cheers,

Huey.