27mhz radio - no support after 2015

locodave

I googled and searched the Marine Rescue Site last night.

The only comment they have on there is, that they monitor both VHF and to a LESSER degree now 27Mhz. There is nothing saying they are ceasing monitoring in the future.

They would also have a Duty of care, as such, I do not believe they could cease monitoring of 27Mhz without a fairly intensive media education campaign.

Leaflets at boat ramps, adverts in boating section of the SMH, boating magazines etc. I would also expect that dealers such as myself and Huey would be notified by GME, Uniden, Icom, etc etc, with sales material to promote replacing 27Mhz with VHF.

It is a bit of 18 months since I did a duty at Solander, there was no sign at all there of 27 being phased out.

That being said, VHF has better reception, transmission, and more traffic on it now, with most fishos chattering on 21, you will get more value out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I googled and searched the Marine Rescue Site last night.

The only comment they have on there is, that they monitor both VHF and to a LESSER degree now 27Mhz. There is nothing saying they are ceasing monitoring in the future.

They would also have a Duty of care, as such, I do not believe they could cease monitoring of 27Mhz without a fairly intensive media education campaign.

Leaflets at boat ramps, adverts in boating section of the SMH, boating magazines etc. I would also expect that dealers such as myself and Huey would be notified by GME, Uniden, Icom, etc etc, with sales material to promote replacing 27Mhz with VHF.

It is a bit of 18 months since I did a duty at Solander, there was no sign at all there of 27 being phased out.

That being said, VHF has better reception, transmission, and more traffic on it now, with most fishos chattering on 21, you will get more value out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed Ian. I did a search also and there is no official statement from any statutory body. There is only mention that there may be less monitoring at some stage.

Here is a link to a bulletin 2013 from ACMA CLICK HERE[

Perhaps it is time for us to run some more fishraider marine radio courses (MROCP)

I will contact ACMA, AMC and TLISC re the changes mentioned

Those of us that have an MROCP might need to do an upgrade. I am sure we could get a group together once that starts. Any invigilators among us?

Marine radio certificates of proficiency

A Certificate of Proficiency shows that the holder has the skill to operate certain types of radios.

Five different certificates of proficiency and one certificate of endorsement are issued to operators of marine radios:

Note: A new qualification – The Australian Waters Qualification (AWQ) is proposed to be introduced in the near future. This proposed new qualification will be suitable for marine radio users who operate VHF marine radios in Australian Territorial Waters only. (Australian Territorial Waters are defined as all waters up to 12 nautical miles from the Australian coastline.)

• Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP)
  • Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP)
  • Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) General Operators Certificate of Proficiency (GOCP)
  • GMDSS First-Class Radio Electronic Certificate (1st-Class REC)
  • GMDSS Second-Class Radio Electronic Certificate (2nd-Class REC) and
  • Marine Satellite Communications Certificate of Endorsement (Satcom)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Ok... I must admit I had to look up the meaning of "invigilator" - and maybe because I don't believe in cheating I never learnt that word (he he he)...

Anyway, if we are talking about assembling a group interested in attending and graduating from an MROVCP course - count me in.

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo ..... (practicing already!).....

In relation to Ian Bat " I googled the marine rescue site lat night " That information is somewhat outdated -> 4th October 2013<-

UPDATED :-

The National Volunteer Marine Rescue Committee has decided to discontinue the monitoring of distress, urgency and safety channels on the 27 MHz band from 2015.

I suggest any fishermen not holding a VHF licence MROVCP, get cracking and secure one asap. Remember, it's your life and those on board at risk !

:sun:

• 2 weeks later...