Lake Conjola

phild

G Day folks just hoping for some advice on fishing lake conjola. I know its very seasonal so any advice as to when to chase the flatties and school jew would be great. I was also wondering what the bass fishing up the feeder creeks is like or are there better creeks or rivers in the nearby areas to start looking? Thanks for any help

Phil

Edited by phild

Nice area Phil,

Where the inlet meets the lake is called The Steps 'cause it steps away from sandbar to 30m deep. Plenty of fish are caught in this area.

If the tide allows you into Lake Beringer that's where most of the bigg flathead are ... fish the points and drift the sandbars :thumbup:

The inlet itself is a great spot for Blackfishing while the quieter arms off Lake Conjola hold some nice bream.

The surf beach is renowned for some great Jewies over the years :thumbup:

Good Luck ... but leave me some :biggrin2:

Edited by Whitto

Thanks whitto, yeah it is a great area we recently inherated my wifes fathers house in manyana after he passed away last year and ive fished the lake a few times with out much luck. Do you live down that way? What time of year does the lake fish best? I know they get good school jew in the deep holes just beyond the steps but not sure when its best to target then down that way. Do you know any bass waters round there? Thanks for the advice so far

Glad to help Phil,

We have a van on site at Conjola ... along with several thousand others :wacko:

Best fishing is Nov-March like most coastal waterways in NSW

The Lake for Jews is a new one on me ... the surf beach has produced some large jews when the tide/moon/gutters are just right.

Never targeted Bass there ... more likely to find them up the reaches of the Sholhaven, West of Batemans Bay.

A couple of things to watch for in the next 2 months ... First, there is usually a school of greenback Tailor shows up in the lake (round the Steps) and later, large schools of Bream will migrate through the channel into the Lake from the ocean. The Bream will then go on the chew :thumbup:

Give me a call when the Tailor show ... they are great fun :yahoo:

Be aware that the lake is infested with Calurpa Taxafolia (an imported weed) and you need to wash your gear to avoid transfering it to other waterways/areas.

Thanks again Whitto, Ive heard of the grenbacks and some great jew captures of the beach espically the bommie a bit further down towards mollymook. ill be down for the October long weekend so if your down that way and keen for a fish let me know by PM and ill give you my contact number. Really looking forward to taking the boat down with me next time and going blue water.

Cheers again Phil :thumbup:

Edited by phild

Hey phil,

sorry it took me this long to post some info but here goes. A close mate lives on the lake at conjola and fishes it pretty regularly and i try to get down that way myself as often as possible. The conjola flathead classic was held a few weeks ago and by all reports they did really well considering the time of year. Best locations were the deep water just off the steps as whitto mentioned to you. The better quality fish were found here. Beringer fished slow as the taxifolia has really taken hold in there(sad news for all). This is usually the spot were the big lizards were found. Not so anymore.

There have been reports of jew caught in the lake and two caught by one angler fishing plastics one the one day. These were caught near killarney point, which is a little surprising considering the depth is only about 4m and a sandy bottom.

The channel that runs along the caravans in the lower section of the lake holds some good flatties and large bream at night near the oyster racks.

Mella Mella is a good spot but hasn't fired up yet, still too cold. Fisherman's paradise is also a little slow at the moment. Hope that helps. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Kev and Wayne for your advice its fantastic water isnt it. Like I said Ill be going down for the October long weekend so if any of you guys are around then lov to catch up for a sessh so P.M if your heading down.

Cheers Phil

Yeah I was thinking about going down then...

But all the crowds and traffic normally keep me away cause i couldnt be bothered with it :mad3:

I normally just take a friday or monday off and go down then... :thumbup:

I love it down there, been going there for more than 7-8 years now!!!

Wayne

i love it down there ...where i lernt to fish ..stopped going there once we got the big boat and just went there last holidays and caught some good fish in the shollwer part from the enterace to the steps ... dad rowed me from the enterence to the steps and we caught nothing :074: