Stainless Steel Rod Holders for an Aluminium boat

Robofish

depends on what sort of fishing your doing. if you look closely at the cheaper ones you will notice they are spot welded, and therefore not as strong as the more expensive holders that are welded the full way around. the thickness of the stainless also comes into play and is worth taking into consideration. And the quality of stainless steel. You dont necessarily need 316 as they wont be getting submerged. Another thing to consider, especially with the aluminium boat is a rubber or plastic 'washer' around the holder. If your fishing with heavy tackle the spot welded cheaper rod holders may not stand up to the task. however if its estuary fishing with generally lighter tackle they would be fine

• Like 1

Dave . Just had a look in the Bias catelog , I see what you mean in the wide range of prices.

There must be a reason & I think the only way to determin which is the best for your requirment & value for money is to visit a store & check out the range.

You may also like to contact Gary "brickman". He may have or , be able to make , something suitable.

Geoff

• Like 1

If you can get them easy enough i would use them every day of the week over stainless in an alloy boat. Honestly I had an Aluminium boat that started to get electrolysis in it and you cant stop it once it starts. Good quality Aluminium holders are definitly strong enough even for game fishing or driving Kings out of shallow ground at hook up.

Dave

Hi,

I want to fit stainless steel 30 deg rod holders to replace the plastic ones on my boat. Can any of you give me any pointers on what to look for - the ones I have found so far range quite widely in price?

Dave

Robofish,

Check this site out:

http://wholesalefishingsupplies.bounce.com.au/#/rod-holders/4548672365

Edited by Robroy

• 3 years later...
On 17/08/2014 at 5:16 PM, Robofish said:

Thanks Dave - I have found some aluminium holders and they are actually cheaper. Are there any down sides to them - would they bend easily?

I have 2 alloy holders at home if you are interested in buying them off me.  I was going to use it in place of the plastic ones for the downrigger spot but it didn’t quite cover the paint marks of the plastic one.

I ended up making an aluminium  rod holder to mount underneath the gunnel with the original plastic one fitting in like a sleave.  I will dig up photos if you like.

With the alloy ones I’d be fitting with sikka flex and large alloy rivets.  If I was to use stainless screws I would make sure no part of the stainless touches the alloy.  The same thing if I used stainless rod holders no stainless would touch alloy anywhere.

Edited by Welster
Typo
  • Like 1